Sign in to follow this  
dh20

Time to upgrade... 276, 270, 250

Good Morning,

With 12" of fresh snow it's time to start the new search for the summer... I'm looking at a 276 with a 6.2L... my last chap had a 8.1L and I'm curious if I should be concerned moving to a smaller power plan on a larger boat... If I had a magic wand I'd get a bigger motor but supply and demand is not always in our favour.

Thoughts on the boat?

Comments on motor performance?

General advice?

I want a small cruiser I can trailer.

thanks

If you are on the great lakes and looking for a cruiser, I would go bigger.  I had a small cruiser at 26 ft. and I just found it to be too small. But it depends what you want out of it.

For us, the weekend we lived on it and go way for days at a time. So we jumped up to the Sig 290, hot water and real bathroom, more water, a bigger fridge and more.........  I don't trailer it but that alone was a cost savings to go against having it hauled.  Now we are buying a 34 footer cruiser. But I love the fact that we are limited to a lake.  

6 hours ago, dh20 said:

With 12" of fresh snow it's time to start the new search for the summer... I'm looking at a 276 with a 6.2L... my last chap had a 8.1L and I'm curious if I should be concerned moving to a smaller power plan on a larger boat... If I had a magic wand I'd get a bigger motor but supply and demand is not always in our favour.

Thoughts on the boat?

Comments on motor performance?

General advice?

I want a small cruiser I can trailer

Think about how you want to boat.  Are you looking to overnight on the hook or entertain guests?

Power: How many people will be going boating with you?  The more weight you have the more engine you need to maintain the speed you are comfortable with.  If it is just you and one other person the 6.2L might be just fine for you.

Platform (SSI vs Signature): You will not get the same amount of people, comfortably,  on a 27' cruiser that you can get on your SSi.  I boat on Lake Michigan and I have a 260 which is now the 270 w/8.1L 496.  I've seen 52 MHP on the GPS on a good day with one passenger and 1/2 tank of gas. 

Good Luck in your search, let us know which way you go.

dh20 - I'm just about to put my 2008 Sig 270 on the market. I purchased it new in 2010 and it has always been stored in high and dry storage since the day we purchased it.

Let me know if you're interested.

Greg