Sign in to follow this  
cyclops2

range that a WIFI hacker can pick up my phone modem signals ?

Phone company lady said the range of the wireless modem signals is no more than 40 feet.  Does that sound correct?  Does that means a hacker needs to be at door or window ?

Thank you.

Probably about right.  Depends on placement of your wireless router.  Ours is on the second floor and I have an extended range version.  My daughter can get a signal in her tree house about 40' away from house.  At 60' I loose signal in the garage.  Sometimes a fixed device (say wireless receiver for a desktop computer) can be placed a bit further and still lock in a signal.  We had a family member who used his neighbors wifi for years.  His house was about 60' away.  The neighbor finally added a password.  Ours has the WPA2 encryption, which is common.  I believe there are hacks that can get through.  But, anyone close enough to my house would be noticed.  One of the nice things about have an acre lot.  

Many thanks Roady 68.

I have 1.5 acres in a farm area. Very decent neighbors also

17 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Phone company lady said the range of the wireless modem signals is no more than 40 feet.  Does that sound correct?  Does that means a hacker needs to be at door or window ?

Thank you.

You did change the password so it is not an open network. Yes? If you did than it does not matter.

:slap:

You panicked me Iggy.  Until I checked.  Thanks for the help.  :D

I was also concerned about that as well. I questioned the provider about it and he said about the same thing. But I'm skeptical because when I turn on my computer and see the list of wi-fi units powered, I see about 7 on the list. So therefore I assume mine is on their list. That means it goes beyond the 60 feet.  Second floor for mine.

If you see them ?

I have never seen any other WIFI on my home.

Vacation The WIFI is all over everyone. I use wire cable connection only.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, cyclops2 said:

If you see them ?

I have never seen any other WIFI on my home.

Vacation The WIFI is all over everyone. I use wire cable connection only.

I live in the city and I see several neighbors worth of WiFi access points. All are password protected though. You can always disable broadcasting your SSID to prevent you from popping up on any WiFi searches, they'd have to know your SSID beforehand.