Sign in to follow this  
Raft-up

depth gauges

question for more experienced boaters then me, does your depth gauge work at higher speeds (20-30 mph). I have a '18 257 ssx that doesn't register when going faster then 10 mph and my deal just informed me that that is the way it is designed. doesn't sound correct to me. need advice. thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Raft-up said:

question for more experienced boaters then me, does your depth gauge work at higher speeds (20-30 mph). I have a '18 257 ssx that doesn't register when going faster then 10 mph and my deal just informed me that that is the way it is designed. doesn't sound correct to me. need advice. thanks. 

Transducer placement and orientation is the key. The face must stay wetted, and bonded to the water column regardless of speed or running attitude. Also, there is an arrow on the transducer body that must point in the proper direction according to the OEM's installation instructions. Show us your location and check the arrow, and go from there.  W

thank you for the responses, not sure of the brand I have, factory from chap. I am going to pick it up tomorrow from the dealer. will take a picture then.  stupid question Wingnut, is the arrow on the transponder? thanks again for the help. 

Mine works fine at any speed however I rarely look at it since the water in my lake is so clear you can always see the bottom when shallow. 

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Transducer placement and orientation is the key. The face must stay wetted, and bonded to the water column regardless of speed or running attitude. Also, there is an arrow on the transducer body that must point in the proper direction according to the OEM's installation instructions. Show us your location and check the arrow, and go from there.  W

Yep! In other word, no air or bubbles. 

11 minutes ago, Bt Doctur said:

Now at 30 mph (44 feet/ second) what good does a depth gauge do you, think about it.

True, but you will see the bottom come up real quick.

If your using sonar/fishfinder I would want it to work at 0 to 18kph. To each their own.............. 

2 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

Now at 30 mph (44 feet/ second) what good does a depth gauge do you, think about it.

No thought necessary. In the bay, espicially at night, out of the shipping channel is a real good idea. 25' of water assures that but 15 or less tells me I'm in Crab Pot country.

Is it mounted in the bilge bottom  ?  Or hanging off the transom ?  If transom ?  See if it flips up too easily. Or  above the hull bottom. I set the top of a wedge shaped transducer to be even with the hull bottom.

A photo of it on the boat would help a lot.

hey guys, appreciate all the the help. explained to me that because mine is a surf boat with the forward facing prop that at higher speeds there is such a disruption with the water where the transducer has to be placed that there will be a disruption in the readings. guess that makes sense. they further explained that if the transducer was moved more forward that no readings would be transmitted. my question now is does that sound right to you all. second, any other surf boat owners have the same issue?

5 hours ago, Raft-up said:

hey guys, appreciate all the the help. explained to me that because mine is a surf boat with the forward facing prop that at higher speeds there is such a disruption with the water where the transducer has to be placed that there will be a disruption in the readings. guess that makes sense. they further explained that if the transducer was moved more forward that no readings would be transmitted. my question now is does that sound right to you all. second, any other surf boat owners have the same issue?

You can test for proper transducer placement by putting water in the bilge, and moving the transducer around. It works on sound waves and searches for changed in density to reflect back the  pulse, measuring the time it takes. I mount them to the inside of the hull often with epoxy resin. The transducer just thinks is has a thick cover and ignores that reading, shoots through the hull, and bounces off the bottom of the water way. You could try a transom mount if you can find some quiet water back there.  W

NO   

This test requires some common sense & a driver.  Hang over the stern with CHEAP DIVING GOGGLES on. Look downto see where yo have solid water at WOT.  Just you & the driver & a light tank of gas if possible.  Position the stern mounted transducer in the solid water.  The company instructions will have you get the de3pth correct.

Piece of cake job

I use a magic marker or grease pencil to mark where the transducer should go

On 3/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, Raft-up said:

So do you have an transom mount transducer or a through hull?