chris D

Penta DP Frozen Prop

With age the 5' or 10' Piece of thin wall EMT tubing has worked best. It allows a slow steady, feel if the threads are galled up & hopeless. You can see & feel if the bolt / stud is twisting.

There is a fact that most people are not aware of.........Almost every prop material comes in cheaper / softer grades .  The same is true for the splined shafts..

If the 2 parts are hard enough.  There will never be a problem .  For 50 years no engines had props being jammed on the shaft. 

Do all of us treat our car & truck engine splined shafts with the same amount Of fear lubrication of the splines ?   NO way.

I'm with Slowhand.  I have never found a situation where Kroil won't free up the parts.  Spray it and let it penetrate.  Repeat as needed

So I purchased the Volvo Prop Puller for 195 deer. greased the threads and slid it on.

Prop came off  easily.  Seems like the old grease  was preventing it from moving. Even with 1 inch left on the shaft, there was no way  I could do it without the puller.  The  old grease was being pulled  as well, adding to the resistance.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions!

If you are in need of the puller  in South Jersey, I have one!

20191102_124907.jpg

Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute,  I forget who it was exactly lmfao who said the puller would DEFINITELY BREAK? :D. I can't seem to remember who it was exactly loooool but I'm positive someone said because it happened TWICE to his mechanic that it would happen FOR SURE in this case instead he's gonna need to cut it out and get new hubs.  Trying to remember who it was but I can't ATM.  :haha-7383:

Jeffrey, I  think you need a new mechanic.  :D just busting them on you.

Nice job, Chris.  Now clean them really well with acetone, hubs and shaft splines and use the right Volvo grease when you reinstall them.  Don't forget to time the props, too.

Did you have to modify the teeth on the tool or did it fit and turn first time?

I enlarged that picture 500 % .  Good grief . What are those curved wire loops welded to the shaft ?  Small loop at the bottom.  Was the shaft used in a welding class ? I  would be up & down someones back if my shaft looked like that.

Unless the boat was bought not new. 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:16 AM, Slowhand said:

Try using Kroil Penetrating oil. Let it set for 2 hours, breaks bonds due to rust, corrosion, contamination, or compression and lubricates to loosen frozen metal parts.

Mystery  oil too

Oh well  

If you do ever NEED to borrow a puller.  Remember this truth about all of them////////////////////  Only buy or use a ………..3 legged ………...puller !!!

3 legs ALWAYS put equal pressure on each leg  !!  chair,  table or a gear puller...………….  2 or 4 or more legs. WILL put uneven pressure on the legs 

3 legs.  NO threaded legs !!!!! That destroys the balancing of 3 legs. Been there many times...…… Only cast NON ADJUSTABLE high strength steel legs will always pull EVENLY.

Piece of cake using a 3 legged puller/  :wub:

Hatem

There are you are good at.

Reading......not so much! Not getting your props off by hand, is not frozen 

I rarely get mine off without using a puller,does not mean they are frozen.

I think you are spending too much time on this forum!

Just busting em!

195 for the puller,that sounds like a good price.

14 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I enlarged that picture 500 % .  Good grief . What are those curved wire loops welded to the shaft ?  Small loop at the bottom.  Was the shaft used in a welding class ? I  would be up & down someones back if my shaft looked like that.

Unless the boat was bought not new. 

You may want to rephrase that part about your shaft.

Please don't post a picture!

5 hours ago, jeffk said:

You may want to rephrase that part about your shaft.

Please don't post a picture!

Mushroom growing in my backyard.  Is that ridiculous or what LOL!

76BiFwh.jpg

I know some people are gonna get rumbled and flipped out but that's ok, it's just humor and all in fun.

7 hours ago, jeffk said:

Hatem

Ok, help me understand because it sounds like a few of us (at least myself and the OP Chris) are confusing the term "frozen"?  And that what actually happened to my forward prop and both Chris' props is that they're just badly stuck and not actually "frozen"?  So frozen is the next step up where the corrosion (or whatever is happening) is so bad that parts become infused together hence why you were saying the puller would break?

So the correct terminology for what happened here is simply "stuck"?

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Mushroom growing in my backyard.  Is that ridiculous or what LOL!

76BiFwh.jpg

I know some people are gonna get rumbled and flipped out but that's ok, it's just humor and all in fun.

I think its trying to tell you something.................

It is rare for the front props to get stuck.

Personally I have never seen it.

His prop was stuck, sometimes they are just hard to get off.

It's good you got the tool 

It will make your life easier.

10 hours ago, jeffk said:

Hatem

I think you are spending too much time on this forum!

Just busting em!

195 for the puller,that sounds like a good price.

Yep!

When its not coming off with a hammer and a 2x10 and you dont know what was done before, it was a newbie assumption.  ISplines cleaned up nicely with acetone and covered with grease for the winter.  Will polish the props and clean out the gunk over the winter.  Make use of my buffing wheel.

Thanks again!

Chris, you did great.

I use a puller almost evry time, they are tough to get off sometimes.

5 hours ago, Iggy said:

I think its trying to tell you something.................

Probably the most dumbasss post ever. Ooof. 

3 hours ago, jeffk said:

It is rare for the front props to get stuck.

Personally I have never seen it.

His prop was stuck, sometimes they are just hard to get off.

Ok well you still haven't explained what frozen is.   

When I hear someone like the OP say my props are frozen and shows pics of them, I dont assume they're welded to the shaft! :D

1 hour ago, chris D said:

When its not coming off with a hammer and a 2x10 and you dont know what was done before, it was a newbie assumption.  ISplines cleaned up nicely with acetone and covered with grease for the winter.  Will polish the props and clean out the gunk over the winter.  Make use of my buffing wheel.

Thanks again!

I think I paid over a deuce for mine back in 2015.  So you got it for a good price at $196.  Put it on Ebay for $200 lol...if you didnt modify it like I had to on mine.

I can't remember if my first prop was stuck or not and I needed the tool for both, or if it was just the rear bigger prop.  Either way, stuck, frozen who gives a @#$%@# same thing in my book good you got them both off.

Still never mentioned if the tool fit and locked right away without having to trim off any of the teeth?

1 minute ago, cyclops2 said:

HA  HA  HA    :D

Finally someone with a sense of #$%$&$% humor!

Frozen, take your hand and get it wet.

Now put it on the side of your freezer.

Wait a few seconds, and see if you can remove it.

Its stuck, now you know what stuck is and it will reduce many of your posts...how's that for funny!?