drewm3i

1995 Chaparral 2550 SX Refit and Modifications Thread

I have learned my lesson and will never blaspheme the Holy Chaparral again! :D

Big old boats are nothing but problems as I learned with my rotten 1998 Sea Ray 270 and 1987 Ericson 38 sailboats, both of which have been sold now. Avery and I, now married, have relocated to Annapolis, MD where I am attending graduate school. Going to have a lot of free time this summer and we need to find another Chap!

Looking for something 23'-25', so probably a 2335 ss again if we can find one. Dont want to break the bank as cheap boats are just as fun LOL! Would also consider a 235 ssi or 265 ssi if the price was right. 

Just wanted to drop in and say hello and wondering if all of the old crew is still here? If you have any leads, please pass them along!

4 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Welcome back, Drew.  Good luck in your search, and your studies!

+1. Not sure how much longer, river hasn't been cooperating with the boating lifestyle the past few years. I hit the big six zero this year, so we may switch to RVing.

Welcome back.  I never did finish adding pics of my stringer replacement on iBoats.  Got a new computer and not sure I have all the pictures anymore.  Your rebuild was inspirational.  The 2335 is a nice boat.  Its sort of what we were looking for until we realized we could go bigger.  Good luck.

8 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

+1. Not sure how much longer, river hasn't been cooperating with the boating lifestyle the past few years. I hit the big six zero this year, so we may switch to RVing.

You said that years ago!!! :D:pirate:

2 minutes ago, Roady68 said:

Welcome back.  I never did finish adding pics of my stringer replacement on iBoats.  Got a new computer and not sure I have all the pictures anymore.  Your rebuild was inspirational.  The 2335 is a nice boat.  Its sort of what we were looking for until we realized we could go bigger.  Good luck.

Hey Pal, how did that repair go? Has it held up? I dont want to go bigger anymore LOL! I realized that small boats are so much more fun to operate and zip around on.

17 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Welcome back, Drew.  Good luck in your search, and your studies!

Thanks Futz, kudos to you for sticking to that awesome black 220 ssi! Great boat and I imagine paid for in full by now with tons of life left! New boat prices have gotten insane!!!

2 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

You said that years ago!!! :D:pirate:

I did? Do you have a link? Memory is also fading.....  :huh:  :D

1 minute ago, tomnjo said:

I did? Do you have a link? Memory is also fading.....  :huh:  :D

I think it was a text or PM! You said it had to do with you or your wife's skin being sensitive to sun exposure also I remember. I tried convincing you to add a bigger bimini :D.

@Roady68

The Sea Ray rebuild almost killed me and to be honest sucked the joy out of boating. It did however provide fodder to launch a freelance boat writing career of sorts, as I did a piece about it and the boats before it, for Practical Boat Owner in the UK, which led to more boating pieces with them and other publications. 

Though we never used that boat, I was able to see it go with a clean conscience. I will post the article here when I get some spare time.

44 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

The Sea Ray rebuild almost killed me and to be honest sucked the joy out of boating

I hated that you had to go through that; you searched hard for a boat to replace your 2335 that you put so much into (and got out of).

53 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Thanks Futz, kudos to you for sticking to that awesome black 220 ssi! Great boat and I imagine paid for in full by now with tons of life left! New boat prices have gotten insane!!

Indeed so!  The 220 continues to look and perform great; I think we've topped 800 hrs on her now (I'm getting tomnjo memory!).  She now resides on a covered lift (with curtain) at our favorite marina.

1 hour ago, tomnjo said:

I wish you the best whatever happens with that.  We have thoroughly enjoyed our camper, though we don't travel with it.  We keep it near the lake.  As we say: We can't decide if our camping is cutting into our boating, or if our boating is cutting into our camping!  Have also started exploring the off-road trails nearby with ATV/UTV.  Several we could hit from the campground which made it easy.

To stay on topic, I look forward to seeing what Drew ends up with, and what he does to it!

22 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

I hated that you had to go through that; you searched hard for a boat to replace your 2335 that you put so much into (and got out of).

Indeed so!  The 220 continues to look and perform great; I think we've topped 800 hrs on her now (I'm getting tomnjo memory!).  She now resides on a covered lift (with curtain) at our favorite marina.

I am weary to say it, but i want the next boat to last a long time no matter how old or new lol!

Glad you have enjoyed your 220 to such a great degree! It is a nice looking bowrider, even if I prefer the older sharper lines which are now back in style. The ESP looks sweet!

6 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

To stay on topic, I look forward to seeing what Drew ends up with, and what he does to it!

No need to stay on topic! I am enjoying the camaderie of the old guard. :D

And yes, whatever boat I get I am sure there will be some mods! Really just looking for something not rotten or sunbeaten...most likely a Chap as I am 2 for 2. Probably a cuddy too.

7 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

I wish you the best whatever happens with that.  We have thoroughly enjoyed our camper, though we don't travel with it.  We keep it near the lake.  As we say: We can't decide if our camping is cutting into our boating, or if our boating is cutting into our camping!  Have also started exploring the off-road trails nearby with ATV/UTV.  Several we could hit from the campground which made it easy.

He may shock us and get something that he does nothing to.....  Yeah, I don't think so.   :D

5 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

He may shock us and get something that he does nothing to.....  Yeah, I don't think so.   :D

Even if its just maintenance, restoring gelcoat, or adding teak flooring, there will be work to do! :D

3 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Just wanted to drop in and say hello and wondering if all of the old crew is still here? If you have any leads, please pass them along!

Hoffmaster's has a 2004 215SSI - http://www.hoffmasters.com/ListingPDFS/Chap-2004-215-SSi.pdf

Located in Northern Virginia, Hoffmaster's is Chaparral Dealer, you may be able to work a deal on a dealer warranty or have parts replaced as a condition of the deal.

Welcome back!

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

I want to see another AC upgrade!

Shorepower or air conditioning?

air conditioning, of course!  Then again, less need of it in MD than FL though . . . 

5 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

air conditioning, of course!  Then again, less need of it in MD than FL though . . . 

Cant have one ac without the other though! 

For sure...the wife and I were saying we could just pick and choose our nights now.

19 hours ago, drewm3i said:

I'll keep an eye out, buddy.  I might have to charge a delivery fee this time.  :D 

Last season this guy showed up at our marina towards the last 3rd of the season and was 2 slips downs from us  and IIRC, was selling his 2004 Signature 250 I think it was.  Not sure if he'll still be around this season.  But is this something that would interest you, or not?  It looked in pretty good shape and had a VP 8.1.

mAeovhi.jpg

8Mq3Ydi.jpg

19 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I hit the big six zero this year, so we may switch to RVing.

You're kidding!?  You don't look a day over 50, ma man.  That's amazing.  I'll be 54 tomorrow lol.  Dang man, time is flying by like a !@#$%^&@#$%!

Welcome back! 
I am still here, but we don’t boat as much as in the past. Kids are grown and moved out, and we spent about 60 nights in our new Airstream last year (but 30 nights were at the lake!). Retirement is on the near horizon. Starting to think about selling the 220SSi...

brick