Sign in to follow this  
bheston

Looking at a Signature 276 - but damage gelcoat

Hello,

Newbie to the forum but not boats in general.  I've primarily owned aluminum hull boats or pontoons.  I have had a few fiberglass, but not in the last 10 years.  I've always thought Chaparral made good high-quality boats and that's what has attracted me to this 276.  The problem is, it has some gelcoat damage.  I've only known gelcoat to fail in one way - impact.  However, the dealer indicated it is not from an impact and just a cosmetic defect.  They may be correct - I don't know.  I was hoping to get some experts here on the forum to comment.  Here are links to the pictures.  Let me know what you think.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EKAlQSWkVkLzd7XARLZXvNUvJ0cDpmIM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zCXmjxa2l19z5zbMkcuLfR3eMhpSp5Kr

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_nZ0Ea8vs1veUT553Gd4TEhZgnN3Tup-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XQmtVUTTWS4E0AbMIljOMdTe2WPm9HOO

Looks like poorly adhered gelcoat to me, which means it will be an ongoing issue. This would drive me nuts...I would want a steep discount.

Too many defects in too many areas to be just a cosmetic issue. Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Possibly too much time passed or the environment was not right when poly was applied over the gelcoat layer. Chances are it is an ongoing issue that will continue to show up in more areas.

The 276 is a nice boat but I would pass on this one.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I've decided to walk away from this one.  Really nice boat relative to the layout and equipment.  However, I'm not really looking for a project (or a headache).

14 hours ago, bheston said:

Thanks for the advice guys.  I've decided to walk away from this one.  Really nice boat relative to the layout and equipment.  However, I'm not really looking for a project (or a headache).

That's too bad because the damage on the stern over is really not that bad at all as far as repairing it and making it look brand new again and match the rest of the gelcoat.  The tough part is the cracking on the floor area by the locker hatch door since it's right on the edge and includes the non-skid pattern.  That's a whole other ballgame to repair than the smooth gelcoat which the right, experienced individual can make that look like it was never there and fix it to where it gets all the way to the root of the problem.  But that non-skid is a really difficult repair and its location is a vulnerable spot.  Good luck with finding another one.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, Hatem said:

That's too bad because the damage on the stern over is really not that bad at all as far as repairing it and making it look brand new again and match the rest of the gelcoat.  The tough part is the cracking on the floor area by the locker hatch door since it's right on the edge and includes the non-skid pattern.  That's a whole other ballgame to repair than the smooth gelcoat which the right, experienced individual can make that look like it was never there and fix it to where it gets all the way to the root of the problem.  But that non-skid is a really difficult repair and its location is a vulnerable spot.  Good luck with finding another one.

The skid worries me less than the smooth parts as that is damaged easily and all the time. The smooth parts...yikes:thththsoapbox2-1:

On 2/27/2020 at 6:23 AM, bheston said:

Another member here just put his Sig 270 cruiser for sale!

On 2/27/2020 at 6:23 AM, bheston said:

bheston,

I looked at the pictures and it was probably a good move to walk away. It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't deeper problems there. I have a 2008 Sig 270 and I've never seen that kind of cracking or anything close to that. Not sure where you're at but we have our boat up for sale.  I think one of the other guys linked to it but just in case here's the link again. Check it out I just added a bunch more photos that I took today.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2008-chaparral-signature-270-7383025/

Hit me up if you're interested.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Wow - very nice boat.  Very clean.  I'm in Cleveland so it's a bit far for me but I certainly appreciate the offer.  I'll keep in in mind because I could have it shipped to my marina.