Jump to content

Boat Cleaning & Waxing Products


Recommended Posts

Proud new owner of a 2006 Signature 276. Boat and gel coat are in excellent shape given nearly 15 years old.

Left boating 30 years ago, so am looking for suggestions on hull cleaning and waxing products:

Cleaner/Wax/Pole Washer/Electric Buffer/etc.

Thank you in advance...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The McGuire products are without question the best for keeping your boat looking new. As far as the buffer, any decent variable speed buffer is fine. Spend money on wool pads and microfiber bonnets. Enjoy boating again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vol Mark 8657 said:

The McGuire products are without question the best for keeping your boat looking new. As far as the buffer, any decent variable speed buffer is fine. Spend money on wool pads and microfiber bonnets. Enjoy boating again. 

Pro Polish is the best polymer polish on the market by far. 3m and Meguiar's are okay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

products of MEGUIARS. M6332 wax easy, peasy. Our boat hasn't been waxed in seasons. We cleaned it up with the meguiars 1 step compunction and then used this wax with a micro cloth bonnet on a polishing wheel. It looked and felt terrific.
Work in 2-3ft square sections. Polish, use 1 rag to remove excess (the" wet rag"), then 1 rag to buff the haze (the "dry rag). This worked really well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meguiaurs Is very good. The Flagship Marine wax is the best. I recommend you watch Drake’s Detailing on You Tube. He has the best technique cleaning, waxing, and caring for a boat. I follow his way of working and he is really good at what he does. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to use polymer products.

Pro Polish and Driven work very well in the hot Florida sun.

I do not use carnauba products.

If you like what you use....keep using it or you will have a lot of half bottles laying around.

I am thinking of trying one of these ceramic coats next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would help if you were minding not only some fees but also the upkeep of its fiberglass deck (and hull). Maintaining it can reduce maintenance and repair costs, so learning how to clean fiberglass boat deck is advantageous. You can clean a boat with bleach, bit it does contain very harash chemicals and over time can damage gel on fiberglass boats, degrade vinyl seating threads, vinyl boat wraps, discolor and fade paint, and lead to corrosion in boat fitting and fixtures.

In my experience, I find it easier and faster to deal with the stains with a non-stick and gentle deck cleaner before finally applying some finishing scrubbing to polish the surface. A few tips that I think it will be of use to you:

- Scrub the fiberglass surface before using a deck cleaner to remove long-standing dirt and residue. Doing so, you will not also need to use any bleach.

- Clean the deck after every use by spraying it down if your boat stays in the water 24/7. But then, you do a thorough cleaning with a deck cleaner once a week.

- Use the deck cleaner as directed on the label to work well and produce great results. Choose one that is tough to get rid of the stains but gentle enough not to damage the surface.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I polished with McGuire's #45 marine in the spring as I always do. I then applied their M-27 Pro ceramic sealant. I thought to myself that this is way too easy as I too always used their Flagship Marine Wax. Just put her away for the season, and I must say I am pretty impressed. I reached out to their tech department in April and asked when they were going to offer a "Marine" ceramic sealant, and was told that they were having trouble keeping up with demand for their automotive offering. He told me to use the M-27 as it worked really well on Gel Coat. Even the hull bottom bottom remains mirror like and repels water like the day I first coated it. Below the water line I applied it with a foam roller and did not wipe off the excess, allowing it to soak in and self polish. I'm sold.   The stuff is a little expensive, so I bought a bulk gallon pretty cheap. W

Link to post
Share on other sites

3M Marine restorer and wax works good on any fiber glass or gel coat. This cleaner has a dual purpose: it both cleans your boat and gives it a little wax job. That’s why it’s known as a boat hull restorer. Me and my friends often use it to return the shine of our boats when they get dull.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wingnut said:

I polished with McGuire's #45 marine in the spring as I always do. I then applied their M-27 Pro ceramic sealant. I thought to myself that this is way too easy as I too always used their Flagship Marine Wax. Just put her away for the season, and I must say I am pretty impressed. I reached out to their tech department in April and asked when they were going to offer a "Marine" ceramic sealant, and was told that they were having trouble keeping up with demand for their automotive offering. He told me to use the M-27 as it worked really well on Gel Coat. Even the hull bottom bottom remains mirror like and repels water like the day I first coated it. Below the water line I applied it with a foam roller and did not wipe off the excess, allowing it to soak in and self polish. I'm sold.   The stuff is a little expensive, so I bought a bulk gallon pretty cheap. W

I may have to try the m-27 to keep the muddy Chesapeake from staining the bottom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, Vol Mark 8657 said:

Meguiaurs Is very good. The Flagship Marine wax is the best. I recommend you watch Drake’s Detailing on You Tube. He has the best technique cleaning, waxing, and caring for a boat. I follow his way of working and he is really good at what he does. 

I second the Drakes Detailing...  it’s good stuff!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, drewm3i said:

I may have to try the m-27 to keep the muddy Chesapeake from staining the bottom.

Yea, when there is a ton of rain in August, the brown algae in September can be bad. It seems o amount of scrubbing will take it off, and you have to resort to an end of season acid wash. I got into the habit of spraying the hull with Armor-All before August, and it prevents the staining but only lasts for a few outings. This year I hosed off the bottom before I put her back in the garage and she shows as new. Pretty happy with this stuff.  W

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...