Sign in to follow this  
Hatem

Opinions on paddle boards?

Thinking of getting a paddle board to use and get onto remote islands and beaches and just exercising in general.  Never been on one and I know I'll be falling on my asss into the water many times before I get used to it, but I'm willing to go through the learning process since it does appeal to me (once I've gotten the hang of it, of course) and just wondering if anyone has any experience in that activity that and can recommend a decent, starting paddle board or particular brand and what to look for?

Any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

I would recommend the inflatable ones.  i own 2 - had them for 5 years and never an issue.  they deflate into backpacks and stow easily in the boat.  the hard ones are 100% better for speed but cost more and you have to store away a 10-12' board.  i inflate mine to between 13-14 psi and they hold my 225 lb frame easily.  wife and i paddle around the lake for exercise - great for balance and your lower body gets a workout from balancing.  

if you have a permanent place to store away along w/ a kayak, get the hard board.  if you plan on taking it on your boat and exploring from there, get the inflatable

My buddy just bought one this year. And while I cannot recommend a specific brand, I can say that his being an inflatable model is very nice for stowage on the boat. The board, pump and paddle all roll up into a sleeping bag size bag for easy storage.

we also have an inflatable one.  It packs into a back pack with its own pump.  Got it on amazon.  Works great and it's that hard to get used to.

Thanks, fellas.  Sounds like the inflatable ones are the way to go, especially if they can be stowed well compared to the hard boards.  I think Futzin has also mentioned those on another thread a while back.  The only problem is sharks will bite through those a lot easier and deflate them so you can't get back on them loool.  I definitely won't be trying any of this down in the Cape, where great whites are all over the place in the summer time.  Although I see a lot of people on them down there, I think it's crazy.  I'll have to get over that fear, for sure.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:38 PM, delaney said:

Image result for great lakes shark free

Did you just make that meme up?  lol, that's pretty good!  Yeah I know, Great Lakes are great, no doubt about it and it's on the bucket list to get out there some day before time is up or the hammer falls.  I forget who it was, but I believe it was @yogi799 who posted a bunch of amazing, underwater pics of him and his son swimming (I think it was in one of the GLs) near the boat in about 20ft of water and the bottom was just nothing but white, egg-like rocks about 6-8 inches long and the clarity was insane.  You could see the rocks as well as the outdrive and depth of field was actually pretty long.  Even all the great pics that Denny posts show how fantastic it is.

I don't mind the salt at all. Sharks, though, that's a whole other ballgame and after reading a bunch of stuff online the last few days about paddle-boarding, I think I'm going with the hard board! LOL!

Breaking: “Very aggressive” twelve-foot Tiger shark bites, deflates, stand-up paddle board then chases terrified pilot to shore!

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-3.00.53-PM.png

Chas Smith

By Chas Smith

2 months ago

Very scary.

Oh I hope you are not in Maui right now nor anywhere near for a “very aggressive” Tiger shark, measuring twelve-feet, has a taste for man in its mouth  but was left completely unsatisfied when trying to eat one.  (excuse me, say wuuut? lmao!) And what would you do if you were over two football fields in length away from the shoreline there on an inflatable stand-up paddle board?

Much suspension of disbelief already, I know, but then what if you felt the air going out of your vessel, turned around and saw a massive beast with its teeth stuck right in, inhaling compressed air and poor lifestyle choices?

Rest of the article here.

So after reading that one...and then looking at these pics while considering my inherent fear of sharks, I think I will feel much more comfortable on a hard board than an inflatable one.

Can you guys tell if this crazy freak is on an inflatable board?   

See the source image

Pics like these are pretty convincing!

See the source image

See the source image

Basking sharks are harmless, but their size is very intimidating, especially the adults that get up to 20ft.  This one isn't that big but still, looks like it made the dude get on his knees and possible say a prayer? :D 

See the source image 

Nice video to these two girls who paddled out in search of great whites looool.

Incredible video shows two bikini babes surrounded by five GREAT WHITE SHARKS as they bravely paddleboard off California beach

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1370071/incredible-video-shows-two-bikini-babes-surrounded-by-five-great-white-sharks-as-they-bravely-paddleboard-off-california-beach/

See the source image

This is the main problem, great whites which seem to be growing in numbers every summer due to our excessive number of seal population, making them an easy and abundant source of foot.  Plus I think with the change in global climates (whether you believe in climate change or not, that's not the issue because the fact is that) the water has been getting a bit warmer only by a few degrees which might be just enough for the sharks to tolerate it and get used to it.  And after that poor fella who was boogie-boarding in Cape Cod last year and got bit in half only a few weeks after the doctor went for a swim a few miles north of the same spot and was severely injured when a GW mistook him for a seal, I'm definitely thinking hard board!  At least you have a greater chance of being able to get back on it, instead of watching it deflate and you got nothing! 

Good example right here, and judging by the size of that bite radius, that was a pretty good-size fish.

shark-sighting-marconi-beach.jpg

These don't look very comforting.

See the source image

See the source image

Neither does this.

See the source image

Paddle board shark fishing, yeah that's right up my alley............not!

See the source image

dolphin jumping next to standup paddlers

girl paddleboarding over a shark

See the source image

I got that black thing under my sunpad so I wouldn't have to paddle.......

19 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I got that black thing under my sunpad so I wouldn't have to paddle.......

LOL, that's funny

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 2:29 PM, MonkeySeaII said:

Works great and it's that hard to get used to.

What do you mean by that?  So was it not that hard to get used to or it was hard to get use to?

You need to learn how to balance yourself and if that's really the only thing, it shouldn't be difficult for this young man! :D 

I never thought of the shark factor when suggesting an inflatable. After seeing some of those pics, maybe an inflatable is not such a good idea after all. Guess I`m stuck in a freshwater frame of mind.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

What do you mean by that?  So was it not that hard to get used to or it was hard to get use to?

You need to learn how to balance yourself and if that's really the only thing, it shouldn't be difficult for this young man! :D 

LOL, NOT that hard to get used to:)  I got my 50 yr. old @$$ going across the lake no problem.  Actually, I like to stay on my knees and paddle hard.  Gives me a good upper body workout

BTW, check out the Active Thunder 29' "Defiant".  Perfect balance of go fast boat with tons of space:)  Could be my next ride!

1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

I never thought of the shark factor when suggesting an inflatable. After seeing some of those pics, maybe an inflatable is not such a good idea after all. Guess I`m stuck in a freshwater frame of mind.

Nothing wrong with that, my friend.  Ultimately, no matter the advice, I always say it's up to the person asking to make the final decision and the responsibility and onus is on them and only them to research everything. 

The interesting thing is that the activity's popularity is growing with every season, even out here on the ocean.  I'm sure it's the same way in all harbors and areas in the country and if you think about it, even during the super hot days of summer, the water is still freezing cold up here in the northeast but it doesn't discourage people.  I have to slow down all the time I run into paddle boarders and kayakers because I just don't want to wake them.  Even at 5mph in no-wake zones, the boat still produces a slow-moving wake that's enough to rattle them and I do it out of courtesy.  I'm sure when I'm out there and I get waked, it won't be fun. 

Speaking of sharks, the great white is mostly active on the east side of the Cape peninsula and occasionally one that's tagged with a transmitter will be spotted on the west side and even closer to Boston.  Then you have the ones that aren't tagged and occasionally you'll get a sighting of one close by on Sharktivity, and those are obviously the most concerning.  The other species like Makos and the more common ones like the Thresher probably don't come up and attack boards that they confuse for seals.  But they're around, for sure.  So it is certainly a legitimate concern.  Who knows how close they come into harbors and shorelines and beaches and just never get noticed?  And that's mostly where all these kayakers and paddle-boarders are.

I'm always checking the App to see if there's any sightings close by.  This is a typical summer day. Blue ones are tagged, great whites officially sighted and orange ones I believe are reported sightings.   

See the source image

14 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

LOL, NOT that hard to get used to:)  I got my 50 yr. old @$$ going across the lake no problem.  Actually, I like to stay on my knees and paddle hard.  Gives me a good upper body workout

Gonna be 54 in 7 days! :D  Still like to think and feel young, what the heck, right?

14 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

BTW, check out the Active Thunder 29' "Defiant".  Perfect balance of go fast boat with tons of space:)  Could be my next ride!

I will.  I figured that day will come soon.  When I see the dude with that huge Donzi, I'll get him to gimme a closer look and take some pics.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Nothing wrong with that, my friend.  Ultimately, no matter the advice, I always say it's up to the person asking to make the final decision and the responsibility and onus is on them and only them to research everything. 

The interesting thing is that the activity's popularity is growing with every season, even out here on the ocean.  I'm sure it's the same way in all harbors and areas in the country and if you think about it, even during the super hot days of summer, the water is still freezing cold up here in the northeast but it doesn't discourage people.  I have to slow down all the time I run into paddle boarders and kayakers because I just don't want to wake them.  Even at 5mph in no-wake zones, the boat still produces a slow-moving wake that's enough to rattle them and I do it out of courtesy.  I'm sure when I'm out there and I get waked, it won't be fun. 

Speaking of sharks, the great white is mostly active on the east side of the Cape peninsula and occasionally one that's tagged with a transmitter will be spotted on the west side and even closer to Boston.  Then you have the ones that aren't tagged and occasionally you'll get a sighting of one close by on Sharktivity, and those are obviously the most concerning.  The other species like Makos and the more common ones like the Thresher probably don't come up and attack boards that they confuse for seals.  But they're around, for sure.  So it is certainly a legitimate concern.  Who knows how close they come into harbors and shorelines and beaches and just never get noticed?  And that's mostly where all these kayakers and paddle-boarders are.

I'm always checking the App to see if there's any sightings close by.  This is a typical summer day. Blue ones are tagged, great whites officially sighted and orange ones I believe are reported sightings.   

See the source image

Gonna be 54 in 7 days! :D  Still like to think and feel young, what the heck, right?

I will.  I figured that day will come soon.  When I see the dude with that huge Donzi, I'll get him to gimme a closer look and take some pics.

well, not sure the Admiral will will allow it!!

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:28 PM, MonkeySeaII said:

well, not sure the Admiral will will allow it!!

Interesting looking boat.  Do they all come with outboards or just this new 2020 model?

1-ACTIVE-THUNDER-1116-112-001.jpg

A little different how it doesn't have a windscreen and just those unique, tapered platforms in front of the helm to the bow seats.

1-ACTIVE-THUNDER-1116-423C-001.jpg

Definitely unique cockpit area seating.  I don't know, bro, TBH with you, I think your 256 is much sweeter and practical than this thing and FAST to boot.  Might not be as fast as this thing, but what are we talking about for a difference in MPH to give up all that spaciousness, swim platform, radar arch with bimini and a full head instead of a porta potty in the Chap vs this thing with the twin Merc 300s.  Couldn't find the top speed on it.

1-ACTIVE-THUNDER-1116-564-001.jpg

For all the overconfident freshwater  boaters & swimmers.

1 shark can, has and does  live comfortably in fresh waters for thousands of years with little attacks.  

You stray into a area it wants to feed in ?   DINNER TIME.   

Bull Sharks are never to be bullied at anytime by any person or animal.   The presence of those Asian Jumping Carp in the  Misissippi River and  Great Lakes ?  Yummie Yummie.   Bull Sharks have lived in the Mississippi River forever.  As long as their preferred supply of fish holds up & you do not go & stay in their feeding area ?  You should be as safe as always.

Enjoy our fresh waters.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:10 PM, Hatem said:

Interesting looking boat.  Do they all come with outboards or just this new 2020 model?

1-ACTIVE-THUNDER-1116-112-001.jpg

A little different how it doesn't have a windscreen and just those unique, tapered platforms in front of the helm to the bow seats.

1-ACTIVE-THUNDER-1116-423C-001.jpg

Definitely unique cockpit area seating.  I don't know, bro, TBH with you, I think your 256 is much sweeter and practical than this thing and FAST to boot.  Might not be as fast as this thing, but what are we talking about for a difference in MPH to give up all that spaciousness, swim platform, radar arch with bimini and a full head instead of a porta potty in the Chap vs this thing with the twin Merc 300s.  Couldn't find the top speed on it.

1-ACTIVE-THUNDER-1116-564-001.jpg

I think I read that it runs in the 80s

On 2/3/2020 at 8:23 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

I think I read that it runs in the 80s

LOL!  That's pretty crazy fast.  I know you'd be in seventh heaven loool, but aside from the cost associated aspect, does the Missus enjoy the high speed like that?  I always think that most Admirals prefer comfort and amenities more so than speed, but if that thing had a cuddy or a cabin, maybe it would be an easier sell?  Or not?  Especially with the young bambinos but they're probably growing fast anyway so it might not matter.  

I think that yellow Donzi I showed you before must have quite the cabin with such a huge front end and bow.  But probably super pricey.  Imagine being in the cabin laying on the bed while the boat is going 90? :haha-7383: I'm guessing there's probably a cutoff speed setting (an unwritten rule, so to speak) and depending on the boat where the cabin must be vacated for safety reasons. 

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

LOL!  That's pretty crazy fast.  I know you'd be in seventh heaven loool, but aside from the cost associated aspect, does the Missus enjoy the high speed like that?  I always think that most Admirals prefer comfort and amenities more so than speed, but if that thing had a cuddy or a cabin, maybe it would be an easier sell?  Or not?  Especially with the young bambinos but they're probably growing fast anyway so it might not matter.  

I think that yellow Donzi I showed you before must have quite the cabin with such a huge front end and bow.  But probably super pricey.  Imagine being in the cabin laying on the bed while the boat is going 90? :haha-7383: I'm guessing there's probably a cutoff speed setting (an unwritten rule, so to speak) and depending on the boat where the cabin must be vacated for safety reasons. 

The Admiral gets uneasy when I drop the hammer on my 256!!!  LOL.  My Daughters are the same way!!  This is the reason why I need to have 2 boats!  1 family boat and 1 speed demon for me!!:mandancing:

22 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

The Admiral gets uneasy when I drop the hammer on my 256!!!  LOL.  My Daughters are the same way!!  This is the reason why I need to have 2 boats!  1 family boat and 1 speed demon for me!!:mandancing:

Hahaha.  Hey, every man has his needs! :D. That would be quite something, having two boats, one of which is a speed demon (which would be a great name for it!) and the other a family boat that's not exactly a slow poke either LOL.

I'm gonna start looking around for paddle boards, as well as a secure and unobstructed way of carrying it on the 276.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, MonkeySeaII said:

Having (2) boats is still cheaper than having (2) wives 

17 hours ago, delaney said:

Having (2) boats is still cheaper than having (2) wives 

True, but the upkeep is a lot of work for both.

2 hours ago, mpm330 said:

one is a labor of love, the other is a labor of necessity - i will let you decide which is which:scratchchin:

9 hours ago, mpm330 said:

Technically, religiously and therefore lawfully, I'm allowed to have up to 4 wives looool.  Can you imagine that headache? :D 

How's the neck & discs feeling, BTW?