Dozer

Weird ticking noise on Port Engine - Need some advise

So the season is done for me here in the Florida Panhandle, so I stared my yearly maintenance to do list. The first thing was to change the oil on both engines. The engines have not ran for about a month, I hooked the water and started the port engine without any issues, and within a 2-4 seconds I started hearing a clicking noise, almost like valves clicking, but it was more of random sort of click. I ran the engine for about 15 min and got it to running temp. When I increase the RPMs to about 1500-1800 the clicking seams to go away, but it's hard to say because of the engine noise. 

So I carefully got into the engine bay while the engine was running, did not feel or smelled any exhaust, the exhaust manifold has even heat all the way across it. I tried to listen for the clicking on the valve covers using a long screwdriver (from ear to valve cover) and could not hear those clicks. The noise is more pronounced on the Starboard side of the motor, so I carefully reached back to the exhaust pipe where the Flapper is installed and could actually feel the very small vibration on every click.

So I'm assuming the brand new flapper I installed when I rebuilt that engine 30 hours ago has failed or something is stuck in them (not sure how/what)
Here is where I need some advise -- do I leave it alone, or try to remove the rubber hose from the riser to the flapper and see what is going on?? This is a real pain, due to twin engines, the space is very limited, and I will have to some body twists to get that accomplished...not to mention busting my knuckles on something else.

Please let me know what you would do and why
Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving Week to everyone

Likely just cold water flashing to steam in the exhaust elbow. For some reason it happens more often when on hose water than when in the water. Sometimes it sounds like a broken piston is rattling around in there. Completely normal and I think you are fine.  W

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Likely just cold water flashing to steam in the exhaust elbow. For some reason it happens more often when on hose water than when in the water. Sometimes it sounds like a broken piston is rattling around in there. Completely normal and I think you are fine.  W

W, thank you for the reply. It did sound like something rattling around.

Don't know what I would have done with this boat without your help over the last year.

Dozer

Exhaust flappers ?  if your engine has  flappers.    STAY OUT OF A RUNNING ENGINE ROOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job on a nice day.  Do they have rubber bumpers ?  Started the engine with not enough water in the complete engine ?