Denny

One Day Closer To Spring

Going window shopping to the Cleveland IX boat show on the 17th, and the Detroit show on the 20th.:)

Every year I go to look at all the eye candy. I also try to see if there is any of them there to replace my girl, haven't found one yet.

All of us Great Lakes boaters know that we are nowheres near our boating season, but the shows seem to get the adrenaline going, which seems to make the winters shorter.  Denny. 

4 hours ago, Denny said:

Going window shopping to the Cleveland IX boat show on the 17th, and the Detroit show on the 20th.:)

Every year I go to look at all the eye candy. I also try to see if there is any of them there to replace my girl, haven't found one yet.

All of us Great Lakes boaters know that we are nowheres near our boating season, but the shows seem to get the adrenaline going, which seems to make the winters shorter.  Denny. 

Like you, I doubt I'll ever find a reasonable replacement for my girl.  Not that I want to, it just amazes me year after year the sameness of it all.  Like you, we always go (1 - 3 boat/RV shows) each year.  Love that fiberglass smell!  Nowadays, we spend most of our day touring travel trailers; the boats are too much the same as ever.  Re: campers, it's kinda the same.  We chose perfectly (for us) the first time in 2015.  Nothing since comes close.  But at least there are differing floor plans and features year to year.

The New England Boat Show is coming up next month. I can differently find a replacement for my boat!  I mean, I love my boat and for what it is Its great! But we are finding it too small for our needs. We live on it on the weekends and take one or two 10 day trips over the summer on her. 

The only reason I'd replace mine is if a significant change in "revenue streaming" occurred. Ya know, the Lotto! haha 

It wouldn't be a horizontal purchase. It would be an upgrade to a larger boat like the 270 or higher.   Besides, I don't like the plastic look of new boats. I like my woody!

I have " matured ?    :haha-7383:     "       

I find  having 4 of us in the boat .  And taking a drive to a fine eatery. Is now more satisfying . Than the new boat shake down cruise .   Sometimes it is too dark to drive back.  So we stay over a lot more.  Almost every cruise.   At 30 I could change boats as fast as girlfriends.

12 hours ago, Iggy said:

The New England Boat Show is coming up next month. I can differently find a replacement for my boat!  I mean, I love my boat and for what it is Its great! But we are finding it too small for our needs. We live on it on the weekends and take one or two 10 day trips over the summer on her. 

I can only remember 2 times that I wished my girl was bigger, and that was when I got caught into some real heavy seas. When I spend the night, I'm alone, the family was never into that. Ma-Ma wanted a bed that did not rock, along with all the other amenities that came with a motel. If I put up my canvas, I have a room that is 6'7" high by 6' wide and 10' long, which is plenty for me.  Denny.

IMG-3326.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 8:41 PM, Denny said:

You know what sticks out to me every year I go to the New England boat show which is always sometime in early - mid February which is probably the coldest month in New England looool is how friggin cold it is at that time!  I know it sounds redundant but because it's held at the Expo Center, the parking lot is HUUUUUGGGEAAH, right?  So by the time we find a spot to park the big ol' 450, we have to walk a pretty decent distance to get to the entry doors and the center is located pretty close to the shore of Boston Harbor and so add all the factors in; by the ocean, middle of February and in New England...we freeze our balls off looool by the time we get inside the building.  It's even worst if we happen to go on a windy day or something like that.  And then we go in to see what is actually a summertime activity LOL!  It's like getting punched in the head and then walking to the beach or something along those lines.  :D 

But it's always fun to see the new stuff and look at the crazy pricing and how much these things cost it's unbelievable.  It makes me grateful that the 276 is all paid for (and had been since I bought it) and that's what discourages me really from wanting anything new.  To me, at my age, a boat is not something that is financed.  No way Jose.  But to each his own.

I enjoy seeing the Christ Craft mahogany boats and all the detail involved in the woodworking of those things.  Then there is the list of certain boat brands that have to be visited and looked at inside no matter how many times we've seen them or their predecessors such as the Formulas, some of the larger Sea Rays, definitely take a close look at the new Chaps and a few other brands.  This year I'll be interested in seeing some of the larger, center consoles with quad outboards since that type of boat is becoming a huge fad.  Unfortunately their pricing is out of the realm of realities on the ground LOL!  I also would like to see this new replacement to generators and understand how it works etc.  Take a look at the new electronics and any of the new inventions etc. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 1:13 AM, Futzin' said:

Like you, I doubt I'll ever find a reasonable replacement for my girl.  Not that I want to, it just amazes me year after year the sameness of it all.  Like you, we always go (1 - 3 boat/RV shows) each year.  Love that fiberglass smell!  Nowadays, we spend most of our day touring travel trailers; the boats are too much the same as ever.  Re: campers, it's kinda the same.  We chose perfectly (for us) the first time in 2015.  Nothing since comes close.  But at least there are differing floor plans and features year to year.

Yeah, same here.  Our seasons are relatively short and unless you're independently wealthy, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade any time soon, especially when all the new mods I keep adding to the boat are making it a lot funner and much more user-friendly that it makes me just want to keep finding ways to make it better and funner to enjoy the short summers.  Plus for us, there are other things we like to do in the summer and on weekends and it's not all about boating all the time.  So investing so much money for something you don't get to use for much time is not really wise, in our case anyway.  But it's fun to see what's out there, for sure.

I have been going to the boat shows every winter since the early 90s.  I always love to just look at the new stuff and it breaks up the winter.  This year, however, I'm going to skip it.  There really is nothing I want to look at this year.  Not a fan of the new outboard fad and other than that, nothing really new.  We go to the NYC show and it's an expensive day after parking (or the bus), dinner, drinks, etc.  I'll keep hoping for my dream boat:  a go fast with a large, wide open cockpit that's good for lounging on the hook.  Still can't get into the Center Console style unless I move to the coast.

6 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I have been going to the boat shows every winter since the early 90s.  I always love to just look at the new stuff and it breaks up the winter.  This year, however, I'm going to skip it.  There really is nothing I want to look at this year.  Not a fan of the new outboard fad and other than that, nothing really new.  We go to the NYC show and it's an expensive day after parking (or the bus), dinner, drinks, etc.  I'll keep hoping for my dream boat:  a go fast with a large, wide open cockpit that's good for lounging on the hook.  Still can't get into the Center Console style unless I move to the coast.

For me if it doesn't have a cuddy I'm not interested. I have everything you can have on a boat, the thing that I miss at the shows, are the gadgets you can buy.  Denny.

10 hours ago, Hatem said:

You know what sticks out to me every year I go to the New England boat show which is always sometime in early - mid February which is probably the coldest month in New England looool is how friggin cold it is at that time!  I know it sounds redundant but because it's held at the Expo Center, the parking lot is HUUUUUGGGEAAH, right?  So by the time we find a spot to park the big ol' 450, we have to walk a pretty decent distance to get to the entry doors and the center is located pretty close to the shore of Boston Harbor and so add all the factors in; by the ocean, middle of February and in New England...we freeze our balls off looool by the time we get inside the building.  It's even worst if we happen to go on a windy day or something like that.  And then we go in to see what is actually a summertime activity LOL!  It's like getting punched in the head and then walking to the beach or something along those lines.  :D 

But it's always fun to see the new stuff and look at the crazy pricing and how much these things cost it's unbelievable.  It makes me grateful that the 276 is all paid for (and had been since I bought it) and that's what discourages me really from wanting anything new.  To me, at my age, a boat is not something that is financed.  No way Jose.  But to each his own.

I enjoy seeing the Christ Craft mahogany boats and all the detail involved in the woodworking of those things.  Then there is the list of certain boat brands that have to be visited and looked at inside no matter how many times we've seen them or their predecessors such as the Formulas, some of the larger Sea Rays, definitely take a close look at the new Chaps and a few other brands.  This year I'll be interested in seeing some of the larger, center consoles with quad outboards since that type of boat is becoming a huge fad.  Unfortunately their pricing is out of the realm of realities on the ground LOL!  I also would like to see this new replacement to generators and understand how it works etc.  Take a look at the new electronics and any of the new inventions etc. 

Yeah, same here.  Our seasons are relatively short and unless you're independently wealthy, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade any time soon, especially when all the new mods I keep adding to the boat are making it a lot funner and much more user-friendly that it makes me just want to keep finding ways to make it better and funner to enjoy the short summers.  Plus for us, there are other things we like to do in the summer and on weekends and it's not all about boating all the time.  So investing so much money for something you don't get to use for much time is not really wise, in our case anyway.  But it's fun to see what's out there, for sure.

(it's always fun to see the new stuff and look at the crazy pricing and how much these things cost it's unbelievable)

A couple of years ago I saw a used Formula at the show that was a little bigger then mine. And they wanted more for it then I had in mine including the cost of using it 25 years. And now it is not so much the cost of the boat, it is the cost of the outboard motor.  Denny.

14 hours ago, Denny said:

For me if it doesn't have a cuddy I'm not interested. I have everything you can have on a boat, the thing that I miss at the shows, are the gadgets you can buy.  Denny.

one thing I really like is the Mid-Cabin, Open Bow boats.  Not many made anymore but to me that gave the best of both.  A small cabin to crash in with the space of a bowrider

9 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

one thing I really like is the Mid-Cabin, Open Bow boats.  Not many made anymore but to me that gave the best of both.  A small cabin to crash in with the space of a bowrider

Ya, I seen them at the show last year, interesting.

One thing that I have noticed is some of the things are tight fitting, I am small, and I even have trouble fitting into some of them.  Denny.

G M had a known marketing slogan.

How can we give them less.  For more money.

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

G M had a known marketing slogan.

How can we give them less.  For more money.

And they did.

Cars used to have running boards, they eliminated them, and charged you more.

Had little wing windows, got rid of them and charged you more.

Fresh air vents gone, car cost more.

The list goes on.  Denny.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:17 PM, Denny said:

(it's always fun to see the new stuff and look at the crazy pricing and how much these things cost it's unbelievable)

A couple of years ago I saw a used Formula at the show that was a little bigger then mine. And they wanted more for it then I had in mine including the cost of using it 25 years. And now it is not so much the cost of the boat, it is the cost of the outboard motor.  Denny.

How much do you think is in this picture alone? LOL!  These were back-to-back Formula 400 SSC and a 430 SSC (I think, or a 380 but either way) and if you add up the cost of all those outboards, if you take the average I guess would probably be somewhere around $35K per unit?  You're looking at $280K worth of outboards alone looooooool.

CmHJ1ey.jpg

But I do admit that the Formula 400 SSC is once of the most gorgeous and desirable boats out there.  Seeing it's layout and the size (40ft-11inches) and the enclosed cockpit with a very decent and spacious cabin with bowrider seats, basically the ultimate crossover makes it one of the favorites out there.

6543647_20171127150009698_1_XLARGE-980x6

It even has an aft berth in the lower space lol! 

display-Formula-Boats-400-SSC-Lower-deck

To have all that along with the bow seating is extraordinary!  The cockpit layout is fantastic.  Add in the space of the swim platform and the protective gate that swings or folds or whatever just goes to show you how they think of every single detail possible.  Doesn't get any better than this.  My son and I always enjoy getting onto this thing and checking out all the stuff, big and little.

display-Formula-Boats-400-SSC-Main-deck-

Formula makes a sweet boat!  But their boats cost like 50% more than the competition!  When I bought my 256, it was down to the Formula 260 or my Chap.  The price difference was astronomical!!  Not even close!

Boat show here in the Dallas area is the fist week in Feb. Not that I am allowed to go to it. My 330 was a boat show boat and will probably be my last boat. I will keep her till I  can no longer take care of her. Not sure when you call it spring around here since it was 81 on Wed. 

7 hours ago, mpm330 said:

Boat show here in the Dallas area is the fist week in Feb. Not that I am allowed to go to it. My 330 was a boat show boat and will probably be my last boat. I will keep her till I  can no longer take care of her. Not sure when you call it spring around here since it was 81 on Wed. 

Rub it in. LOL 

28 feels like 20 here, so they say.

Just got back from the Cleveland show. Report to come, not good for Chap. Denny.

I found out that the 2018 Accord has NO rain drip channel to keep roof rain from pouring on you and the car seat & inner door surfaces.  The state rest stops  are putting warning signs in the sit down toilet rooms.    BYO in 20 21.

I think I am going to have my wife give me a Viking Funeral in the 2002 186.  

Located on the roof, the rain gutters dramatically changed the profile of the car, affecting air flow. Therefore, rain gutters were phased out in the 1980s to enhance aerodynamics – but no one seemed to notice.

Well I sure did, every time I opened the door and got wet. Denny.

The umbrella does work when the door is opened. ALL the roof water runs down the umbrella and goes into all those armrest switches.  Oh well.

I do like the remote engine start . If I remember to leave the temperature & fan controls preset when I leave the car at night. 

1 hour ago, Denny said:

Rub it in. LOL 

28 feels like 20 here, so they say.

Just got back from the Cleveland show. Report to come, not good for Chap. Denny.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:10 PM, Denny said:

In a nut shell, it was a pretty good show, it had something for everyone.

There were some gadget people, but not as many as years past.

Some house related people.

The boating industry was well covered, some nice looking boats, and a lot of not so good looking boats. I don't know where the peoples heads are that are designing them.

For me personally I think the smaller bow riders with mid cabins are a waste of good space, the area designated for the cabins that I looked at are barely big enough for 2 people to get in. Except for one that I thought was well done, it was on a (Large) Pursuit that was only 1/2 of a mil.

A couple of years ago there were 2 Chap dealers at the show, sales must be down this year, there is only 1, and this was his sad display.

(1) 23 & 21 Deluxe, and (2) 19 deluxe H2o

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

The 23, 21 and one H2o were side by side and the other H2o was on the other side next to one of the dealers other boats.

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

The umbrella does work when the door is opened. ALL the roof water runs down the umbrella and goes into all those armrest switches.  Oh well.

I do like the remote engine start . If I remember to leave the temperature & fan controls preset when I leave the car at night. 

(remember to leave the temperature & fan controls preset when I leave the car at night.)

That is part of my check list before I turn the car off.  Denny.