CHAP257SSX

Need better / louder sounds !!! JL Audio or WS ?

To answer the other question in regards to what speed for music ; three separate  thoughts 

1. While the kids are tubing or wake boarding they want to hear their song 

2. just chilling in a cove 

3. Cruising at roughly 25 mph 

Boy, I hate #1.  For that to happen, a great portion of the lake will have to listen to it as well.  No law against it though!  My mother used to tell me: "It's OK to want".  Meaning, just because you want it doesn't mean you're gonna get it!  ;)

Not trying to be salty, just hoping folks that can project music 75' behind the boat at volume realize just how far across the water that carries.

As a thought about the  amount of watts are needed to become too loud to people in the rear of the boat.  I built up a 8'  WW II   PTB . It has a dual 200 watt audio amplifier to boost the engine sound up.  At full power & 8 large Cadillac speakers. I MUST WEAR ear protection..   It does hurt if 30 feet away at WOT.

3 hours ago, CHAP257SSX said:

Steve and Steph 

keep this going, I don’t feel it’s getting de railed. Good info. 

I know nothing about stereo systems so the more the better. 

what I am hearing is that you don’t feel the M800/8V2 is sufficient to push the 6 factory Polk speakers, the JL sub and the two 7.7 tower speakers ?? Is that correct ?

The 800/8 is going to deliver 200W rms to the woofer. Thats ok. However, its only going to deliver 75W rms to each tower speaker. Thats very light IMO. OK if you are at anchor and chilling behind the boat. 

3 hours ago, CHAP257SSX said:

1. While the kids are tubing or wake boarding they want to hear their song 

You will need four 8" coaxial tower pods pushed to their potential, to achieve this. Or, a single pair of large HLCD (horn loaded compression drivers), which was mentioned earlier in the 10" or 11" variety. Even then, proper, amp wattage is essential. 

4 hours ago, CHAP257SSX said:

Steve and Steph 

what I am hearing is that you don’t feel the M800/8V2 is sufficient to push the 6 factory Polk speakers, the JL sub and the two 7.7 tower speakers ?? Is that correct ?

Right... you want 75-100 going to the six in boats, 150-200 going to your towers and 300-400 to sub. 

Could do a JL 700/5 for sub and bridge the 4 other channels to your two towers and then run a JL 600/6 to the in boats.

5 hours ago, CHAP257SSX said:

Steve and Steph 

Listen to @Was_Wylie_Tunes, he does this professionally. 

We need opinions on this setup. It is not water proof in all likely hood.  BUUTT   It does use the more efficient ………..DIRECTIONAL ………..type of speakers to reduce scattering volume everywhere.    Sold at Best Buy for $ 219.98  …...Boise 201 series. V directional / reflecting speaker system.  77 reviews excellent ratings.   We know it might not survive in driving rain.  BUT  The class of speaker design is what is important.  Then search for that type / class of speaker that can take driving rain.

What say Iggy ?

6 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

We need opinions on this setup. It is not water proof in all likely hood.  BUUTT   It does use the more efficient ………..DIRECTIONAL ………..type of speakers to reduce scattering volume everywhere.    Sold at Best Buy for $ 219.98  …...Boise 201 series. V directional / reflecting speaker system.  77 reviews excellent ratings.   We know it might not survive in driving rain.  BUT  The class of speaker design is what is important.  Then search for that type / class of speaker that can take driving rain.

What say Iggy ?

You must have a lot of free time on your hands. 

14 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I have unlimited time. 

Good for you.  I hope your sarcastic posts are entertaining to you, they aren’t to anyone else. 

On 10/16/2019 at 8:03 PM, Phillbo said:

I built my tunes for quality sound, not LOUD. My music is typically being played at a level that the friends in the boat rafted up next to me can still carry on a conversation with me from their boat.  

I hate having to yell over music to have a conversation. 

Yep!