Bruce Weissberg

Swim Platforms for H2O 18 and 19 Foot Boats

Hi:

I would love to own a Chaparral bowrider, but I have a dog and their beautiful H2O series boats only have swim platforms that are well off the water.  I tried to get a swim platform put on that would be four to six inches off the water so my dog and family could use it but if I were to buy a Chaparral and get the swim platform put off it would void the boats warranty.  And most Chaparral dealers don't want to me bothered.  How can we get this company to redesign this boat with a swim platform that isn't 12 to 16 inches off of the water.  Dogs do not like climbing ladders and most dog ladders don't work for big dogs.

Bruce

3 hours ago, Bruce Weissberg said:

Hi:

I would love to own a Chaparral bowrider, but I have a dog and their beautiful H2O series boats only have swim platforms that are well off the water.  I tried to get a swim platform put on that would be four to six inches off the water so my dog and family could use it but if I were to buy a Chaparral and get the swim platform put off it would void the boats warranty.  And most Chaparral dealers don't want to me bothered.  How can we get this company to redesign this boat with a swim platform that isn't 12 to 16 inches off of the water.  Dogs do not like climbing ladders and most dog ladders don't work for big dogs.

Bruce

You could use a ramp rather then a ladder.  Denny.

image.jpeg.ef49ae3938cc4e9a9cd7d52d8749eb0a.jpeg

Low swim platforms on small boats could be a swamp hazard. Swimplatforms.com should be able to solve your issues.... 

As a pet owner, I don't let my pets rule my life.  They are animals, not people.  (My pets hate hearing that!)

And as a guy who tends to tilt at windmills, I say pass on this one Don.

21 hours ago, Denny said:

You could use a ramp rather then a ladder.  Denny.

image.jpeg.ef49ae3938cc4e9a9cd7d52d8749eb0a.jpeg

+1  Friends of mine purchased a new boat last year and their dog has torn up the swim pad on the swim deck.  Brand new boat and they are already talking about needing to make repairs. :thmadslap-1: Build a ramp its less expensive, portable and you don't destroy your boat in the process. 

21 hours ago, Futzin' said:

(My pets hate hearing that!)

What do you think they are, humans?   :haha-7383:

Back to topic, the newer boat designs do look cool with the extended swimplatforms as part of the hull. The only drawback is that they do tend to be high. I have also seen many of the older factory bolt extended swimplatforms that are pretty high. The aftermarket ones like swimplatforms.com tend to be closer to the water. If you want your dog to climb aboard, you will pretty much need a dedicated ski or wakeboard boat. Their platforms sit right on the water.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:16 PM, Bruce Weissberg said:

Hi:

Bruce

It  is pretty high, for sure.  I never noticed it on that specific model. until now that you mentioned it.  They probably do that for a reason since once you're underway and stern gets lower, so does the platform and you don't want that thing sinking into the water.

2018_21_H2O_Sport_0.jpg

Compare it to my 2010 276ssx and similar boats of those years, it seems to be higher than mine, but still integral and part of the hull, so it would be almost impossible for the factory to build one for you without the SP "put off it" as you put it which I'm assuming eliminated completely? 

ymhpFhK.jpg

That means they would need a whole new mold unless they can cut it off after the fact and then finish it off manually with fiberglass and gelcoat etc.  That's probably why they wouldn't want to be bothered with it.  It's a pain in the $^& to do that and would cost you a lot more (IF they even agreed to do it) which would defeat the whole purpose of building these "entry-level" boats in the first place.

I would go ahead and buy it the way it is and you could do 1 of 2 things - either buy one of those ramps like @Denny suggested (which I think is a great idea) because it's the easiest and cheapest way to solve the pet problem, or, add another swim platform below that existing one.  Sort of a 2-tier platform like the Formulas have on some of their boats.  Not sure if it would work, you'd have to take a good look at the way the H20's transom is designed and if you could bolt on a secondary SP to it and especially have enough transom left below it for the angled brackets that hold up the platform and go from there.

This two-step is also integral to the hull, but you get the idea. You'd have to slide the new platform under the existing one and then you'd be right on the water, or close to it.  Feasibility and how it would alter the performance of the boat are great considerations to take into mind which makes me think Denny's idea is really the best way to go.

350FXfeatureswimplatform.jpg

A lot of example out there.

blog2.jpg

2348194_orig.jpg

original.jpg