2015 277ssx thoughts

I test drove a '14 277 with the VP 380 back in 2016.  The boat felt really spacious and comfortable.  Really wide!!  It handled very well and accelerated quickly.  I was very impressed with it and actually wanted to pull the trigger.  But the dealer was asking more than Blue Book so I walked.  Only thing I didn't like was the lack of a wet bar in the cockpit.  I notice this one you're looking at only has a porta potty which I don't care for.  But other than that, I love this model.

I also was / is a big fan of this model. But as MS has said, not having a counter and sink was a problem for me on the base model. When I asked the rep at the boat show, he stated that the research showed that there wasn't all that much interest in it. The sink in the 256 was one of the reasons I liked it. Along with the easy access to the engine  and head. I like it for the easy access to the engine and size of the head.

Still looking.

I have the 8.2 mag in my 2016 264 Sunesta.  I have had up to 7 people in my boat and I can tell you the 8.2  will not disappoint. No shortage of HP.  I work on my own boat, well as much as I can. The problem is shortage of space when replacing the impeller, but with patience it is all doable. I've done plugs, fuel pump, impeller and water pump (which means taking off the crossover with heat exchanger)  277 SSX is a nice boat.

22 hours ago, Dennis10912 said:

I have the 8.2 mag in my 2016 264 Sunesta.  I have had up to 7 people in my boat and I can tell you the 8.2  will not disappoint. No shortage of HP.  I work on my own boat, well as much as I can. The problem is shortage of space when replacing the impeller, but with patience it is all doable. I've done plugs, fuel pump, impeller and water pump (which means taking off the crossover with heat exchanger)  277 SSX is a nice boat.

Hi Dennis, 

We looked at the boat yesterday and boy she is beautiful!  The entertainment island would be nice.  The porta pottie at least has dockside pump out. I also prefer to do all my own work and had heard about the impeller issue but looking in the engine compartment there seems to be a ton of room is the sunesta engine bay smaller perhaps?

Thanks for all the input!  I think I will be making an offer of 85K that seems like a more appropriate price!  Thoughts?

Derek

Yes it is smaller.  You should have 2 aluminum braces around the gas tank, remove them (temporarily).  That will allow for more working space.  I replaced my water pump (which requires the removal of the crossover and heat  exchanger) which was easy with the 2 braces removed.  Side note-when I changed my impeller and took out the fuel module earlier, I did it with mirrors-what a pain.  Now fast forward, after removing the 2 aluminum braces, the water pump, crossover and heat exchanger I saw the impeller.  I observed an  easier access to the impeller. Well easier than using the mirrors.  Next time I will remove the crossover and heat exchanger to do the impeller job.  The extra costs are only gaskets, bellows adhesive, parker lube and perfect seal, and of course Loctite.

Dennis

On 3/8/2020 at 3:29 PM, Dturn said:

Thanks for all the input!  I think I will be making an offer of 85K that seems like a more appropriate price!  Thoughts?

Derek

Hey Derek.  I just signed the deal on a 2017 287 SSX.  On this boat you're looking at I would offer lower.

5 hours ago, 4xFSChamp said:

Hey Derek.  I just signed the deal on a 2017 287 SSX.  On this boat you're looking at I would offer lower.

Hi, 

Yes I was thinking 84K!  If you dont mind me asking how much deer was that 287ssx?

Thanks

Derek

What’s up with all the water in the bilge? Looks like it’s been there for a while, too. I’d get to the bottom of that. Is it being stored outside on the hard? Did they leave the plug in?

I once looked at a boat over the winter that the plug was left in by mistake, and when the engine cover was lifted, we were all surprised to find the engine basically submerged in water. Not saying that happened here, but that’s a lot of water for a storage situation in NH with all the freezing that happens up there.

13 hours ago, Dturn said:

Hi, 

Yes I was thinking 84K!  If you dont mind me asking how much deer was that 287ssx?

Thanks

Derek

Only a few K more than what you're looking to offer on this one and my new to me 287 is a 2017 w/85 hrs w/electric tower and all the upgrades

If you don't mind me asking what power is your 287ssx have and what kind of speed you seeing with it?   Thanks  The 287 I have my eye on has a 380 volvo with Captains Call!

1 hour ago, Dturn said:

If you don't mind me asking what power is your 287ssx have and what kind of speed you seeing with it?   Thanks  The 287 I have my eye on has a 380 volvo with Captains Call!

Volvo 380hp engine. I sea trialed it on the Lake. We were running low 40mph without an issue not playing with trim or going full out etc.  I don't care to go any faster and it was smooth as silk.  My boat was just picked up this morning by my transporter and is headed home!

On 3/17/2020 at 1:34 PM, 4xFSChamp said:

Volvo 380hp engine. I sea trialed it on the Lake. We were running low 40mph without an issue not playing with trim or going full out etc.  I don't care to go any faster and it was smooth as silk.  My boat was just picked up this morning by my transporter and is headed home!

Sweet!  Would love to get some pictures when you get it.  Thanks For the info!

14 hours ago, rreale said:

offer less than 84, subject to a survey.   with the current state of the stock market, i doubt many boats are selling.

Yeah this dam epidemic has put a halt on my purchasing as well!  At least now I don't have to worry so much about someone else grabbing it..  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/17/2020 at 1:34 PM, 4xFSChamp said:

Have you had it wide open yet and do you recall what you ran for rpms?  Also you running FH4 PROPSET?

Thanks

Derek

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 10:15 PM, Dturn said:

Have you had it wide open yet and do you recall what you ran for rpms?  Also you running FH4 PROPSET?

Thanks

Derek

Hey Derek.  I haven't had it wide open yet just don't want to really run it hard lol.  I've hit 44mph with 11 people on board. so far (the log shows it's been 48.9mph previous owner on the lake)  I run mainly in the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding rivers.  To get smooth water is tough most of the time.  Whatever prop set came on it, no clue