Latin User

V6-200-SX Rough Idling and Stall

Hello All!

My Chaparral H2019 Sport with a Volvo Penta V6-200-SX rough idles and stalls.  Out of the water she gets up to 5000 RPM, but in the water she goes up onlyto 2000 RPM and when in idle she stalls and turns off.

The Alarm beeps every minute or so.

The boat has only 29 hours of operation but has been stored for long periods of time. 

I drained all the fuel in the tank, changed the fuel filter two times, and checked the spark plugs.  

What would be the next step?

I would Appreciate any help.

Edited by Latin User
miss spelling

Afternoon.

Fuel, fuel filter and spark plugs don't have anything to do with the problem.

In general, there are 3 conditions that cause an alarm on most Volvo Penta's.  Low oil pressure (constant tone), engine coolant overheat (beep), exhaust overheat (beep).  Certain Volvo Penta outdrives (OceanX) alarm if low lube level (beep) or water in bellows (beep).  Not to make the mystery deeper, but if equipped with EVC, there is a completely different alarm regimen.  Given your description, it seems your motor is entering protect mode.  If this is what's happening, RPM's are limited to protect the motor. 

Please post the full engine model number so better and more accurate help can be provided.  The model number is V6-200-__-__ and is printed on the sticker located on the front center of the black plastic engine cowling.  This sticker includes the model, serial number and product number.  For knowledge building, V6-200-SX isn't the model number and generically refers to a V6 with an SX outdrive.  Unfortunately, this doesn't allow your motor to be identified precisely.

Please also post the information from the sticker labeled drive unit.  This is included with the Volvo Penta manuals that are part of the boat's documentation package.  It's all in the blue Chaparral bag (p.s. there is an engine sticker on the same sheet as well).

Stalling at idle might be related to what's causing the alarm, or it might not be.

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Afternoon.

Fuel, fuel filter and spark plugs don't have anything to do with the problem.

In general, there are 3 conditions that cause an alarm on most Volvo Penta's.  Low oil pressure (constant tone), engine coolant overheat (beep), exhaust overheat (beep).  Certain Volvo Penta outdrives (OceanX) alarm if low lube level (beep) or water in bellows (beep).  Not to make the mystery deeper, but if equipped with EVC, there is a completely different alarm regimen.  Given your description, it seems your motor is entering protect mode.  If this is what's happening, RPM's are limited to protect the motor. 

Please post the full engine model number so better and more accurate help can be provided.  The model number is V6-200-__-__ and is printed on the sticker located on the front center of the black plastic engine cowling.  This sticker includes the model, serial number and product number.  For knowledge building, V6-200-SX isn't the model number and generically refers to a V6 with an SX outdrive.  Unfortunately, this doesn't allow your motor to be identified precisely.

Please also post the information from the sticker labeled drive unit.  This is included with the Volvo Penta manuals that are part of the boat's documentation package.  It's all in the blue Chaparral bag (p.s. there is an engine sticker on the same sheet as well).

Stalling at idle might be related to what's causing the alarm, or it might not be.

Thanks Curt for your valuable input.

About the three causes for the alarm:  1. Oil pressure:   there is a reading of between 50 PSI and PSI; 2.Engine Coolant overheat:  The temperature is 175°F; Exhaust Overheat:  I have no indication of that, although the circulating water over the exhaust is just warm to the touch.

The data for the Motor is:

Volvo Penta V6-200-SX  S/N A650797.  Unfortunately I am away from the boat and cant get the other info.

there is the possibility of water in the fuel or denaturalization of the Ethanol in the Gasoline.  How would i check that?

Thanks!

Borrow a outboard 6 gallon gas tank from a KNOWN good running engine.    Do a temporary rubber hose hook up BEFORE YOUR NEW fuel filters. it takes several minutes to get good gas to the engine.  

Water in gasoline WILL ALWAYS run just like you are asking.  NO power in any gear in a water loading of the prop. We know your spark is good to 5000.  So it could be the water...…...But SOME filters do not really trap all the water. REALLY loaded with water gasoline. Can fill filters super fast.  Been there more than 3 times.  Watered gas has very little smell.  I have tasted watered gas. Almost tasteless.

Good luck.

Did this start ...AFTER a gas refilling ?  if yes ?   Bingo .  most likely.

29 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Borrow a outboard 6 gallon gas tank from a KNOWN good running engine.    Do a temporary rubber hose hook up BEFORE YOUR NEW fuel filters. it takes several minutes to get good gas to the engine.  

Water in gasoline WILL ALWAYS run just like you are asking.  NO power in any gear in a water loading of the prop. We know your spark is good to 5000.  So it could be the water...…...But SOME filters do not really trap all the water. REALLY loaded with water gasoline. Can fill filters super fast.  Been there more than 3 times.  Watered gas has very little smell.  I have tasted watered gas. Almost tasteless.

Good luck.

Did this start ...AFTER a gas refilling ?  if yes ?   Bingo .  most likely.

Thanks Cyclops,

Did this with a three gallon tank with fuel additive... worked better; but still rough.  The boat was stored during 6 months with tank half full.  Gas is 10% ethanol. 

10 hours ago, Latin User said:

Thanks Curt for your valuable input.

About the three causes for the alarm:  1. Oil pressure:   there is a reading of between 50 PSI and PSI; 2.Engine Coolant overheat:  The temperature is 175°F; Exhaust Overheat:  I have no indication of that, although the circulating water over the exhaust is just warm to the touch.

The data for the Motor is:

Volvo Penta V6-200-SX  S/N A650797.  Unfortunately I am away from the boat and cant get the other info.

there is the possibility of water in the fuel or denaturalization of the Ethanol in the Gasoline.  How would i check that?

Thanks!

Thank you for the information.  When you get the other information, please post.  It will help rule some things out (for example, the OceanX alarm is a been every minute).

With what you've posted to this point, the motor is a V6-200-J (non-EVC).  Unless you are getting a solid audible tone, it's not oil pressure.  175-F is at the upper end of the temperature range, but below the alarm set-point.  To quickly analyze this, a computer should be hooked up (Vodia or Diacom).  Based on what's been posted to this point, the issue is likely a mild exhaust overheat, O2 sensor out of parameter, a failed temperature sensor (engine coolant or exhaust) or a failed O2 sensor.  Vodia or Diacom will show if each is operating correctly, and which, if any, are alarming.  Without Vodia or Diacam, a multimeter is used to troubleshoot and it will take some time to diagnose.  With Vodia or Diacom, minutes.   

Regarding fuel, pull the fuel filter and dump the contents into a glass jar.  Let it settle and then look at it.  If there's water or the fuel has degraded, you'll see it straight away.  If in doubt, throw a can or two or three of Sea Foam in or drain the fuel, flush the tank and run it through your car/truck. 

Please keep in mind, the alarm is not related to fuel unless the fuel is so bad it fouled a sensor.  

Thanks Curt.

You are right, the motor is not equipped with EVC.

The Boat was stored 4 months after the trouble. Afterwards, I hooked the engine with a 3 gallon tank and run the motor with new gasoline and Sea Foam (1 ounce per gallon).  I´ll see into the VODIA or DIACOM to diagnose the sensors.

Thanks Again!

7 hours ago, Latin User said:

Thanks Curt.

You are right, the motor is not equipped with EVC.

The Boat was stored 4 months after the trouble. Afterwards, I hooked the engine with a 3 gallon tank and run the motor with new gasoline and Sea Foam (1 ounce per gallon).  I´ll see into the VODIA or DIACOM to diagnose the sensors.

Thanks Again!

Vodia is authorized dealer only.  If you have a current laptop, Diacom is about $600 and the pigtail for your motor is about $50 (www.rinda.com).  

First, pump the fuel out, change the separator and start fresh.  With fresh fuel, if a 50 gallon tank, add 3 cans of Sea Foam.  If a 75, add 4 cans.  If junked up, an injector(s) might be hung.  

Second, a minor overheat could be as simple as the freshwater impeller needs changed.  Pull it and check.  If missing vanes, gouged, nicked, whatever, change it.  Frankly, just change it anyway if it was dry stored.  These should be changed annually.  About $60.  If you need the part number, please post or look on the sticker on the left front of your engine near the top.)

Then, if still an alarm and it's not getting worse, we go to the sensors (and Diacom or an authorized Volvo Penta dealer/service technician).

Thanks all.  Update on the rough idling situation:

I hooked the motor to a Rinda Techmate scanner.  The alarm was: Short term Fuel Trim on side 2.   

Also the spark plug kill test showed only 2 spark plugs where firing correctly.

Cleaned the oxygen sensors and replaced the 6 spark plugs, and the problem was solved!

Most likely water on the fuel caused this.

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, Latin User said:

Thanks all.  Update on the rough idling situation:

I hooked the motor to a Rinda Techmate scanner.  The alarm was: Short term Fuel Trim on side 2.   

Also the spark plug kill test showed only 2 spark plugs where firing correctly.

Cleaned the oxygen sensors and replaced the 6 spark plugs, and the problem was solved!

Most likely water on the fuel caused this.

Thanks!

Thank you for posting your results as we can all learn from your real world experience.  W