Sign in to follow this  
Water Dawg 6

Outdrive Trim

I think I've had more trouble with these trim pumps than anyone I know.  Yesterday I went out to the boat and my Port engine trims up and down with no issues.  Tried the Starboard engine and it goes down with no issues, then when I tried to bring it up, it just clicks.  I just replaced the Solenoid on this pump last month.  I'm assuming it's the solenoid again, so I just ordered one.  Just don't understand how they keep gong out.  I've check all my wires, I have good connections to the battery and ground.  If the new solenoid doesn't work, I guess I'll try to bypass the Trim Limit Switch by disconnecting those wires and twisting them together.  Who knows.....

Is there a dying / intermittent power relay going ?  Likely  ?   Swap the relay from the other drive to prove it is the relay going slowly.  Down contacts last much longer. Up is when a lot of current is needed.

Binding & or old age is wearing out the relay.

Some models have a relay..I don't believe mine does.  I've searched for the relays before and can't find any.  On some models they're attached to the ECM and some are under the dash.  But I've traced all my wires and nothing connects to a relay.

FIXED IT (again)..Basically, the main power wire connects to the large fuse on the trim pump with a circle type connector that fits at the end of the power wire.  Well the circle itself was broken in two basically just hanging there.  So it did get a little power, enough for the engine to go down, but not enough to go up.  Replaced the connector and she works like a champ.

That is a weird failure .

Why would the ring connector break ?  Is the wire too long with no support from other wires ? Try to tie it to something within a foot or 2 of the ring connector this time.

6 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

FIXED IT (again)..Basically, the main power wire connects to the large fuse on the trim pump with a circle type connector that fits at the end of the power wire.  Well the circle itself was broken in two basically just hanging there.  So it did get a little power, enough for the engine to go down, but not enough to go up.  Replaced the connector and she works like a champ.

That's just great.  I guess that's the reward for really getting in there and digging and tracing wires which can be a PITA.  But hopefully you can return that 2nd solenoid?

I'm about to embark on replacing the seals on the leaking starboard cylinder as I bought the kit to do it without removing any of the hydraulic lines!  Trying to pull apart a cylinder while the lines are still attached to the unit that should be a lot of fun.  We'll see how that goes lol.  

Then I have a whole new charger I'm replacing the older one with.  That should be a bit more straightforward.  But looking behind the switch panel and theres some messy factory wiring hanging and dangling and could use some serious reorganizing and buttoning up.  Will do that while installing the new charger.

Another reason why i want inboards. Sorry to say but true.

I'm with you Iggy...Next boat will be Inboard.  Or some Outboards since I do go out in the ocean and with Outboards you get a lot better fuel consumption, so I can go out further.

1 hour ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

I'm with you Iggy...Next boat will be Inboard.  Or some Outboards since I do go out in the ocean and with Outboards you get a lot better fuel consumption, so I can go out further.

I'm not finding fuel consumption numbers to be all that good for the Yamaha line anyway. I'm shopping a 280 CC Cobia and have looked at twin 200's (4 cylinder), twin 250's (6 cylinder), and a single 425 which is a direct injected V-8. The 425 is slick because it has their new effortless electronic power steering so there is no bulky steering ram, and uses a single umbilical from transom to engine. Clean installation and super smooth and quiet. It also diverts exhaust flow from thru-prop to a passage above the cavitation plate when shifted into reverse and is said to provide 135% better reverse thrust than the 300's. The single 425 weighs about the same as the twin 200's, and a little less than the twin 250's. All that said, the MPG sit at around 2.4 with the 250's and 425, and 2.79 with the twin 200's. Top end speed is around 49 with the big power and 43 with the twin 4's. I average 2.97 at 35 MPH with a top speed of 60 +/- with my 496 HO and the reverse thrust of the twin prop Bravo III is impressive and I never have to add RPM while docking. I've been test running the outboards and the lack of reverse response is the hardest thing for me to get used to. Now, having twins will have advantages too, but then there is the double maintenance. I've ruled out Tidewater, Sea Hunt, and Boston Whaler, and have narrowed it down to a Key West, or the Cobia, but the performance and economy numbers run about the same. Blackwater and Southport are out of my price range, but are beautiful boats, but so heavy that they almost need twin 425's. Don't want that level of fuel consumption. Suzuki has a dual prop offering on their big engine, and I understand that an aftermarket company is developing the same for the larger Yamaha's. The have TRP offerings for their smaller engines but they are designed to provide increased transom lift and less bow rise for skinny water operation. Be interesting to see if Yamaha responds with their own version of a DP for use on the heavy offshore boats. I know that outboard fuel consumption is a fraction of what it was in the old 2-cycle days, and now they are getting close to big block numbers, but if it's a economy race, still pretty hard to be an injected small block.     W

Wingnut, Cobia makes a great boat and their customer service is also top notch!  I really don't want twins anymore either due to the dual maintenance.  We'll see, I have to sell this gas guzzling Chap first with twin 5.0 Mercruisers.  Then I can start to shop around. Hard time of year to try to sell a boat.

19 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Wingnut, Cobia makes a great boat and their customer service is also top notch!  I really don't want twins anymore either due to the dual maintenance.  We'll see, I have to sell this gas guzzling Chap first with twin 5.0 Mercruisers.  Then I can start to shop around. Hard time of year to try to sell a boat.

They just built their first 280 CC with the single 425 Yamaha and sent me the data. I though both performance and economy would be a tick better. Hard to keep those off-shore hulls up out of the water but the ride quality is so much better when the water gets snotty. Took our Chap up to Saint Augustine inlet yesterday and had the ICW to ourselves for most of the 24 miles. Homeland Security had 4 of their new RIB's out there with Quad Merc 350 power. They blew by us like we were anchored. I'm finding that the 256 SSX is better suited to the inside waters here than it is even in our home base in the upper Chesapeake. The average day boat is smaller, and slower, but most are outboard and center console. Palm Coast is the only gas dock between Saint Augustine and Daytona so economy is important to these guys. Flagler county does have two very nice free launch facilities so many trailer. I have ours on a lift behind the Condo, right on the ICW and this time of year the "professional captains" fly by bringing the snowbirds yachts down from the north east so you have to keep your eyes open and plan a quick move. Watching the 50 somethings fly by at near WOT is fun to watch but not fun to be a part of. There is always wind and current and they built this place with no impact piles to lay on so approach has to be perfect and three tries seems to be the average. Returned the other day from Matezez Inlet to find 15 MPH winds with gusts to 20. PITA. I can see why Joy Stick with twins is becoming popular down here as the developers just don't invest much in their Marinas. Four piles and a boat lift set at right angles to ICW currents and traffic. If we buy here, it will be back on the canal system for sure.  W

RPM MPH GPH MPG NAME: Cobia Boats 1000 5.3 2.0 2.69 STREET: 3207 Industrial 29th Street 1500 7.5 3.3 2.27 CITY, STATE, ZIP: Ft. Pierce, FL 34946-8642 2000 9.3 4.3 2.18 PHONE: 772-465-0631 2500 13.0 6.5 2.00 FAX: 772-489-2168 3000 18.3 9.3 1.97 WEBSITE: www.cobiaboats.com 3500 24.8 11.7 2.12 BOAT DETAILS 4000 31.5 15.4 2.05 BOAT MODEL 280 DC 4500 38.3 20.6 1.86 LENGTH 27' 07" 5000 41.8 27.6 1.52 BEAM 9' 08" 5500 48.0 34.5 1.39 PONTOON DETAIL N/A 6000 50.0 36.9 1.36 DRY WEIGHT (Boat Mfr. Pub.) 5680 LBS MAXIMUM HP 500 HP ACCELERATON FUEL CAPACITY 172 Gallons TIME TO PLANE WEIGHT AS TESTED 7184 LBS 0 ~ 30 MPH 8.36 RADAR GUN ENGINE DETAILS ENGINE MODEL/S XF425USA COMMENTS HORSEPOWER 425 HP @ 5500 RPM

Test weight includes 2 batteries, 85 gallons of fuel, 2 people, safety and test gear

INDUCTION EFI/VCT/DOHC DISPLACEMENT 5.6 L WEIGHT 977 LBS GEAR RATIO 1.79 : 1 ENGINE MOUNTING HEIGHT MOUNTING HOLE POSITION 2 VENTILATION PLATE HEIGHT TEST CONDITIONS PROPELLER/S NUMBER OF PEOPLE 2 BRAND / SERIES XTO Offshore AIR / WATER TEMP 85 / 85 °F DIAMETER/PITCH 16 5/8 x 19 ELEVATION (IN FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL) Sea Level YAMAHA PART # 6GR-45974-00-00 WIND VELOCITY SSE @ 5mph PROPELLER MATERIAL POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL BRAND / SERIES  (Center) DIAMETER/PITCH  (Center) YAMAHA PART # (Center)

RPM   SPD    GPH   MPG

3000   18.3    9.3    1.97

3500   24.8   11.7   2.12

4000   31.5   15.4   2.05

6000   50.0   36.9   1.36

21 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

I think it's fascinating to hear someone with twin engines and drives yearn for a single, even outboards and I probably speak for a lot of us 'singles' owners out there with relatively large boats.  BUT, I can certainly understand in your particular situation, the repairs -- as well as the maintenance I guess -- have been a bear to deal with.  But you've always prevailed, albeit at some cost, time and a lot of aggravation. 

But I bet you if you polled a percentage of boaters who've had the experience of both, it would be overwhelmingly leaning towards twins.  Of course this would be for boats with LOAs of 27 ft and up.  Maybe even many with boats as big/small as 25ft LOA.

For me, it's not so much the additional performance or even maintenance although the latter is certainly a consideration as well as fuel, but the maneuverability around close quarters, docks and slips is 1000x better with twins.  Even lining up on a trailer is better and easier.

There is also the ever so importance of having the ability to get back to base should one of the engines go into limp mode or even conk out.  I think that is such huge factor.

Granted my (almost 29ft) has a single with a decent big engine, but if I had the option, I would never get a single with that size boat and the only reason it seemed fine at the time was because we were newbies and just figured as part of the entire learning process, a single engine and drive made more sense.  But now, as a "somewhat" experienced newbie LOL, I could never go back to a single especially with a boat this size AND after driving a 35ft SeaRay with not only twins, but a joystick.  UNLESS, it has a bow thruster which is why I am seriously considering adding one.

I'd be very curious if you chose to go to a single outboard boat.  If you do, a bow thruster would be a must.