Sign in to follow this  
RRTex

Engine Hatch

Has anyone removed their engine hatch or cover on an 220 SSI?  I have removed the old black insulation foam and want to clean up the inside and either bed line it or add reflective insulation but concerned about the weight of it.  I can do while on the boat but would be easier off.

Not exactly similar, but I had to remove the engine hatch on my 264 and the one thing I would say in caution is do not underestimate the weight and awkwardness of a Chaparral engine hatch. Dropping one and damaging it would be real expensive. I used a backhoe to lift mine and I was nervous. Not that you will need a backhoe, but don't try to do it with just a couple guys either. They are heavy and bulky.

That is the feedback I was looking for and was assuming would be the case.  I will do it while on the boat.

I have an '05 210SSI.  I don't think it's too much different in weight than yours. The trusses in my shop are exposed.  I put a couple ratchet straps over the truss and around the bottom of the hatch when open.  Then i disconnected the gas struts, stood the hatch straight up and tightened the straps to keep vertical.  Undid the hinge bolts, gave the ratchet straps a few more clicks and then pulled the boat out from under it.  Easy then for 2 guys to lower and much easier to work on when out of the boat laying on the ground.  Not sure your set up will allow you to do the above.

I would not remove it. One option you could consider is to put a hoist on the sun pad, and remove the struts. This would allow you to lift the lid higher than it normally goes. As mentioned above, the sunpad is heavy and awkward. 
brick

If we remove the lifting rod on any boat. We always put 2 angled  2 X 4s in the engine compartment to prevent a crushing drop on a hand or persons body.

On 2/27/2020 at 4:56 PM, RRTex said:

Has anyone removed their engine hatch or cover on an 220 SSI?  I have removed the old black insulation foam and want to clean up the inside and either bed line it or add reflective insulation but concerned about the weight of it.  I can do while on the boat but would be easier off.

What replacement insulation have you selected?

I power washed the inside of it yesterday and may leaving it as is.  My thoughts are to either spray black bed liner on it or use something like in the image below.

image.thumb.png.928074dd750a647fd0b778bf73858d57.png

Don't feel like you have to put something there unless you don't like the look.  I took it out of our old 1830 and our current 210SSI.  No noticable difference in noise or heat.  

Totally agree with SG Boater. Both 2002 have no foam over the 5,0 L V8  engines.  The water cooling & cast iron smother the noise.

Check whatever you install. Will it take the heat and is it suitable for marine engine rooms?

On 3/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, brick said:

I would not remove it. One option you could consider is to put a hoist on the sun pad, and remove the struts. This would allow you to lift the lid higher than it normally goes. As mentioned above, the sunpad is heavy and awkward. 
brick

+1

6 hours ago, brick said:

Check whatever you install. Will it take the heat and is it suitable for marine engine rooms?

And is it fireproof!

I do not think anything is fireproof.   But oil & gasoline resistant would be nice.

Check out www.mcmaster.com  for no minimum orders.  They had a foam that was good over a hot engine & fantastic on noise reduction.  Ask for technical assistance to pick the right type.

I insulated my engine cover ('96 2330 sst), although it is a much smaller cover than yours I believe.  Completely removed the existing spongy foam stuff.  it was starting to come off anyway and making a mess in the bilge.  I completely covered the inside with fire-resistant foam spray (the gap-filler stuff in the can).  I sprayed about a one-inch bead back and forth until completely covered the inside.  Took a while (about 4 cans I think).  It looked really weird, but then after the foam cured, I covered it with reflective insulation.  It came in a roll about 18" wide and 1/8 inch think and one side was super sticky (black).  I then secured it about every 10 inches with 1/2 inch screws with a captive washer (just screwed into the foam) and covered the screw heads with black fire resistant silicone.  I couldn't believe how well this worked.  It is really quiet compared to the original.  I probably didn't need the screws because its been 5 years and the reflective insulation is still stuck fast to the foam.