Sign in to follow this  
Black Pearl

Volvo Penta Fuel Pump

Has anybody experienced this:  I have a 8,1 gi.  The other day I go to start the boat and a whining noice (sounded like the fuel pump) I know the sound because I had to replace this about 5 years ago.  But was at idle and once throttle was up it just shut down.  Started it up and same whining noice and at gave it some throttle and you can tell it was starving for fuel.  service department looked at it today and he couldn’t find a thing wrong.  fuel pressure is normal and no whining noice.  Drove boat for 30 minutes and no issues.  Is it possible,  this pump is going bad and then correct itself?  Mechanic is just guessing (maybe something got into the fuel causing the pump to over work causing the noise). He said he hears no whining).  I figured what’s the whining starts its bad period.  I hate to buy a plump at 2K and that not be it.  

Thanks

Black Pearl

Have you ever taken the entire fuel module apart and removed the black internal coating. That stuff can be the gift that keeps on pining, and it would seem a chunk got trapped in the fuel pressure regulator relief valve cavity for a time, dead heading and over-pressurizing the secondary fuel pump. Chances are it will happen again. W

2 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

Has anybody experienced this:  I have a 8,1 gi.  The other day I go to start the boat and a whining noice (sounded like the fuel pump) I know the sound because I had to replace this about 5 years ago.  But was at idle and once throttle was up it just shut down.  Started it up and same whining noice and at gave it some throttle and you can tell it was starving for fuel.  service department looked at it today and he couldn’t find a thing wrong.  fuel pressure is normal and no whining noice.  Drove boat for 30 minutes and no issues.  Is it possible,  this pump is going bad and then correct itself?  Mechanic is just guessing (maybe something got into the fuel causing the pump to over work causing the noise). He said he hears no whining).  I figured what’s the whining starts its bad period.  I hate to buy a plump at 2K and that not be it.  

Thanks

Black Pearl

I have the same engine on mine and thankfully nothing yet on that crazy expensive fuel pump, but I'm expecting it at some point but maybe not, only because I think they stopped painting the inside by 2010, not 100% sure but something I read reminds me of that. 

But, if you search YouTube for "fixing a Volvo Penta Fuel Pump," a couple of videos (that I've actually posted a few times for people with the same or similar problem) of a guy out of Florida who specializes in taking the entire fuel pump apart and not only cleaning the internal paint which causes most of these problems, but replaces a few parts with better ones and does it really cheap.  I think it's even under $100 that he does it.  He shows the entire process on the video so you can either do it yourself or send it to him and he does it and sends it back to you.  When I get back home later this evening, I'll find it and post it for you unless you find it before then.

Thanks,

I found the video!  Pretty interesting that he’s able to repair those.  I plan on spending sometime this weekend on the boat.  I am sure it will repeat itself and i would rather fix the problem sooner than later.  It seams that VP has plenty of issues with this.  Apparently, Carter is who makes the pumps and all they are doing is pointing fingers.  I thinks changed the part number 1/2 dozen times.  Each time the price goes up.  Thanks for the feedback.  

The internet is loaded with cheap, knock-off pumps but I've yet to find anyone that has had luck with them. What I do not know is if the subsequent failures were a result of a poor quality replacements, or the fact that the entire fuel system was not cleaned during installation. Merc had a similar issue with their cool fuel modules and the newer ones are not coated internally.  Now the industry has returned to aluminum fuel tanks and a fuel return line that keeps a slip stream of cool gasoline returning to the tank in constant circulation, similar to an automotive application. W

so i experienced the same thing and this is what happened.

the fuel pump is easy to bump while you are working on other items such as oil changes, etc.  i apparently bumped the electrical plug, it was still connected but i jarred it slightly loose - this caused the LP and HP sides to not work and when i went to full throttle I heard that high pitched whine.  at first - it didn't effect the performance but very soon after the plug vibrated further loose and the engine was starved for fuel.  By pure luck and frustration, i disconnected the pump to get a better look and while doing so i noticed it wasn't fully connected.  i cleaned the contacts and bam- no more whine and fully functional.  

from your description, you say it fixed itself.  i would suspect that contacts came loose - or at least rule that out as volvo fuel pumps are not cheap

If the noise returns and is not an easy fix, try re-furbishing the fuel cell yourself. I did mine and it is easy to do. Also as Wingnut stated, there are many "knock off" fuel cells being sold on ebay for as low as $200. You could go through several of them for the cost of one OEM one, might be worth a try.

Thanks for all the input!  Delaney - i will look for proper connection.  I had generator repair done that week and that’s When it occurred.  It was running fine prior to that.  It doesn't mean that the pump is ok, it could still be going bad.  That’s just an easy check.  I have owned the boat sine new (06) and i use nothing but Oem parts.  I was finally happy that i was able to get the Koehler running, of course it required replacing the catalytic converter.  

On 2/13/2020 at 7:17 PM, Black Pearl said:

Thanks,

I found the video!  Pretty interesting that he’s able to repair those.  I plan on spending sometime this weekend on the boat.  I am sure it will repeat itself and i would rather fix the problem sooner than later.  It seams that VP has plenty of issues with this.  Apparently, Carter is who makes the pumps and all they are doing is pointing fingers.  I thinks changed the part number 1/2 dozen times.  Each time the price goes up.  Thanks for the feedback.  

My two pump only had 160 hrs on them before they acted up. Another reason I am going to diesel. 

I’m a little late to reply to this post but if you are having ANY VolvoPenta fuel pump problems, contact Troy Brya in Michigan. Troy is the VP fuel pump guru. Great personal service and knows his stuff. He offers many different services from parts to preventative maintenance to full rebuilds. He can rebuild yours or core swap for a fully refurbished unit. You can reach Troy at: mancavemechanic@gmail.com

I do not know Troy personally. I had a fuel pump problem and in my research I found him. He rebuilt my fuel pump for my 8.1 engine for less than 1/3rd the price of a new OEM VP fuel pump assembly. I fully endorse his professional work and ethical standards.

I literally just went through this. I bought a replacement pump from Troy at Mancave Mechanic. I did a ton of research before doing so, and the bottom line is that Volvo (Carter) still manufactures the pump the same way, meaning they still paint the inside of the pump. Because of the ethanol content in fuel these days, I would expect an accelerated rate of failure on the factory replacement. The best price I found on a new one is $1,500.

I replaced my pump last week, and it runs great so far. Troy was great, and had great customer service. The only issue I had was the valve stem inside the fuel pressure testing valve was loose, so I dumped fuel. Grabbed a schrader valve tightener and took care of it.

Steve

41 minutes ago, Lysdexic said:

I literally just went through this. I bought a replacement pump from Troy at Mancave Mechanic. I did a ton of research before doing so, and the bottom line is that Volvo (Carter) still manufactures the pump the same way, meaning they still paint the inside of the pump. Because of the ethanol content in fuel these days, I would expect an accelerated rate of failure on the factory replacement. The best price I found on a new one is $1,500.

I replaced my pump last week, and it runs great so far. Troy was great, and had great customer service. The only issue I had was the valve stem inside the fuel pressure testing valve was loose, so I dumped fuel. Grabbed a schrader valve tightener and took care of it.

Steve

Brand now I picked mine up for $800 each for genuine Volvo pumps. WOW, $1,500 I would change your search engine. As far as I know they have stopped using paint in the pumps on the genuine Volvo pumps.  

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/849-99-genuine-volvo-fuel-pump-23306461-old-part-21608511-a-signature-is-required-for-delivery-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

I have two VP 5.0 gxi-e with 1700 hours on each. During a few years I checked 6-7 aftermarket VP fuel cells from different sellers. All were  garbage (worked 1-5 hours). In my case only works the next combination: aftermarket VP fuel cell ($120) with OEM high pressure fuel pump ($200-$300). On my engines it works for the last 400-500 hours. By the way, I replaced all existing connectors to Deutsch connectors.

Friend of mine has a volvo.  Pump whined intermittently for 2 years, but always ran fine and kept it on the small lake he lived on, except one trip a year to a big lake, so didn't do anything about it. Fast forward to past Labor Day weekend when we last minute took a trip to Bull Shoals,  big lake.  First day starts whining bad, then cutting out and backfiring.  Took it to a local guy that hooked up his gauges and from the readings and symptoms diagnosed  it as a fuel pump.  But he was a Merc shop, it was Saturday and no Volvo shops so my friend loads up and goes home.  Took to shop in St Louis a couple weeks later and pickup screen was covered with a slimy mess.  He thinks it was the remains of the fuel gauge float that he had to change out a couple years earlier that the ethanol had attacked.  Shop said it tested fine afterwards, but he hasn't had in the water yet to check.  Might be something else to check.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, Put-Plug-In said:

I’m a little late to reply to this post but if you are having ANY VolvoPenta fuel pump problems, contact Troy Brya in Michigan. Troy is the VP fuel pump guru. Great personal service and knows his stuff. He offers many different services from parts to preventative maintenance to full rebuilds. He can rebuild yours or core swap for a fully refurbished unit. You can reach Troy at: mancavemechanic@gmail.com

I do not know Troy personally. I had a fuel pump problem and in my research I found him. He rebuilt my fuel pump for my 8.1 engine for less than 1/3rd the price of a new OEM VP fuel pump assembly. I fully endorse his professional work and ethical standards.

Thanks for this. I watched his videos and even though I don’t have issues as of yet I might send mine to him during the off season for preventative maintenance. 

3 hours ago, Iggy said:

Brand now I picked mine up for $800 each for genuine Volvo pumps. WOW, $1,500 I would change your search engine. As far as I know they have stopped using paint in the pumps on the genuine Volvo pumps.  

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/849-99-genuine-volvo-fuel-pump-23306461-old-part-21608511-a-signature-is-required-for-delivery-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

The pump you reference is designed for the small block and non HO big blocks. I spoke to Carter and Volvo, and they have not changed the manufacturing process according to their support.  Here is the pump that my Volvo uses. 

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/1429-95-genuine-volvo-fuel-pump-assy-23386773-a-signature-is-required-for-delivery-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

12 hours ago, Lysdexic said:

The pump you reference is designed for the small block and non HO big blocks. I spoke to Carter and Volvo, and they have not changed the manufacturing process according to their support.  Here is the pump that my Volvo uses. 

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/1429-95-genuine-volvo-fuel-pump-assy-23386773-a-signature-is-required-for-delivery-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

What a price difference!!! 

I have the same VP 8.1 in my 2007 275. I started to hear the infamous whine last season and although the boat ran perfect all season, i decided to have it rebuilt by TROY at man cave mechanic.  Like others have said, the customer service and quality of work done was perfect. I have not had the chance to launch the boat as I’m in northern Michigan but expect no issues. 

Just a quick shout out to Troy at man cave mechanic. He rebuilt my fuel pump earlier this year and I’m glad to report that the wine that i had heard last year is now completely gone. Sure glad i had the pump rebuilt prior to any failure. Thanks for a job well done Troy!

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:38 PM, Just 1 more said:

Just a quick shout out to Troy at man cave mechanic. He rebuilt my fuel pump earlier this year and I’m glad to report that the wine that i had heard last year is now completely gone. Sure glad i had the pump rebuilt prior to any failure. Thanks for a job well done Troy!

For future reference, what does Troy charge for his refurbishing?

Troy’s website is: mancavemechanic.com.

He lists his many services and prices. As of this date, he lists refurbishing your 8.1 L pump assembly (you send it to him) for $450.00.