Sign in to follow this  
Miss Emma

Transom Shower

Chaparral 300 - 2001. 

Currently our shower uses water out of our holding tank. My old boat Regal 242-1999 drew water off the engine, the hot off the port of the engine, and the cold off of the starboard. From there it went to the pump for the transom and we had unlimited hot water as long as the boat engine was running and cold as well.

As I no longer have the boat, I can't look into which water line was to the water pump. Can anyone give me a little help. As soon as it wars up here, I want to buy some fittings and make the much needed changes. Fresh water boat and lake.

Phillbo, yes I've got a water heater. I wish not use the tanked water. Want to pull water out of lake, heat through the engine...

If you have a water heater it should be plumbed into the engine to provide heat to the tank when they are running. You should be able to tap into the existing loop and get hot lake water from there. 

54 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

If you have a water heater it should be plumbed into the engine to provide heat to the tank when they are running. You should be able to tap into the existing loop and get hot lake water from there. 

Just remember to restrict the amount of water you are stealing from the water heater loop as any remaining volume still needs to mix with and quench the exhaust gasses before they pass through the rubber exhaust hoses and transom.   W

I had a Regal prior to buying this Chaparral. 

On the Regal the hot water came off the engine on the port side, a water plug hole. The cold came off of the cycle pump on the starboard side, T-ed into  softer of the two tubes. What I'm wondering is, would the cold be pressurized? Someone on another form suggests putting the pump after the hot/cold mixer valve ( taps ) and I was hoping someone else had this set up.

I've posted on a Regal site in hopes of getting the answer if it is not found here. 

21 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Maybe install a second expansion tank and pump??

????   OK Phil, now I'm confused.   W

16 hours ago, Miss Emma said:

I had a Regal prior to buying this Chaparral. 

On the Regal the hot water came off the engine on the port side, a water plug hole. The cold came off of the cycle pump on the starboard side, T-ed into  softer of the two tubes. What I'm wondering is, would the cold be pressurized? Someone on another form suggests putting the pump after the hot/cold mixer valve ( taps ) and I was hoping someone else had this set up.

I've posted on a Regal site in hopes of getting the answer if it is not found here. 

I'm just curious so I hope you don't mind me asking these questions.  They can also be helpful getting the thinking wheel going towards solving the new method of getting your warm and cold transom shower water.

1) What lake are you in and how clean is it?  Since you used it before in the Regal, it's safe to assume that you're comfortable with using the lake water and that it is clean enough, even if it's just for the transom shower?  Did you have any type of filtration system set up for the water to cycle through, prior to coming out of the transom shower?

2) Is it only the transom shower that you use this for and you use the fresh water tank separately for all the other fixtures such as the bathroom shower, toilets, sinks etc.?

3) How big is the current fresh water tank (gallons)?

4) Do you have access to the Regal or is it bought by someone who took it far away from where you currently are?  Because if you can still access it, I'm sure whomever is in possession of it now would allow you to get to it and scope it out thoroughly to see how it was plumbed and even take pictures of all that.  That would be an immense help for you and give you a huge head start, instead of starting from scratch.  Is that a possibility?

On 1/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, Miss Emma said:

Phillbo, yes I've got a water heater. I wish not use the tanked water. Want to pull water out of lake, heat through the engine...

I would think you would still need a water heater tank. My hot water heater is electric and off the engine. Unless your hot water run right though the block, but that would not give it much time to heat up. Maybe thats all it would take? 

BUT......

You want to use lake water but heat off the engine. Now your hot water tank should already be setup to heat up from electric and the engine  I think this would be simple, but I would use tap water not lake. You just don't know what you are going to suck up off the lake. 

First off, I would add sea-cock to pick up the lake water. Than tap into the system with valves or a 3-way valve to use sea water or tank water to go into the pump and hot water heater. Basically, your done! Now you could add other valves to limit where the lake water goes and filters. My fear would be to clog the screens at any sink and sand would ruin the pump . I would leave the engine cooling system alone. But thats me...   

On 1/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, Miss Emma said: