Denny

One Day Closer To Spring

11 hours ago, Denny said:

In a nut shell, it was a pretty good show, it had something for everyone.

There were some gadget people, but not as many as years past.

Some house related people.

The boating industry was well covered, some nice looking boats, and a lot of not so good looking boats. I don't know where the peoples heads are that are designing them.

For me personally I think the smaller bow riders with mid cabins are a waste of good space, the area designated for the cabins that I looked at are barely big enough for 2 people to get in. Except for one that I thought was well done, it was on a (Large) Pursuit that was only 1/2 of a mil.

A couple of years ago there were 2 Chap dealers at the show, sales must be down this year, there is only 1, and this was his sad display.

(1) 23 & 21 Delux Deluxe, and (2) 19 deluxe H2o

IMG_1197.jpg

Awesome!  Thanks for taking pics and posting them, Denny.  That's a rare feature on this forum these days.  This pic here really gives out a good perspective on how high the integrated swim platform is.  A lot of visible transom area below it.  Can't remember the name of the member who posted a thread just a couple of days ago about getting ready to buy one of these, but he wanted Chaparral to either lower the swim platform or cut it out on an H20 and now, looking at this pic, I can see why he wanted to do that and his reasoning was because of his dog not being able to get up on it from the water.  Oh yeah, now that I think about it, your suggestion on using that ramp was the best way to deal with that problem because there's no way Chaparral would customize something like that.  Definitely not messing with the mold lol to change an integrated design, so the only thing they would do is cut it out after the fact and they wouldn't even do that.  But man is that high!  Good-looking little starter boat, though.

And I really like this option for the fishing seat.  This is one of those things that can be added as a mod on almost any other boat.

11 hours ago, Denny said:

IMG_1200.jpg

On 1/18/2020 at 12:01 AM, Denny said:

(remember to leave the temperature & fan controls preset when I leave the car at night.)

That is part of my check list before I turn the car off.  Denny. 

Most new cars don't look at last settings on HVAC system.  Assuming its a factory option and not an aftermarket system.  They look at ambient temperature.  If its above a certain temperature, they'll kick on the A/C.  If its below a certain temperature, then kicks on the heat.  My last truck and current truck also kick on the seat heaters, and the current truck kicks on the steering wheel heater.  Yes, my wife makes fun because I have a pickup with a steering wheel heater.  But I digress.  

On topic, I am looking forward to the WNY Boat Show in Orchard Park next month.  I wanted to get to the Toronto show, but too many things in the way.  

1 hour ago, Roady68 said:

Yes, my wife makes fun because I have a pickup with a steering wheel heater.

lol!  I can see heated seats, but steering wheel?  :haha-7383: Fancy shmancy.  What kind of truck is it?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:46 PM, cyclops2 said:

Very nice Bass Boat chair .

Needs another one on starboard.

6 hours ago, Hatem said:

lol!  I can see heated seats, but steering wheel?  :haha-7383: Fancy shmancy.  What kind of truck is it?

GMC Sierra 1500 AT4. I had three Dodges, first two were amazing (reliability and function), third junk.  Then went to Ford. Again first two were amazing, third one way too many little things to keep my confidence so traded it in last week.  Still cant pull my Sig 300. Should have went to a 2500 series oh well.  This one should get me through to retirement in a few years then who knows.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, Roady68 said:

Most new cars don't look at last settings on HVAC system.  Assuming its a factory option and not an aftermarket system.  They look at ambient temperature.  If its above a certain temperature, they'll kick on the A/C.  If its below a certain temperature, then kicks on the heat.  My last truck and current truck also kick on the seat heaters, and the current truck kicks on the steering wheel heater.  Yes, my wife makes fun because I have a pickup with a steering wheel heater.  But I digress.  

On topic, I am looking forward to the WNY Boat Show in Orchard Park next month.  I wanted to get to the Toronto show, but too many things in the way.  

My daughter's 2019 malibu does the ambient temp thing, will do what it needs. Sure hope the computer doesn't take a dump, could get expensive.

My dad never had power anything on his cars,  he said it was just something else to go wrong with it.

He bought a car every 4 years, and the last car that he bought was a 1964 pontiac tempest lemans.  Denny.

Image result for 1964 pontiac lemans

Well, did the Detroit Show.

If you are into wake boats, pontoon boats, and fishing boats, you just landed in hog heaven.

Seems outboards are the wave of the future, I'll still take my 350 chevy.

Gadget people, nothing really going on there.

Lots of boat manufactures represented with well done displays.

If you were looking for a bowrider, there were so many different shapes and sizes to choose from, cuddy's were almost non existent.

For me I was having a hard time deciphering between one and another, they all started to look alike, the only way that I could tell which one I was looking at was to look at the name.

To view the Formula's, they had you go through a gated like area, and you had to fill out some type of form first, probably to filter out the serious prospective buyers and the lookers, of which I wanted no part of, so I have no insight on Formula's.

Again the only mid cabin that impressed me was, a 38 ft Boston Whaler at 3/4 of a mil.

Chap had a small but nice display, about 6 boats, but all with different amenities to offer.  Denny.

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

The outboard just look so tacky to me on a boat like that. It ruins the swim area for kids and it's in your view. I dont get it. Has to be a budget thing for the boat makers. Way easier to order one boat and just swap power packages for buyers that want the cheap motor or the upgrade. Looks like crap.

Great pics, Denny!  The OSX and 257 are very sharp, even with outboards, but they definitely cut into the swim platform.  But there are other benefits to having outboards, for sure.

The new style of the Chap swim platforms where they bring the sides around the stern is pretty cool-looking.  You see that feature on a lot of other brands, even on large yachts.  Azimut has been doing that for decades, actually.  I suppose it helps a lot with docking and that section would take the brunt of the bumps and gouges and protect the nice gelcoat on the side, so it has its benefits along with the looks.

And speaking of banging into docks, this was at last year's show here in Boston and this guy (it was actually a couple) who invented this fender setup with their own baskets that you can bolt to the side of the dock and put the fenders into them to use as more cushioning as well as protecting the fenders, keeping them out of the water and away from any marine growth.  Plus you can just leave them in the baskets if you don't want to take them with you.  He has an agreement with West Marine to help him get them out there and last year was his/their first year of getting the patent out there.  It will be interesting to see them this year and find out how successful this invention of his has been.  Seems like a great idea and I hope it materializes for them.  Love seeing potential success stories like these, especially from regular, hard-working folks which is the impression I got speaking to him. 

t93NAVt.jpg

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

Great pics, Denny!  The OSX and 257 are very sharp, even with outboards, but they definitely cut into the swim platform.  But there are other benefits to having outboards, for sure.

The new style of the Chap swim platforms where they bring the sides around the stern is pretty cool-looking.  You see that feature on a lot of other brands, even on large yachts.  Azimut has been doing that for decades, actually.  I suppose it helps a lot with docking and that section would take the brunt of the bumps and gouges and protect the nice gelcoat on the side, so it has its benefits along with the looks.

And speaking of banging into docks, this was at last year's show here in Boston and this guy (it was actually a couple) who invented this fender setup with their own baskets that you can bolt to the side of the dock and put the fenders into them to use as more cushioning as well as protecting the fenders, keeping them out of the water and away from any marine growth.  Plus you can just leave them in the baskets if you don't want to take them with you.  He has an agreement with West Marine to help him get them out there and last year was his/their first year of getting the patent out there.  It will be interesting to see them this year and find out how successful this invention of his has been.  Seems like a great idea and I hope it materializes for them.  Love seeing potential success stories like these, especially from regular, hard-working folks which is the impression I got speaking to him. 

t93NAVt.jpg

What are the buckets made out of?

If they are plastic, then somehow I am loosing the concept.

And if they are, couldn't that mar the sides of the boat?  Denny

13 hours ago, Denny said:

What are the buckets made out of?

If they are plastic, then somehow I am loosing the concept.

And if they are, couldn't that mar the sides of the boat?  Denny

They're rubber and very flexible yet strong.  I think it's the same rubber the fenders are made of IIRC.  They showed a video of a boat backing up into one of them that was empty and it just flexed and popped right back into its normal shape.  Just incase you forget to keep a fender in it, it still works really well.  Great idea and invention and I really hope to see him there again and hear that he's selling them like crazy.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 4:02 PM, Futzin' said:

My wife's 2015 Durango has a heated steering wheel.  I scoffed at first, then I used it . . . 

Hahahahaha!  I've been guilty of doing things like that, too. 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 4:00 PM, Roady68 said:

GMC Sierra 1500 AT4. I had three Dodges, first two were amazing (reliability and function), third junk.  Then went to Ford. Again first two were amazing, third one way too many little things to keep my confidence so traded it in last week.  Still cant pull my Sig 300. Should have went to a 2500 series oh well.  This one should get me through to retirement in a few years then who knows.

So last week you traded the Ford pickup and went back to a GMC Sierra 1500 AT4?  That won't pull the Sig 300?  Is it the power or more about the brakes and towing/payload etc.?  At least your boat is mostly at the marina, I think, so not being able to tow it just limits your ability to take it to different places, right?

I know what you mean about all the new stuff in these new trucks and cars.  I ordered my 2015 F-450 and went with the larger everything more so because of trailering the boat not just to the water/marina, but for traveling with it.  Even though I'm in the construction business and haul and tow A LOT of things back and forth all the time, I really didn't need anything beyond an F-350, but I figured I would go the extra to make it as easy as possible since we want to trailer to a lot of places along the eastern coast, even to Florida.  Boston to Miami for example is almost 1,500 miles one way!  So that was the reason to go big and it's obviously great and I love it and all, but as soon as there is an issue (which there was with the DEF fluid) and diesel exhaust cleaner, the computer goes absolutely berserk.  The guys at my mechanic's place had to reset the computer so that it would tell the ($5K pump!!!!!!!) to pump the DEF fluid properly because for some reason, it stopped doing that.  Once you run out of fluid (or if the computer THINKS you ran out of fluid), your speed is automatically relegated to a maximum of 55mph and nothing above that.  They fixed that issue (without having to change the pump thank GOD!) but then that caused other codes to go nutty, 5 of them.  So when it was time to get an inspection sticker, couldn't do it because all 5 codes showed up.  Took it back to the dealer who spent half a day @ $300 to reset all the codes to factory settings and then I had to drive it for 300 miles before all the codes would clear and not show up on inspection.  Took over 1000 miles before all codes were reset loooool. 

My 2005 F-350 was so much better -- as far as simplicity was concerned -- with so many less problems (actually had it for almost 10 years without anything major happening to it) and I used the living @#$%@# out of it.  Carried A LOT of heavy loads as well as towed huge equipment and it always got me from point A to B and back.  Probably the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.  All these new trucks are so loaded with all this fancy stuff that's only more issues to happen. 

I love the backup camera and now they have the invisible backup camera which is CRAZY!  That, I would love to get so you can actually see behind your boat!  Talk about absolute brilliant electronic inventions!  And I believe you can get it since it's a GMC creation.  Anyone have this?

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Hahahahaha!  I've been guilty of doing things like that, too. 

So last week you traded the Ford pickup and went back to a GMC Sierra 1500 AT4?  That won't pull the Sig 300?  Is it the power or more about the brakes and towing/payload etc.?  At least your boat is mostly at the marina, I think, so not being able to tow it just limits your ability to take it to different places, right?

<< snip >>

Yep, traded in on a GMC.  This is my first new truck from GM so I'll see how this one holds up.  I never really have a need to trailer the boat.  It sits in the slip all summer so we use it.  Last trailer-able boat we had sat in driveway more than anywhere else. The cost difference to go to the 2500 series was't justifiable.  For the delta on a few payments, I can have it towed back to my house, or up to a marina on Lake Ontario.  There are a couple of guys who trailer boats pretty reasonably. 

On 1/20/2020 at 4:02 PM, Futzin' said:

My wife's 2015 Durango has a heated steering wheel.  I scoffed at first, then I used it . . . 

Yep!