Sign in to follow this  
gweedo

winterize AC

I have an 08 290, need to winterize the ac, any suggestions on how to do it.  I'm thinking pump antifreeze from the outlet backwards until it comes out the pick.  I apologize, but I haven't even looked to see where the pick is. I finished the motors, generator and water heater and forgot about the AC,  am I on the right track or is there an easy way to perform this task.  Thnx

Just the other way around. Take the hose off the sea-cock and and turn the AC unit on so the pump turns on. Than from let the pump pull the AF though the system.

Over the years I have tried both methods but found the outlet to scupper gravity method the easiest. No need to undo any hoses, no need for any gizmos to mount on a sea strainer that never worked well anyway.

Just one 5 feet hose, stuck and sealed into the a/c outlet on one end, and a funnel stuck into it on the other raised end. Extend the hose 4 feet or so above the outlet and let gravity do its job. The AF will flow down and outside through the A/C scupper under the hull and it takes half a gallon or less to flush the system.

Just make sure you know which one is A/F thruhull outlet. It is often the smallest diameter one.

Thank you for the suggestions, I watched some u tubes on this as well, filling from the exhaust backwards seems to be the most often used technique.  Thanks again!

use the strainer - close the valve to the seacock and open 2 gallons of antifreeze.  turn on the a/c and simply pour the antifreeze into the strainer, the ac will pull it through - I usually put the first gallon through and use the 2nd gallon to keep the lines full.  when done, i open the sea valve back up.