MontreAl

Single handed lock passage

Happy New Year fellow boaters,

I am considering a bit of an adventure aboard the JAH Love. My S.O. needs to work and I will have some time alone with our boat on the gulf coast of Florida. I want to travel the Okeechobee waterway from the West to East coast of Florida. We have done this trip together and I am confident passing through locks with 2 crew.  Can it be done with one?  I have searched for videos and can only fine those about narrow European canal locks. Has anyone locked their boat single handed?  How does one handle both a bow and stern line at the same time?

I have gone through the Erie Canal locks a couple of times doing it on my own. Not being able to see your picture, I don't know if you have an arch tower or not. It could make the difference.

The best way to do this on your own is to make sure all your lines, bumpers and hook are in place before you enter the lock. Both lines must be at the cockpit along with the hook.

Once the boat is in place[lock cable], use the hook with one hand to hold the boat. Use the other hand to put the bow line from left to right around the lock cable. Then place the stern line from right to left around the lock cable. Place the hook next to you and hold both lines with some tension. Keep the tension on the lines as the boat rises or lowers in the lock. When the locking is finished, use the hook to hold the boat while your pulling the lines back into the boat with the other.  

Works for me but I don't have an arch tower and my boat is smaller.

Does this improve your user experience? :D

3 hours ago, SST said:

I have gone through the Erie Canal locks a couple of times doing it on my own. Not being able to see your picture, I don't know if you have an arch tower or not. It could make the difference.

The best way to do this on your own is to make sure all your lines, bumpers and hook are in place before you enter the lock. Both lines must be at the cockpit along with the hook.

Once the boat is in place[lock cable], use the hook with one hand to hold the boat. Use the other hand to put the bow line from left to right around the lock cable. Then place the stern line from right to left around the lock cable. Place the hook next to you and hold both lines with some tension. Keep the tension on the lines as the boat rises or lowers in the lock. When the locking is finished, use the hook to hold the boat while your pulling the lines back into the boat with the other.  

Works for me but I don't have an arch tower and my boat is smaller.

Does this improve your user experience? :D

Thanks SST.  Good suggestions.  I do have a radar arch and the Okeechobee waterway locks do not have cables.  There are rope lines to hang onto as the water level changes and I may be able to use your technique.  

MontreAl

I did it in the same boat going from west to east when I brought my boat down from Virginia to Sarasota 2 years ago. It can be a little dicey trying to handle both the stern and bow lines but the lock operators were a lot of help.  I did have an interesting experience in one of the locks. As I was dropping down, seems like it was 5 or 6 feet,  there was a very large yellow jacket nest that had taken up residence in one of the lock wall crevices which I had not noticed when it started. But......as I was being lowered down it came into view right in front of me and because we were still going down there was nothing I could do.....except remain very still!!!  Good times.

I went thru in August and the lake was covered in green algae that made the water look like anti-freeze, very strange. 

Have fun,

Greg

23 hours ago, Greg954rr said:

MontreAl

I did it in the same boat going from west to east when I brought my boat down from Virginia to Sarasota 2 years ago. It can be a little dicey trying to handle both the stern and bow lines but the lock operators were a lot of help.  I did have an interesting experience in one of the locks. As I was dropping down, seems like it was 5 or 6 feet,  there was a very large yellow jacket nest that had taken up residence in one of the lock wall crevices which I had not noticed when it started. But......as I was being lowered down it came into view right in front of me and because we were still going down there was nothing I could do.....except remain very still!!!  Good times.

I went thru in August and the lake was covered in green algae that made the water look like anti-freeze, very strange. 

Have fun,

Greg

Thanks for the encouragement, Greg.  Interesting, we have the same boat and are quite close to one another as our home port is in Venice.