Sign in to follow this  
Toddavid

2020 NY Boat Show

Hit the NY show again today. We typically go on a Friday to avoid the crowds (we even take a boat to the show, ferry across the Hudson).

Boy were there no crowds this year. Opened at noon instead of 10am, and by 5 when we left, it was basically as empty as when we arrived at noon. Usually the crush starts late in the afternoon. Wonder if that is an economic indicator.

Saw Chap’s infinity step in person, looks solid. Opens and closes quickly.

Also saw this craziness at the Cobalt booth. Built in water mat roller. Electrically controlled with built in inflator. So you don’t look unclassy hauling around your water toys.

4infIMQ.jpg

QObszE3.jpg

Heading up there in a little over an hour. My  friend Mike in Milltown has a ticket with my name on it and is home for the weekend, as he's been working in Alberta at 40 below. Not for me. I told him, "Fine, I'll go but dinner is on you as I cannot trust myself to bring my check book or credit card.  Daughter and God Daughter are in Hoboken, so that's two more mouths to feed. Poor Mike.  W

We went to the Chicago Boat show two weekends ago and I thought the turnout was really good.  We had an ice/snow storm forecasted and it didn’t slow down attendance from the past few years that I can remember. The ice/snow ended up being way less than what was forecast but still that usually keeps people from coming out just in case.

Also, I saw that inflatable mat on the new Cobalt A29.  Pretty cool how it stores and deploys but it’s an $8000 option :wacko:.  Overall that new A29 was the best “new” design I saw.  Starting to put some larger boat options in smaller boats like the impressive huge hardtop option for a 29’ boat. 

The new infinity step from Chap was the coolest new feature I saw actually.  Very well designed and I like the fact that the entire swim platform is a few inches deeper if you choose it as well, it’s not just a step built into the current platform. 
If I was in the market for a new boat it would be a must have for my family. 

What a 82 year old has seen is now new again .  No more flapping canvass snaps  & zippers.  BBUUTT   You do have to plan to go under tidal bridges at low tide.   NO dockside canvass to put on & off is the best part all season.

Enjoy the hard tops.  Love the A C  & heating  abilities.   What bugs & mosquitoes ?  :mandancing:

On 1/24/2020 at 10:59 PM, Toddavid said:

Hit the NY show again today. We typically go on a Friday to avoid the crowds (we even take a boat to the show, ferry across the Hudson).

Boy were there no crowds this year. Opened at noon instead of 10am, and by 5 when we left, it was basically as empty as when we arrived at noon. Usually the crush starts late in the afternoon. Wonder if that is an economic indicator.

Saw Chap’s infinity step in person, looks solid. Opens and closes quickly.

Also saw this craziness at the Cobalt booth. Built in water mat roller. Electrically controlled with built in inflator. So you don’t look unclassy hauling around your water toys.

4infIMQ.jpg

QObszE3.jpg

that is a very good idea - the mats are great fun and a place to store as well.  certainly need a big boat slip to air that out as i see alot of mildew forming on that.  great roller idea to get the air out too.  $8k option is steep, although what isn't these days, pricing out options on new cars are not much different.  looks like that A29 is listed for $279,545 if reading correctly.  nearly 10k a foot - assume that is without a trailer as well

Pouring rain on Saturday, so show remained uncrowded and we found street parking 2 blocks away after searching full garages for over a half hour. The lot across the street was getting $65 for the day. I hate NYC. I felt both Chap and Robalo were well represented and it seemed their sales staff were very engaged and busy at their respective desks, pen in hand.  I'm looking toward a center console, and as in the past the Southport showed the best by fay, but were about 60k more than average for a 27' boat. Cobia again caught my eye, and I'm still leaning toward the 280 CC but am being talked out of twin 250's. Seems like the Yamaha's need to be run hard and the dealers favor twin 200's/V4 on that boat. I thought the single 425-V8 direct injected would be a good choice but both performance and economy numbers just are not there. Electronic power steering on the 425 is effortless, and at RPM's below 2,500, exhaust is diverted to above the cavitation plate which provides up to 135% more reverse thrust than a comparable 300 with typical thru prop hub exhaust. As far as the twin 250/6 cylinder offerings on the 280, Cobia says they are fast, thirsty (about 2.2 MPG at 3,500) and if you do a lot of slow speed operation, they raise crankcase levels with un-burned fuel. Never a good thing. They call it OILING, and actually leave the crankcase a half quart short on a normal service so as it overfills, their customers don't panic. Did not like to hear that and I had the same comment from a regional Chap deal a few weeks ago. The two cycle direct injected Evinrude was on display but not many builders are mounting them. Really noisy, and I'm told reverse is a myth with these motors but they are economical. Looks like Yanmar has cornered the small diesel market, and Cummings is cornering the 400 +/- HP offerings. Not a Cummings fan as they are really noisy and the new electronic fuel delivery system has had issues. Suzuki had their big 4 cycle outboard there with a dual prop set-up which is new for them. Yamaha tried that years ago, but dropped it but I think it may come back now that the torque numbers on the bigger 4 cycle outboards have improved. Boston Whaler's looked good from a distance, but are suffering from price creep as they continue in their attempt to carry Sea Ray.  Edgewater looked nice but I am aware of hull failures that are not being covered by the factory and I would put their quality in line with Sea Hunt. Everglades showed well, but I think I would still take a Key West or the Cobia over them for a number of reasons. Robalo looked good but I don't consider their boats under 30' to have a true inlet/offshore hull as it lacks the Carolina flair and the ones I've been on in a chop ride similar to our Chaps and on a choppy, windy day you are going to get wet. Really the only negative I found at the Cobia booth was their sales staff. They were totally engaged with each other sitting in the front of the boats, and you really had to force your way into the conversations to get a simple question answered. Perhaps that's why I did not see any of them with a pen and a contract in their hand.  I had hopped to see 7-Marine there with their LS based outboards, but at 80 grand each, I guess that's a very limited market. One thing for sure, the future seems to be outboard based. If you really like your IO and are happy with your boat, take care of it.      W

I skipped it for the 1st time in 15 years.  Just nothing that I really wanted to look at this year.  Not worth the cost of a day trip to NYC!

1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I skipped it for the 1st time in 15 years.  Just nothing that I really wanted to look at this year.  Not worth the cost of a day trip to NYC!

Not my favorite place either. 3 hours up, and 3 hours back. You can look at the shipping weights and learn a lot. The Southports and Blackfin's are all over 9,600# in my preferred size. Key West and Cobia's are around 6,900#, and the Tidewater, Scout, and Sea Hunt's are all under 5,300#.   The rough water ride in the Southport is phenomenal, but you better hang enough power off of the thing if you wish to move. Formula showed really well but if they stack any more engines across the back of their boats, they will need to start stacking transoms. W

8 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Not my favorite place either. 3 hours up, and 3 hours back. You can look at the shipping weights and learn a lot. The Southports and Blackfin's are all over 9,600# in my preferred size. Key West and Cobia's are around 6,900#, and the Tidewater, Scout, and Sea Hunt's are all under 5,300#.   The rough water ride in the Southport is phenomenal, but you better hang enough power off of the thing if you wish to move. Formula showed really well but if they stack any more engines across the back of their boats, they will need to start stacking transoms. W

Formulas are so over the top on price that I don't even look anymore.  I was considering a 270 BR 2 years ago to upgrade from my Chap but for well over 200 Gs it aint worth it!! 

5 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Formulas are so over the top on price that I don't even look anymore.  I was considering a 270 BR 2 years ago to upgrade from my Chap but for well over 200 Gs it aint worth it!! 

Same is true for the 27' Blackfin's and Southports. All well over 225. About 160 will get you in a loaded Cobia with Twin 200's. They all what to push the joystick stuff too, but for 32 grand I'll buy something new to pull it with or a few more months of Florida ICW rental to enjoys it.  W

34 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Agreed, definitely not.  But man are they amazing boats.  Their crossovers are just out of this world IMO.  The only thing I never liked on them is their hardtops.  Unlike Chaparral, they never really got the look right like the ones on the Signatures and 307ssx/327+ssx.  Other than that, they're just amazing boats from bow to stern. 

The FX series is also outstanding!  This is the FX/8 back in 2015.  Check out the racing helm, right up your alley.

umM01Et.jpg

vb37Mh5.jpg

Yawzah!  Layout & colors are just perfect.

X1V5CeY.jpg

And VP pods on this bad boy, too!  I got the cabin AND rear berth pics somewhere but can't find them ATM.  But look at the ergonomics of that helm.  Doesn't get any more perfect than that.

0gAD6cy.jpg

Show price under $300K?

1Czjymz.jpg

Wife and I kept coming back to the Sea Ray SLX 400, just like we did last year. They’ve executed the cross over concept better than anyone.

For $600k, I guess they better have.

$  15,000 per foot.   Lets see who can find the easy buyers at that price per foot.

Columbians with cash ?

I get very nasty when a dealer wants perfect money. And gives me a crappy new boat with a load of  defects. I am also a used boat boat buyer the last 40 ?  years .