MikeG

Replace water heater in 2013 31 Signature

Has anyone replaced the water heater in a 2013 31 Signature? It appears, at the very least, the floor and the right exhaust manifold/riser combination on the starboard engine has to removed to gain access for replacement. Will that provide enough clearance or does the starboard engine have to be removed?

There has to be another way....  I have a 2011 Sig 290 and it was a fairly easy. A 2hr job, but more of a PIA.

4 hours ago, MikeG said:

Has anyone replaced the water heater in a 2013 31 Signature? It appears, at the very least, the floor and the right exhaust manifold/riser combination on the starboard engine has to removed to gain access for replacement. Will that provide enough clearance or does the starboard engine have to be removed?

Wait till @jeffk chimes in since he has the same exact model and year and he should get the tag.  He'll know better than anyone else.

My water heater is on the port side of the engine compartment towards the bow.

I have pretty good access.

Curious what engine set up do you have?

7 hours ago, jeffk said:

Same here, mine is in the same place.  I had to take out the cooler, for the sake of a better term "tub/holder". Not knowing the 31, you might have a fridge there. I then lifted it straight up to the cockpit floor and than out. 

I have twin 5.0 MPI Mercruisers and the heater is in the engine compartment under the floor stuffed back on the starboard side

On 10/21/2019 at 10:09 PM, jeffk said:

Interesting that it seems like they changed sides on the same exact year and model.   Perhaps yours having VPs and his are Mercs necessitated that alteration?

On the link I added earlier, the only differences it shows is a 110V and a 220V water heater.

, nothing about the engine brand.

15 F600 110V HOT WATER HEATER1EA

15a F650 6GL 220V HOT WATER HEATER (CE Pkg)1EA

Just a wild guess since that's the only difference between the two exact boats.  It would be nice to see additional examples of the same year and boat with the different engines.  

Unless they flip a coin at the factory.  :D

Just a thought, again I really don't know the 31. BUT if its too hard to take out.............. Can you by-pass the old heater and install a new one some where else?

Good thought but maybe more trouble than it's worth since the current wiring would have to be lengthened and the hoses/pipes would have to redone to accomidate the move as well.  He's removing it anyways so I'd cut the thing in half (pieces or chunks..whatever) with a hand held cut off wheel.  But you'd still have an issue getting the new one in.   If the engine compartment hatch is totally removed will there still not be enough clearance?  If not, if that manifold/Elbow/Riser is removed there should be enough room.  He'll just have to remember to order new gaskets for putting those exhaust parts back in.

1 hour ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Good thought but maybe more trouble than it's worth since the current wiring would have to be lengthened and the hoses/pipes would have to redone to accomidate the move as well.  He's removing it anyways so I'd cut the thing in half (pieces or chunks..whatever) with a hand held cut off wheel.  But you'd still have an issue getting the new one in.   If the engine compartment hatch is totally removed will there still not be enough clearance?  If not, if that manifold/Elbow/Riser is removed there should be enough room.  He'll just have to remember to order new gaskets for putting those exhaust parts back in.

That I get. But depending on where, the hot and cold can be taped anywhere or just add more pex. That seams a lot easier than removing a riser. Plus, in time if another one is needed it will be a lot easier to do.