Stuart Adair

Progress update....

Already blown one disk sander up and I'm onto number two :D   Hatam you're right about the weather, only difference between summer and winter is that the rain is warmer in the summer.

I tried to polish a section of the hull before we decided to go with paint and whilst I could get some sort of shine there were 30 years of scratches and dings in the fibreglass that needed filling and dressing so we decided to go with barge paint. I've spoken to the paint manufacturer who has recommended 1K white primer followed by 2 coats of barge paint thinned by 10% using rolling and tipping.  We've no plans to ever sell the boat and we just want to tidy her up a bit and refresh the colour, and then get her back in the water for spring time so the gin can start flowing.

Also thought you might enjoy this pic I took from the bridge over the marina this weekend. The river level is currently up by 5ft with localised flooding, and you can see the person who never kept an eye on their boat as the levels dropped from an 8ft high earlier in the week.

20191102_10362220191102_103638

5 hours ago, Denny said:

I used a DA sander, and sanded the gelcoat as far as needed to remove  the pin holes.

Most of you body shop guys use air dual action sanders it seems, must work pretty well.  I think I used one many years ago sanding down an old car. 

52 minutes ago, Stuart Adair said:

Hatam you're right about the weather, only difference between summer and winter is that the rain is warmer in the summer.

I think you can count the sunny days on one hand, right? :D 

55 minutes ago, Stuart Adair said:

I've spoken to the paint manufacturer who has recommended 1K white primer followed by 2 coats of barge paint thinned by 10% using rolling and tipping. 

Is this the stuff you're using?

http://www.bcpaints.com/catagories-2/boat-barge-marine-paints/

9 hours ago, Denny said:

For being in the water all season after season she looks pretty good, it's a lot of work to keep her looking that good under those conditions, your diligence is paying off.

I think she looks great, and something to be proud of.

I get on a lot of boats through out the summer that set in the water all season, and the ones that do not get the care that you give yours, sure shows their age, and can't hold a candle to yours.

Denny. 

Well I appreciate your compliment and I really do try to keep it up. But truth be told, the picture is several years old and the year the picture was taken was the year that it wasn't in the water all season. But the next two seasons it has been in the water all season and it no longer looks as sharp as the picture.

One big change came early this past season. I used a different 3M compound [Don't recall what it was]. It made a total mess of the gelcoat. It set me back a couple of years. I was so angry that I tossed it into the garbage. I just threw the wax on and put it in the water and let nature take its course. It still looks better than it originally did but not as good as the picture. I don't think I have the energy to bring the gelcoat back to that level anymore.

As long as the engine keeps running and the drive stays attached, I'll keep going.

The old days of " Barge Paint " .  It meant a BRUTALLY TOUGH and long lasting paint It was loaded with marine growth killers. Anything increasing hull drag. Meant loss of profits. The stuff killed plant & animal.

Compared to the toxic poison Chernoybal & Fukishima  continue to release for centuries ?  Paint is harmless.

Oh well

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

The old days of " Barge Paint " .  It meant a BRUTALLY TOUGH and long lasting paint It was loaded with marine growth killers. Anything increasing hull drag. Meant loss of profits. The stuff killed plant & animal.

Compared to the toxic poison Chernoybal & Fukishima  continue to release for centuries ?  Paint is harmless.

Oh well

And thanks to the apparent moderation going on that deleted the unnecessary and totally uncalled for attack out of nowhere, including my response and your cheering response.  So it's a good thing to see that there seems to be someone looking out and keeping the unnecessary postings out of the way.  So I hope it's ok to thank whomever he or she was who did that.  There is nothing wrong with discussing issues and especially harmless shop talk on a thread that has a lot of potential for many to learn from.

I want one of those river barges...  How long are they typically and are they well appointed inside? 

3 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I want one of those river barges...  How long are they typically and are they well appointed inside? 

They are AWESOME!

On second thought. I'll pass. Need more open area and light inside.  My 46' sloop had more area and it was 20' shorter... 

40 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

On second thought. I'll pass. Need more open area and light inside.  My 46' sloop had more area and it was 20' shorter... 

I would venture that the Bahamas have more light than London...so it is hard to judge.

Stuart

Do some areas permit sewage water & electric all year ?   Taxes or rent rates ?

It looks like a neat time warp to the past.  :)

11 hours ago, SST said:

Well I appreciate your compliment and I really do try to keep it up. But truth be told, the picture is several years old and the year the picture was taken was the year that it wasn't in the water all season. But the next two seasons it has been in the water all season and it no longer looks as sharp as the picture.

One big change came early this past season. I used a different 3M compound [Don't recall what it was]. It made a total mess of the gelcoat. It set me back a couple of years. I was so angry that I tossed it into the garbage. I just threw the wax on and put it in the water and let nature take its course. It still looks better than it originally did but not as good as the picture. I don't think I have the energy to bring the gelcoat back to that level anymore.

As long as the engine keeps running and the drive stays attached, I'll keep going.

I know what you mean on all points, my girl still looks good from a distance, but up close she is showing her age a little.

She has her bangs and bruises, a little touch up paint here and there at the end of the season.

Teak needs to be redone, I too am getting tired, it is a lot of work to do it right, but I'm not sure if I am up to it.

So maybe I will lust keep up maintenance,

put on a couple more trinkets and keep her looking good from 20ft away and going down the water. 

Denny.

First year I paid for a good polisher. He is doing very well with our group. He invested in a 10 gauge power cord to do a bunch of boats side by side. 

Life is good.  :D

Hi folks,

So I hit my first proper snag this weekend. I put a new gimbal bearing in and I am unable to get the alignment tool inserted into the splines. I looks like its hitting on the bottom left corner of the coupler. I checked the engine mounts and one side was slightly higher than the other so I’ve ordered a 1 1/8 spanner to get them at least level when I have another bash this coming weekend.

My question relates to how I installed the gimbal. Using the correct insertion tool I aligned the grease hole and tapped the bearing into place until it bottomed out. The insertion tool already had a hole drilled in it from the person I bought it off so I just reused that.  My two thoughts are:

a)      Should I insert the alignment tool into the gimbal bearing and force the centre to the bottom left, thus aligning the centre with the coupler?

b)      Should I remove the gimbal bearing, insert the alignment tool end just into the coupler, measure a new position for the insertion tool and affix it so the end of the alignment tool goes into the coupler before the gimbal actually goes into its housing?

Hope I’m explaining myself clearly (Which will be a first)

Thanks

Stu

24 minutes ago, Stuart Adair said:

Hi folks,

So I hit my first proper snag this weekend. I put a new gimbal bearing in and I am unable to get the alignment tool inserted into the splines. I looks like its hitting on the bottom left corner of the coupler. I checked the engine mounts and one side was slightly higher than the other so I’ve ordered a 1 1/8 spanner to get them at least level when I have another bash this coming weekend.

My question relates to how I installed the gimbal. Using the correct insertion tool I aligned the grease hole and tapped the bearing into place until it bottomed out. The insertion tool already had a hole drilled in it from the person I bought it off so I just reused that.  My two thoughts are:

a)      Should I insert the alignment tool into the gimbal bearing and force the centre to the bottom left, thus aligning the centre with the coupler?

b)      Should I remove the gimbal bearing, insert the alignment tool end just into the coupler, measure a new position for the insertion tool and affix it so the end of the alignment tool goes into the coupler before the gimbal actually goes into its housing?

Hope I’m explaining myself clearly (Which will be a first)

Thanks

Stu

The gimble is a wall flange style bearing which floats tightly in it's mounting and it sounds like you just need to re-orientate the rotational element to where the tool will initially enter the coupling. Push the tool in until it just contacts the coupler, then pull up, down, right, or left on the outboard end of the tool until it will enter the coupler. Once nested fully in, then tap it with a soft blow hammer up, down, and side to side, then begin the alignment process. Remember to suspend the engine from a front, centered lift point and float it up and down with a chain fall or similar device until alignment is close to perfect, then rotate the engine in 90 degree increments until alignment shows good all the way around a 360 degree rotation. Takes time to do it right but it's worth it.   W

On 12/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, Wingnut said:

The gimble is a wall flange style bearing which floats tightly in it's mounting and it sounds like you just need to re-orientate the rotational element to where the tool will initially enter the coupling. Push the tool in until it just contacts the coupler, then pull up, down, right, or left on the outboard end of the tool until it will enter the coupler. Once nested fully in, then tap it with a soft blow hammer up, down, and side to side, then begin the alignment process. Remember to suspend the engine from a front, centered lift point and float it up and down with a chain fall or similar device until alignment is close to perfect, then rotate the engine in 90 degree increments until alignment shows good all the way around a 360 degree rotation. Takes time to do it right but it's worth it.   W

An update from this weekends fun. Firstly I levelled the engine by putting the locknuts on flush with the top of the threads then putting a white mark on one flat with tippex as a reference point. I wound the bottom nuts up so they brought the mountings up tight to the top nuts  so at that point the engine was level. Once I'd done that as Wingnut advised I was able to get the alignment tool in with a bit of fettling but it was tight. I ended up lowering the engine down about 4½ turns which gave me an even grease pattern and I was able to rotate the alignment took with two fingers so I think we're all good.

I then moved onto the bell housing and fitted the new water pipe, bellows, lower shift cable and I've just got the exhaust bellows to fit but as it was getting cold and dark I called it a day. I've seen all the video's about using an 'L' shape puller and cable-ties as a puller so that'll be next weekends job. Hopefully then the Lord blesses me with some decent weather so I can start painting.

In other news I had a delivery of some nice new decals :rolleyes: I had them made by Chris Burkett (c.burkett@burkettquicksign.co.uk) and they look amazing. I know that Chris makes signs to order so if you need anything he comes highly recommended.

Stckers

On 11/15/2019 at 1:42 AM, cyclops2 said:

Stuart

Do some areas permit sewage water & electric all year ?   Taxes or rent rates ?

It looks like a neat time warp to the past.  :)

Hi Cyclops. The widebeams are around 12ft x 60ft and typically cost £100K-£200K. The residential ground rent will be around £7K per year on the Avon but this varies widely,  further North it's cheaper and considerably more expensive as you go near London. I think there's about a dozen families are permanent residents at the marina. Only thing is that they usually have a small marine diesel 1500cc or similar and a top speed of about 6mph so it would be a  bit difficult to get on the plane :rolleyes:

On 11/14/2019 at 6:13 PM, Phillbo said:

They ste better fitted out than my house inside :D

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, Stuart Adair said:

I ended up lowering the engine down about 4½ turns which gave me an even grease pattern and I was able to rotate the alignment took with two fingers so I think we're all good.

That's what you want to see and be able to do.  Nice job.

I then moved onto the bell housing and fitted the new water pipe, bellows, lower shift cable and I've just got the exhaust bellows to fit but as it was getting cold and dark I called it a day. I've seen all the video's about using an 'L' shape puller and cable-ties as a puller so that'll be next weekends job. Hopefully then the Lord blesses me with some decent weather so I can start painting.

Yeah, good luck with that!  The weather, that is.  :D Hopefully the Good Lord will make it nice and sunny and warm for ya.  If not, can you make yourself a tent out of a tarp and work underneath it?  I've done that many times working on the boat and hundreds of times in the many years in the business.  But you're making excellent progress anyway, despite the weather.  You seem pretty handy, what do you do for a living (if you don't mind me asking?) 

In other news I had a delivery of some nice new decals :rolleyes: I had them made by Chris Burkett (c.burkett@burkettquicksign.co.uk) and they look amazing. I know that Chris makes signs to order so if you need anything he comes highly recommended.

Stckers

Those are perfect for that boat.  Is that pretty much what the original ones were, or was it a different type of insignia?

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, Denny said:

I know what you mean on all points, my girl still looks good from a distance, but up close she is showing her age a little.

She has her bangs and bruises, a little touch up paint here and there at the end of the season.

Teak needs to be redone, I too am getting tired, it is a lot of work to do it right, but I'm not sure if I am up to it.

So maybe I will lust keep up maintenance,

put on a couple more trinkets and keep her looking good from 20ft away and going down the water. 

Denny.

Outstanding.  That thing looks amazing even up close, at least from the pics I've seen.  All boats that are used and used the way they're supposed to be used will have their own little dings and bruises no matter how careful you are.  It's just the way it is.  Most of it for me happens when I'm getting in and out of that tight $^& slip we're in!  Always enjoy seeing that video despite how short it is.  Your next thing is a drone, Denny.  But you might need one of the kids or grand kids with you and take some great footage of you cruising around.  Unless you get her up, put it on "follow me" and go for 20 minutes or so and then bring her in.  It can be done and I bet you would enjoy that.

12 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yeah, good luck with that!  The weather, that is.  :D Hopefully the Good Lord will make it nice and sunny and warm for ya.  If not, can you make yourself a tent out of a tarp and work underneath it?  I've done that many times working on the boat and hundreds of times in the many years in the business.  But you're making excellent progress anyway, despite the weather.  You seem pretty handy, what do you do for a living (if you don't mind me asking?) 

Those are perfect for that boat.  Is that pretty much what the original ones were, or was it a different type of insignia?

Outstanding.  That thing looks amazing even up close, at least from the pics I've seen.  All boats that are used and used the way they're supposed to be used will have their own little dings and bruises no matter how careful you are.  It's just the way it is.  Most of it for me happens when I'm getting in and out of that tight $^& slip we're in!  Always enjoy seeing that video despite how short it is.  Your next thing is a drone, Denny.  But you might need one of the kids or grand kids with you and take some great footage of you cruising around.  Unless you get her up, put it on "follow me" and go for 20 minutes or so and then bring her in.  It can be done and I bet you would enjoy that.

Yeah, I have thought about it, but it has taken 26 years to get the short footage the I have of her.

Plus I definitely need someone else to shoot the footage, If I had one, it would end up in the drink for sure. LOL.  Denny.

15 hours ago, Denny said:

Yeah, I have thought about it, but it has taken 26 years to get the short footage the I have of her.

Plus I definitely need someone else to shoot the footage, If I had one, it would end up in the drink for sure. LOL.  Denny.

I think there are some cheapo ones you can start out with.  There's so many out there now that the recreational drone industry has really taken off in the last couple of years.  Little, foldable, pocket-sized drones looool to the really advanced ones with 8-leg prop extensions and the latest and greatest HDx10 billion resolution cameras etc.  But it is fun once you get into it and seeing a completely different perspective than what you've been looking at from the helm for 26 years, I bet you'd get a huge kick out of that.  although the short video is pretty cool but I'll tell you, once we were able to see our boat in action from above, it was like a whole new revelation!  :) Maybe when we come up and hang out for a couple of days we can get Justin to do it and get some great footage.  I just wish we had more than 5-6 months of boating time without half of that hampered  by inevitable, crappy summertime weather! :angry2:  Then you gotta listen to all the Florida guys and their wise $^& comments like "what does winterize mean?" lol.  Jerks. :D 

On 12/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, Hatem said:

Hi Hatam,

I had the decals made to match the ones that were on the boat, right down to the exact same RAL numbers after I used a scanner to get the colours. I'm a Construction Project Manager in my normal life but I've been taking cars and motorbikes to pieces since I was a teenager, so boats are a natural progression. Some of the things I've taken apart I was even able to put back together aswell :rolleyes:

I'm hoping Father Christmas brings me some nice "Chaparral" decals for the lower part of the boat too. 

41 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

I usually have parts left over when i take something apart and put it back together :) 

Chances are that you didn't need them to begin with, been there, done that.  Denny.