Stuart Adair

Progress update....

Hi,

Progress is being made. I've got another full day sanding and filling and then I'll be ready for paint, as long as I can get a suitable days weather.  Outdrive and bellhousing has been cleaned and repainted (Will change the oil and waterpump when its back on the boat).  Swim platform is being remade. Prop has been cleaned, polished and sharpened and I've got a big box of fancy new bits to go on.

Let me know what you think of the bottom picture. I might need a new set of anodes ;);)

20191110_115507

20191110_115453

20191110_161704

20191110_115447

Are you sure the structure is sound and not rotted? Might want to investigate before going further (been there, done that).

Hi. The structure is good and solid for sure, and it has a new bulge pump 3 months ago. I was getting a couple of inches of water in the bilge but that turned out to be coming from a holed bellows. 

You bring back a lot of memories.

When I did mine I spent ten 40hr week-ends over the winter of 92 and 93.

Yeah, a good 400hrs.

Loved every minute of it, except removing all of the bottom paint, that someone did not prep right when it was done.

Denny.

Folks whats your advice on painting the hull. Do I need to use primer or not?  The internet seems to be split and I'd like to know what you think. I'll be using a barge paint as my top coat.

Stu

16 hours ago, Denny said:

You bring back a lot of memories.

When I did mine I spent ten 40hr week-ends over the winter of 92 and 93.

Yeah, a good 400hrs.

Loved every minute of it, except removing all of the bottom paint, that someone did not prep right when it was done.

Denny.

That's why looking at the pics of your Alpha it looks like it's newer than a brand new BRAVOOOOOOO 3!  :)  That's quite the effort and coming from a body shop guy, it's obvious because it looks amazing.

32 minutes ago, Stuart Adair said:

Folks whats your advice on painting the hull. Do I need to use primer or not?  The internet seems to be split and I'd like to know what you think. I'll be using a barge paint as my top coat.

Stu

Paint?  Why paint?  I'm almost 100% certain that is gelcoat on your boat, no?  How about trying an aggressive buffing?  I bet you can make that thing shine like new using a certain couple of steps, starting with a light wet sanding with 600 grit sandpaper and soap, then an aggressive compound followed by a lesser one and then a polishing compound.  It'll look brand new.

I wouldn't paint over the gelcoat unless that barge paint is ok to use over gelcoat.  Otherwise you need to sand it down VERY well and prime it.  But paint is better than gelcoat but I think you can make that look brand new with the right steps and a lot of elbow grease and patience.