Sign in to follow this  
Greg954rr

Remote Oil Filter leaking

Was doing some work on the boat and noticed a small amount of oil leaking around where the remote oil filter adapter attaches to the engine block oil filter location.  Engine is a 2008 Merc 496. I made sure it wasn't coming from the high pressure line and from what I can see/feel the leak is coming from where the adapter screws into the block. This seems like a pretty easy fix so I ordered up replacement gaskets:

Mercury-Mercruiser 26-42077 SEAL &  Mercury-Mercruiser 26-862957 SEAL

Anyone else have this issue?  I plan on changing the gasket when the engine is cold and hasn't run in a while so hopefully most of the oil will have drained back into the oil pan. Anybody have any idea how much oil will still be left in the filter/line?  Just changed the oil so I don't want to drain it unless I have too.

Greg

16 hours ago, Greg954rr said:

Was doing some work on the boat and noticed a small amount of oil leaking around where the remote oil filter adapter attaches to the engine block oil filter location.  Engine is a 2008 Merc 496. I made sure it wasn't coming from the high pressure line and from what I can see/feel the leak is coming from where the adapter screws into the block. This seems like a pretty easy fix so I ordered up replacement gaskets:

Mercury-Mercruiser 26-42077 SEAL &  Mercury-Mercruiser 26-862957 SEAL

Anyone else have this issue?  I plan on changing the gasket when the engine is cold and hasn't run in a while so hopefully most of the oil will have drained back into the oil pan. Anybody have any idea how much oil will still be left in the filter/line?  Just changed the oil so I don't want to drain it unless I have too.

Greg

Your likely right, but be sure the oil is not running back from the engine oil cooler as the hose connections are not inverted flare as they would appear. They have small o-rings which usually need to be replaced when they fail as tightening typically just makes the situation worse. Also check the hose adapter for cracks carefully while you have it in your hand. Item 16 per attachment. W

https://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serialize(value)/496_MAG_H.O._Model/881784004/12826-220

Wingnut,

Good info as always. Will definitely check the hose connections as I thought they would be inverted flare fittings and the adapter as well for cracks.

Will let you know what I find,

Greg

11 hours ago, Greg954rr said:

Wingnut,

Good info as always. Will definitely check the hose connections as I thought they would be inverted flare fittings and the adapter as well for cracks.

Will let you know what I find,

Greg

The industry switched over to the captured "o-ring fittings some years ago and the easiest way to make them leak is to over tighten them. Automotive automatic transmissions switched over too some years back. I'm not a big fan, and I have found a few of those cooler connections leaking on new boats. PITA to replace that little ring on most boats. Good luck.  W

Wingnut - easy fix this time. Unbolted the remote oil filter adapter, replaced the 2 gasket, screwed it back on, fired it up....no leaks.  Easy day.   Not a lot of oil dropped out of the line either so the mess wasn't too bad.  

Greg

13 hours ago, Greg954rr said:

Wingnut - easy fix this time. Unbolted the remote oil filter adapter, replaced the 2 gasket, screwed it back on, fired it up....no leaks.  Easy day.   Not a lot of oil dropped out of the line either so the mess wasn't too bad.  

Greg

Nice. Simple problems are the best. I've never actually seen a failure at that gasket, and the only way that zone would see an over pressure condition is if the filter got plugged. Even then, the block adapter by-pass valve should open and divert the flow. Thanks for posting the results. You learn, we all learn.  W

How can a remote oil filter leak in any boat.  Remote means it is not in the boat................:haha-7383:

8 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

How can a remote oil filter leak in any boat.  Remote means it is not in the boat................:haha-7383:

Ha...in freshwater not too uncommon to find the oil lines that lead from the block to the remote oil filter housing leak where the ends are crimped on on say 15+ year old boats. Age coupled with repeated heat cycles I guess.