Stretch79

water getting through snap covers by tower

Our 2008 Sunesta 284 has the snap on bow and cockpit covers, they work great except where the cover meets the tower, so basically all the water that hits the cover runs right into the boat which floods the kitchenette on the starboard side and the "dry" storage under the seats on the port side.  Has anyone come up with an easy solution for this? 

Are the covers the correct ones ?  The description sounds like bad replacements were installed at sometime.

I have had my 256 since 2008.  Never could come up with a solution.  I added a couple extra snaps but it isn't a tight fit around the arch so it's not sealed.  I just deal with it

I think @watson524 came up with a genius solution for that and might've posted a thread or included it in another.  Either way she should get this tag and let us know again what she did which I think she had "leg warmers" custom made and IIRC, it did solve the huge water problem she was having with her tower arch canvas leaking at the same spots.

Thanks @MonkeySeaII and @Hatem for the info.  I found @watson524 solution and pictures, unfortunately my tower is the solid version so can't really make a leg warmer like they did.  But, I'm gonna snap some pics and stop by my local upholstery shop and see if they can think of something based off that idea.  I'm almost thinking if there was enough extra material on that loose flap portion of my cover to wrap tightly around my tower it would cut the amount of water getting in by a huge %.

@cyclops2 I just recently but the bought so I can only assume these are the correct factory covers as they fit perfectly everywhere except around the arch.  It's just a poor design from Chaparral imo.

I think the only way to keep water from getting around my arch would be to make a sock like cover for the entire arch that comes down over and snaps to the cockpit cover.  Anything snapped to the vertical part of the arch will still leak.  I also have a full mooring cover that has elastic and velcro to go around the arch.  Still doesn't seal it well.

2 hours ago, Stretch79 said:

Thanks @MonkeySeaII and @Hatem for the info.  I found @watson524 solution and pictures, unfortunately my tower is the solid version so can't really make a leg warmer like they did.  But, I'm gonna snap some pics and stop by my local upholstery shop and see if they can think of something based off that idea.  I'm almost thinking if there was enough extra material on that loose flap portion of my cover to wrap tightly around my tower it would cut the amount of water getting in by a huge %.

@cyclops2 I just recently but the bought so I can only assume these are the correct factory covers as they fit perfectly everywhere except around the arch.  It's just a poor design from Chaparral imo.

Yeah man you're welcome and glad you found it wow I'm impressed.

That's probably why I keep my bimini up till the last second because that roof is the only way to keep water from coming through the 2 snaps on the inside of the radar arch that hold the cockpit cover.  It is a poor design I agree but I'm glad that maybe Watson's idea could lead to your own thing.  Then patent the @#$%@# out of it and go make millions! :D

If you just need a strip / or a long band of Sunbrella attached  to the short edging ?  Any decent canvas shop could do it in less than a hour.  Including finding & ordering a small same colored piece. My local marine fabric guy does stuff like that all the time.

Oddly, I didn't get notice of the tag and just happened to read this post but it looks like you found what I had done. With your solid tower (I'm jealous, I like the look of the solid better), you can still get something done up like I had. the top part of it, instead of being a flap is still the soft rubber "edge" like I have but they can put a bungee pull cord into a hem line right there at the end of it that'll keep it up and snug. A friend of mine had that on his Malibu and it worked well.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:37 PM, watson524 said:

Oddly, I didn't get notice of the tag and just happened to read this post but it looks like you found what I had done.

@watson524 did you get this one?

On 11/6/2019 at 12:37 PM, watson524 said:

the top part of it, instead of being a flap is still the soft rubber "edge" like I have but they can put a bungee pull cord into a hem line right there at the end of it that'll keep it up and snug. A friend of mine had that on his Malibu and it worked well.

Basically a durable elastic, right?  Then the bottom just needs to overlap the canvas and the arch joint, I think.

I used to get a lot of water through the portside of the arch but then it kinda stopped on it's own.  I think when I jacked up the center support just a little bit more to give the canvas more pitch, that might've done it.  My custom-made pole for the rear of the canvass works great, btw.  The only problem, though, is that I think from water collecting at that spot over the sun pad for so many years, that section of canvas has lost its waterproofing.  I think the water gets through the canvas so I still have to cover the sun pad with 4mm plastic under the canvas.  Does that stuff need some kind of waterproofing spray on it that needs to be done occasionally?

Not the tag, but I had subscribed to the thread so that's how I got notice.

I personally would either permanently attach to the base canvas like ours is or if you want to be able to take on and off, you could have wide velcro on the base canvas AND the wrap and bring the two pieces together. For the "bungee", it's just a cord that goes in a hem that you pull and can lock in place with one of those push button lock things like elastic laces for your shoes.

Glad to hear the pole is working out for you! On the canvas letting water through, do you have Sumbrella? I swear by 303 fabric treatment. On our old boat, our full mooring cover was over 20 years old and looked new. A wash in the jumbo machines once a year and 303 treatment twice a year. Water beaded right up. I didn't do the new one yet because the factory treatment is still working but likely will next season depending on how it "feels". We only had the boat in for a month this past season due to health issues so it wasn't out in the elements much.

Throw the 303 in a small pump garden sprayer. multiple light coats are preferred. 

I washed , dried & sprayed my covers on a old wooden dock in full sunlight on a hot summer day. I get 2 to 3 years easily.  It takes a total of about 2 hours. I wash & dry before lunch. Then spray after lunch.

16 hours ago, watson524 said:

Not the tag, but I had subscribed to the thread so that's how I got notice.

I personally would either permanently attach to the base canvas like ours is or if you want to be able to take on and off, you could have wide velcro on the base canvas AND the wrap and bring the two pieces together. For the "bungee", it's just a cord that goes in a hem that you pull and can lock in place with one of those push button lock things like elastic laces for your shoes.

Glad to hear the pole is working out for you! On the canvas letting water through, do you have Sumbrella? I swear by 303 fabric treatment. On our old boat, our full mooring cover was over 20 years old and looked new. A wash in the jumbo machines once a year and 303 treatment twice a year. Water beaded right up. I didn't do the new one yet because the factory treatment is still working but likely will next season depending on how it "feels". We only had the boat in for a month this past season due to health issues so it wasn't out in the elements much.

Throw the 303 in a small pump garden sprayer. multiple light coats are preferred. 

Lol, doubt the tag would show up on a post where I'm quoting you!  I think the latter takes precedence. 

My covers are the ones that came with the boat,  so I guess they are Sumbrella.   I knew they needed to be coated with something and it sounds like the 303 is the right stuff.  I'll get it washed well and then coat it with that stuff, follow your suggested procedure.  I figured it needed some kind of treatment which frankly I haven't dont to it in 5 years.  Its definitely time.

I scrubbed my covers last winter and re-coated with several coats of 303.  Worked well.  For 12 years old, my covers are still in good shape.

Remember to wash with detergent...……….Then    RINSE   VERY WELL.   Move the covers to a NEW DRY PLACE to completely dry. I flip the cover in the drying place to   BONE DRY both sides.

1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I scrubbed my covers last winter and re-coated with several coats of 303.  Worked well.  For 12 years old, my covers are still in good shape.

Gotta get that big cover on tomorrow.  Hopefully it works out well.

Chap does not make your canvas.

They are made and designed  by Ameritex.

There are a few areas in my canvas that I have taken pipe insulation, the foam that has a splice in the middle, and cut it to put in place.

It has worked well.