1993 2850 SX Faded dash panel

Hi Guys.  After send the back seat for the upholsterer I have a new issue: The dash of the boa is faded and cn't see what each switch is for; Is there any owner of the same boat that could send me a photo of the dash? and also, any ideas on " How to make it nice again" ?

As always " Thanks in advance"

4 hours ago, cadeco said:

Hi Guys.  After send the back seat for the upholsterer I have a new issue: The dash of the boa is faded and cn't see what each switch is for; Is there any owner of the same boat that could send me a photo of the dash? and also, any ideas on " How to make it nice again" ?

As always " Thanks in advance"

The only members I know that would have boats "somewhat" close to the year as your 1993 but probably newer are @Denny and @SST.  But even so, I think theirs are a bit newer and less LOA IIRC.  Also theirs are single engine and not twins which looks like your 2850 is a twin engine boat?  But both of those fellas' boats are kept in mint condition, so hopefully when they get these tags, they'll respond to you and possibly help, or not.  Maybe someone else would come out of the blue.

Did you try Googling it or the brochure?  I just punched in 1993 Chaparral 2850 SSX and this one popped up on IBoats.  Does this look similar to yours?  Does yours have twins like this one?  28ft boat with twins must move really nicely!  On second thought, looking more closely at this pic and how the helm is a grey color, it might've been modified at some point and a completely new helm installed?

https://boats-from-usa.com/chaparral/chaparral-2850sx-56444

chaparral-2850sx-621930.jpg

7 hours ago, Hatem said:

The only members I know that would have boats "somewhat" close to the year as your 1993 but probably newer are @Denny and @SST.  But even so, I think theirs are a bit newer and less LOA IIRC.  Also theirs are single engine and not twins which looks like your 2850 is a twin engine boat?  But both of those fellas' boats are kept in mint condition, so hopefully when they get these tags, they'll respond to you and possibly help, or not.  Maybe someone else would come out of the blue.

Did you try Googling it or the brochure?  I just punched in 1993 Chaparral 2850 SSX and this one popped up on IBoats.  Does this look similar to yours?  Does yours have twins like this one?  28ft boat with twins must move really nicely!  On second thought, looking more closely at this pic and how the helm is a grey color, it might've been modified at some point and a completely new helm installed?

https://boats-from-usa.com/chaparral/chaparral-2850sx-56444

chaparral-2850sx-621930.jpg

Sorry, that is nothing like ours.  Denny.

Hi Hatem. Thanks for the reply. Denny already said that it's not like his, but, it is exactly like mine. My helm is also grey, but, the lines and information on the switches have been erased by the sun ( last owner  did not cover it).  I hope there will be someone that can give me that photo  I'm looking for.  Yes the 2 motor should work well, and shall make it a bit fast. Again, Thanks.

13 minutes ago, cadeco said:

Hi Denny., I wish yours were like mine. would help a lot.

I know it is a hassle, but if you turn on switches one at a time to see what they do you can mark them down on a piece of paper that has a diagram of your dash panel and then have little plastic tags made. Denny.

image.jpeg.d3d190c7d9ee816855f01d8ffff18c22.jpeg

1 hour ago, cadeco said:

The "turning the switches one at a time" is/was thinking to do if not would show up, but the plastic tags is definitely a very good idea, if no photos that is what I will do.!!!!!

Thanks for the idea!

Does this look like yours?

1993 Chaparral 2850 SX - #60

That's the exact copy of my panel. Thank you very, very much!, now since we are at the photo and my dash is faded I will ask: The gauge w/ rectangle face next to the fuel gauge is for what ? and if mine is broken where can I get replacement?

Sorry for asking many questions but this is what happens when you are a newbie.

Again, Thanks

13 hours ago, Denny said:

Sorry, that is nothing like ours.  Denny.

His boat has the same radar arch as yours, though.  Interesting that from 1985 to 1993 and possibly longer, they kept using the same style arch which lean backwards instead of the newer style which leans forward. I like the back-leaning ones like yours a lot.  I think they look cooler and make the boat look faster also.

12 hours ago, cadeco said:

Hi Hatem. Thanks for the reply. Denny already said that it's not like his, but, it is exactly like mine. My helm is also grey, but, the lines and information on the switches have been erased by the sun ( last owner  did not cover it).  I hope there will be someone that can give me that photo  I'm looking for.  Yes the 2 motor should work well, and shall make it a bit fast. Again, Thanks.

No problem, happy to help the best I can.  It also helps me learn more about the history and styles of these boats.

10 hours ago, Denny said:

1993 Chaparral 2850 SX - #60

Doesn't get any better than that! lol.  Now he knows exactly what function each switch has and can even paint them in the way they were.  Too bad they didn't have the writing indented into the surface.  That way he can paint them with that special, white paint and wipe off the excess to leave the paint inside the indentations.  I saw a documentary on these guys who restore classic tanks from WWII and that's exactly how they did it on a lot of the switches inside the tank.

1 hour ago, cadeco said:

That's the exact copy of my panel. Thank you very, very much!, now since we are at the photo and my dash is faded I will ask: The gauge w/ rectangle face next to the fuel gauge is for what ? and if mine is broken where can I get replacement?

Again, Thanks

Don't worry about it and ask as many questions as you wish.  That's pretty much what this forum is for more than anything else.

I'm guessing that square panel is some type of digital readout, similar to our smartcraft display that will give you digital readouts for several items such as engine temperature, fuel flow, engine hours and several other functions as well as an alarm indicator.  So if you run low on fuel, it will blink and alarm and notify you as well as if you reach a certain overheating temperature, it will do the same thing.  I'm guessing it's working fine and you should find out once you turn the boat on. 

Were you instructed on how to turn the ignition on correctly by the previous owner or whomever you bought the boat from?  Which engine to start first or if it doesn't matter and how to turn the keys?  For our newer boats, we have to turn the key halfway while the alarm beeps once for a second or two and stops (the stopping indicates that all is good and you can proceed starting the engine) but that time also gives the fuel pump a chance to prime prior to starting.  Usually you can hear the pump priming and then stopping.  So it's an important process to know and understand before starting and you have twins, so you might have to do that on both.  Just be sure you fully understand the ignition & starting procedure, as well as having the dual throttle in neutral or whatever position it indicates for starting.  Did you get any kind of brochure at all with the boat?

Well , I got the following: Owner's Manual, 1993 brochure( showing all models)/a GUEST model 2610, 10 amp battery charger manual/  Norcold TEK II dual voltage refrigerator owner's guide/  Mercruiser Alpha One models  operation and maintenance manual/, Mercruiser Service Manual Number 17 books 1 and 2/and , and  Mercruiser Service manual number 14 Alpha One Generation II.t hose are the  books that I got.

Haten, my boat does not have the arch. I  guess the arch was optional and the owner ( first owner) just let it pass. I, myself prefer it w/out the arch, after I bought I looked to see if there was any sign of an arch being removed, not any sign ( holes ,stains....)

On 1/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, cadeco said:

Well , I got the following: Owner's Manual, 1993 brochure( showing all models)/a GUEST model 2610, 10 amp battery charger manual/  Norcold TEK II dual voltage refrigerator owner's guide/  Mercruiser Alpha One models  operation and maintenance manual/, Mercruiser Service Manual Number 17 books 1 and 2/and , and  Mercruiser Service manual number 14 Alpha One Generation II.t hose are the  books that I got.

That's pretty good!  At least that takes care of helping you with the engines and drives.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:12 AM, cadeco said:

Haten, my boat does not have the arch. I  guess the arch was optional and the owner ( first owner) just let it pass. I, myself prefer it w/out the arch, after I bought I looked to see if there was any sign of an arch being removed, not any sign ( holes ,stains....)

No I knew you didn't have it on yours.  My comment was just that your model did come with the same type of arch that Denny has on this 1985 235 XLC, that's all.  You can always add one on if you want. 

chaparral-2850-sx-1993-for-sale-hamilton

7153758_0_310720190434_1.jpg?t=1564544211000

I think those are available at several places and the installation is pretty easy.  Do you have a bimini set up for shade or nothing came with the boat?  With the arch you can add a all sorts of things like Denny did with a complete enclosure/camper off the back of it and on the front as well, sealing it very nicely.  Great-looking boat.  Is this your first boat? 

No, it's not my first one, but I could also say" yes it is" because my first on e was a Bayliner and lasted just a couple of months; then, I bought a Seacraft center counsel to rebuilt, this one is going to be painted ( the top side only) next week. I had the deck replaced since there were a couple of soft spots, the transom has been closed and I had a bracket made for it. I decide to get the Chaparral because  we have two grandsons ( the oldest is 3 1/2 years old) and we got to the conclusion that we would need a cabin in case the kids would come. I liked the lines of the Chap and looked at some reviews ( good reviews by the way) and got this one. I wanted something smaller ( 24/25 feet , but I'm happy, a bit of work and money in but, does make sense, it will be on the trailer. About the Seacraft, I do not have any idea what I will do after it be done.m That's my story.

PS: You probably have noticed  " I'm a real newbie on the boat thing.

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

That's pretty good!  At least that takes care of helping you with the engines and drives.

No I knew you didn't have it on yours.  My comment was just that your model did come with the same type of arch that Denny has on this 1985 235 XLC, that's all.  You can always add one on if you want. 

chaparral-2850-sx-1993-for-sale-hamilton

7153758_0_310720190434_1.jpg?t=1564544211000

I think those are available at several places and the installation is pretty easy.  Do you have a bimini set up for shade or nothing came with the boat?  With the arch you can add a all sorts of things like Denny did with a complete enclosure/camper off the back of it and on the front as well, sealing it very nicely.  Great-looking boat.  Is this your first boat? 

1987 285, I think on the right boat they add character. 

I'm not into the new go fast boats with their tricked up paint jobs.

But when I see and hear the olds ones, they send a chill down my spine, now they had character, with or without an arch.       

They use to say why do go fast boats have radar arches, don't have radar on them.

It's all about the look.:)  Denny.

This is the boat that the arch on my boat came from.

Needless to say there was a lot of retro fitting to be done.

IMG_1219.jpg

image.jpeg

On 1/22/2020 at 7:25 AM, cadeco said:

Again, Thanks

You might see if you can have some little stick on vinyl decals made.

Someone out there has got to make them.  Denny.

http://www.smalllettering.com/