Every time I turn on my electronics i get a "No Position Information" alarm on my VHF 100... it is wired to a GPSMAP 5212 via NMEA 0813... also the radio does not show my GPS coordinates.... i have checked the wiring and it does have the four wires connected to the NMEA cable.... i have also tried changing the communication settings in the 5212.... nothing prevents the alarm or allows the radio to acquire the GPS location.... any other ideas as to what's wrong? 

rsz_120191214_132011.jpg

If you can check the signal with a voltmeter. What I mean is, that your volt meter will bounce up and down around 5V D.C.  Also check the setting in each device and make sure that NMEA 0183 is turned on.  Does your GPS have a NMEA2k port?

I will say that it does gets confusing using 0183. Output from the GPS to the Input of the VHF.  It should be a four wire hookup.    

17 hours ago, Iggy said:

If you can check the signal with a voltmeter. What I mean is, that your volt meter will bounce up and down around 5V D.C.  Also check the setting in each device and make sure that NMEA 0183 is turned on.  Does your GPS have a NMEA2k port?

I will say that it does gets confusing using 0183. Output from the GPS to the Input of the VHF.  It should be a four wire hookup.    

Thanks Iggy... I’ll try the voltmeter... NMEA is on... I changed the various options.... (standard, high speed,garmin) but no luck... 

GPS is wired to the 5212 via NMEA 2000,  radio is conned to the 5212 via NMEA 0183 connector, I know the GPS is fine as it shows location on the chart plotter.... 

The VHF 100 has a 4 wire connection to the NMEA 0183 connection from the 5212....

I’ll try the voltmeter on the connections.... see if there’s anything there...

5 hours ago, WetCoastWillie said:

Thanks Iggy... I’ll try the voltmeter... NMEA is on... I changed the various options.... (standard, high speed,garmin) but no luck... 

GPS is wired to the 5212 via NMEA 2000,  radio is conned to the 5212 via NMEA 0183 connector, I know the GPS is fine as it shows location on the chart plotter.... 

The VHF 100 has a 4 wire connection to the NMEA 0183 connection from the 5212....

I’ll try the voltmeter on the connections.... see if there’s anything there...

Does the GPS antenna have 0183 output? I bet thats a "no".

Download the install manual http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_4000-5000_Install_EN.pdf  Look at page 15 for the color code to see if you have it right.

11 hours ago, Iggy said:

Does the GPS antenna have 0183 output? I bet thats a "no".

Download the install manual http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_4000-5000_Install_EN.pdf  Look at page 15 for the color code to see if you have it right.

Nope...  The GPS Antenna has a NMEA 2000 which is connected to the Chart plotter... Chart plotter has both 0183 and 2K.... Chart plotter is suppose to transmit GPS info onto the NMEA 0183 network.... 

from all the instructions I have read (both the 5212 and VHF100 manuals) everything should work.... I am going to double check the color code on all of the wires, and check for a common ground (manual says required)... make sure nothing is crossed (RXa-TXa, RXB-TXb, TXa-RXa, TXb-RXb) at the same time test each line for voltage as suggested.

11 hours ago, WetCoastWillie said:

UPDATE:

Found the problem.... the @$$#%&! that installed it thought that you match colors on the connecting wires... SMH!

Usually you would think the wires would be color coded.  Good for you for noticing that.  So how many of the wires were mismatched?

13 hours ago, WetCoastWillie said:

UPDATE:

Found the problem.... the @$$#%&! that installed it thought that you match colors on the connecting wires... SMH!

Like I mentioned, it does get confusing. For the inputs and outputs the color codes are different.  

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Usually you would think the wires would be color coded.  Good for you for noticing that.  So how many of the wires were mismatched?

They are color coded. But I can see you have never used 0183. So the input wires on the VHF could be one set of colors and the output of the GPS is another set of colors. So you could be attaching, for the sack of argument, the blue wire to the brown wire to make it work. 

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Every last wire was wrong..... the installer just matched colour to colour... brown to brown, blue to blue, etc.... not per their function, Tx to Rx, Rx to Tx...

It should be;

Purple (RX-a) to Grey (Tx-a)

Grey (RX-b) to Pink (TX-b)

Blue (TX-a) to White (RX-a)

Brown (TX-b) to Orange/White (RX-b)

So they were 0/4... no wonder it didn’t work  :scratchchin:

53 minutes ago, Iggy said:

....... I can see you have never used 0183. So the input wires on the VHF could be one set of colors and the output of the GPS is another set of colors. 

But I do know how to read a wiring diagram..... something the previous installer did not know how to do :huh:

10 hours ago, WetCoastWillie said:

But I do know how to read a wiring diagram..... something the previous installer did not know how to do :huh:

I never questioned you, I did question the other guy who said "Usually you would think the wires would be color coded"

20 hours ago, WetCoastWillie said:

Just do exactly what it said under the 01 in the picture you posted of the radio.  Best way to handle the creepy obsession of those types of posts. :) 

20 hours ago, WetCoastWillie said:

Every last wire was wrong..... the installer just matched colour to colour... brown to brown, blue to blue, etc.... not per their function, Tx to Rx, Rx to Tx...

It should be;

Purple (RX-a) to Grey (Tx-a)

Grey (RX-b) to Pink (TX-b)

Blue (TX-a) to White (RX-a)

Brown (TX-b) to Orange/White (RX-b)

So they were 0/4... no wonder it didn’t work  :scratchchin:

I guess whomever wired it originally didn't care about actually getting it right so it would display all the information that it should. 

Did you have the wiring diagram with the boat when you purchased it or did you have to look it up?  And were you getting all the channels and was the radio actually working the way it was originally wired?

On 12/23/2019 at 8:55 AM, Hatem said:

Just do exactly what it said under the 01 in the picture you posted of the radio.  Best way to handle the creepy obsession of those types of posts. :) 

I guess whomever wired it originally didn't care about actually getting it right so it would display all the information that it should. 

Did you have the wiring diagram with the boat when you purchased it or did you have to look it up?  And were you getting all the channels and was the radio actually working the way it was originally wired?

Please explain how the NMEA 0183 would affect not getting all the channels? Just for future troubleshooting.

14 hours ago, Iggy said:

Please explain how the NMEA 0183 would affect not getting all the channels? Just for future troubleshooting.

I asked @WetCoastWillie if he was getting all the channels he should've been getting and if the radio was working when it was INCORRECTLY wired, prior to him rewiring it correctly and fixing it.  Nothing about NMEA0183 or anything you're trying to turn this into.  He mentioned it wasn't displaying coordinates so I was just curious if that was the only malfunction on the radio, or if there were any others as well.  Just out of curiosity, and for future troubleshooting. :lol:

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

I asked @WetCoastWillie if he was getting all the channels he should've been getting and if the radio was working when it was INCORRECTLY wired, prior to him rewiring it correctly and fixing it.  Nothing about NMEA0183 or anything you're trying to turn this into.  He mentioned it wasn't displaying coordinates so I was just curious if that was the only malfunction on the radio, or if there were any others as well.  Just out of curiosity, and for future troubleshooting. :lol:

The incorrect wiring was about the NMEA 0183 which has nothing to do with the channels or anything else other then being a comm port (displaying Log. & Lat). I just want to see where you were coming from in trouble shooting. Now I see.....  :scratchchin:

12 hours ago, WetCoastWillie said:

If you two kids don’t stop arguing.... I’m heading back to shore and drop you both off... you can wait in the parking lot till we get back!

:tofunny:

Hahaha, if this forum had a "like" button like most others do, I would've given you one on that post.  Friendly ball-busting is almost always fun and enjoyable, especially on this forum that lacks it so badly and is so stiff-neck-like.  :) 

But, on a serious note, you're somewhat new on this forum and probably haven't seen some of these interactions that unfortunately ruin threads for the OPs, so I try not to engage in replies to those for the sake of not ruining your thread.  Quite the opposite and try to genuinely participate in them which is why I asked you if you were experiencing any other issues with the radio (besides no coordinates) when it was originally wired incorrectly.  But you didn't answer and unfortunately that left the door open for....well, you probably get it.  And yes, good thing you figured it out which was another question I asked and no answer was where did you get the wiring diagram from?  You see, harmless interaction.  :)  

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Hahaha, if this forum had a "like" button like most others do, I would've given you one on that post.  Friendly ball-busting is almost always fun and enjoyable, especially on this forum that lacks it so badly and is so stiff-neck-like.  :) 

But, on a serious note, you're somewhat new on this forum and probably haven't seen some of these interactions that unfortunately ruin threads for the OPs, so I try not to engage in replies to those for the sake of not ruining your thread.  Quite the opposite and try to genuinely participate in them which is why I asked you if you were experiencing any other issues with the radio (besides no coordinates) when it was originally wired incorrectly.  But you didn't answer and unfortunately that left the door open for....well, you probably get it.  And yes, good thing you figured it out which was another question I asked and no answer was where did you get the wiring diagram from?  You see, harmless interaction.  :)  

Hahaha.... I’m glad you saw it in the spirit of its intent.... “friendly ball busting”...

there is noticeable animosity in the thread so I was just trying to lighten it up with a laugh...

I appreciate the input... as I go along I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot more questions...

as to your questions... the radio was working fine... it just always went into alarm about 30 sec after power up... (no GPS), and being that I plan on venturing miles offshore, the DSC function would be another level of protection in an emergency. I know I could manually add gps coordinates.... but in an emergency, that’s the last thing one would want to spend time doing, thus my desire to have this function working as intended.

When I pulled the radio I saw that the 4 NMEA where connected, I just assumed they would be wired correctly. 

After Iggys advise to use a meter, I decided to investigate further and prior to the meter I found that they were wired wrong as per my previous post... the hardest part was access as the radio hole was too small to work in, I had to remove the larger fuse panel on the starboard side below the captains chair... this made it easier to access.

I did not receive ANY manuals with the boat so everything that I have read had been downloaded from the appropriate source (garmin manuals from garmin, Chaparral from Chaparral,... etc)

I appreciate the input from everyone... these places are a great forum to learn and share.... thanks!

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:06 PM, WetCoastWillie said:

Hahaha.... I’m glad you saw it in the spirit of its intent.... “friendly ball busting”...

there is noticeable animosity in the thread so I was just trying to lighten it up with a laugh...

I appreciate the input... as I go along I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot more questions...

as to your questions... the radio was working fine... it just always went into alarm about 30 sec after power up... (no GPS), and being that I plan on venturing miles offshore, the DSC function would be another level of protection in an emergency. I know I could manually add gps coordinates.... but in an emergency, that’s the last thing one would want to spend time doing, thus my desire to have this function working as intended.

When I pulled the radio I saw that the 4 NMEA where connected, I just assumed they would be wired correctly. 

After Iggys advise to use a meter, I decided to investigate further and prior to the meter I found that they were wired wrong as per my previous post... the hardest part was access as the radio hole was too small to work in, I had to remove the larger fuse panel on the starboard side below the captains chair... this made it easier to access.

I did not receive ANY manuals with the boat so everything that I have read had been downloaded from the appropriate source (garmin manuals from garmin, Chaparral from Chaparral,... etc)

I appreciate the input from everyone... these places are a great forum to learn and share.... thanks!

Good to know.  Thanks for the answers and good luck with the boat.  Cheers.