gweedo

Solar charger

Hello all, unfortunately I now need to store my boat without electrical hookup.  I am looking into getting a solar charger for the three batteries on my 290 sig.  Trying to avoid wasting money, anyone have good luck with a quality solar charger capable of  charging three batteries.  I will get three individual ones if necessary.  I don't trust the advertisers as mush as I do my fellow forum opinions. 

Thanks in advance!

I too have a 290. Your not saying the type of battery, AGM, flooded or Gel. I use five  AGMs leave them in the boat all winter with the cables disconnected with no charger. Come spring charge them for 20 minuets and all good. Flooded, you can not do that or your taking a chance.

On a 290 you have at lest 3 batteries. You could buy a 50 watt panel with a charging controller. A 50 watt panel is about 2.5 to 4 amps which is fine for what you are doing. Panel dependent on output. The controller will do just that, limit the current as not to over charge your batteries. This system will range from 50 to 300 depending on the type of panel and the controller. The panel come in solid, semi-flexable, flexible and fold-able in the lower watt range.  

Will the batteries have loads drawing on them, or with the main switch(s) be off, while in storage? Is this long term storage or just a place where the boat is going to be parked between trips? With no loads and warm weather, little need to supplemental maintenance. No need for actual charging, unless the boat is put away with dead batteries. 

Great questions and advice.  there are three LIFELINE batteries AGM?, two for the engines and a larger one for the house.  I have them on a trickle charger now, and to be honest I didn't even think about if the trickle is okay/safe for these batteries.  I know if I take it off the trickle, it doesn't take but a day for the carbon monoxide sensor to start chirping.  the batteries aren't even a year old and very expensive.  The switches are kept in the off position even when charging on the trickles.  I purchased the boat last year.  I don't think the boat charger is working;  when I plugged it in, the batteries went dead, they only worked after putting the trickle on them.  I don't know how to check to see if the charger is working, I'm hoping to facetime with a friend to assist me on testing the charger, but our times don't seem to mate up.  

So, I need to check the charger, I don't know if the carbon monoxide sensor is too old now, but it doesn't chirp when on the trickle.  I have done a ton of work on it getting it ready for this year, but living in Northern Arizona where it snows it hard to work on. (winterizing was fun, NOT)  also need to see why the gauges work and then don't work.  the previous owner put a Lowrance on it, I'm thinking he stole power from something and it may have a bad ground or loose connection.  I'm not big on electrical so I'll try my best. 

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcomed.  THANKS again!

Sorry, it will be stored long term in the winter and just short term during the season.  I thin in the winter since the boat is going to storage, i'll take the batts out and charge at home unless I can get the solar set up, which is ideal for me. 

16 hours ago, gweedo said:

Great questions and advice.  there are three LIFELINE batteries AGM?, two for the engines and a larger one for the house.  I have them on a trickle charger now, and to be honest I didn't even think about if the trickle is okay/safe for these batteries.  I know if I take it off the trickle, it doesn't take but a day for the carbon monoxide sensor to start chirping.  the batteries aren't even a year old and very expensive.  The switches are kept in the off position even when charging on the trickles.  I purchased the boat last year.  I don't think the boat charger is working;  when I plugged it in, the batteries went dead, they only worked after putting the trickle on them.  I don't know how to check to see if the charger is working, I'm hoping to facetime with a friend to assist me on testing the charger, but our times don't seem to mate up.  

So, I need to check the charger, I don't know if the carbon monoxide sensor is too old now, but it doesn't chirp when on the trickle.  I have done a ton of work on it getting it ready for this year, but living in Northern Arizona where it snows it hard to work on. (winterizing was fun, NOT)  also need to see why the gauges work and then don't work.  the previous owner put a Lowrance on it, I'm thinking he stole power from something and it may have a bad ground or loose connection.  I'm not big on electrical so I'll try my best. 

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcomed.  THANKS again!

If it takes a day and the carbon monoxide detector is going off. Than you have a house battery problem or you are leaving things on. 

Yeah that's what I thought as well, but I have checked everything I can think of and nothing is on.  The battery is about 9-10 months old when I bought the boat.  So I  must be missing something I guess.  On another note, I just found a hole in the fiberglass below the transom right at the bottom edge.  I didn't see it and the surveyor didn't see it, it blended in pretty good with the dark paint and the silicone they filled the hole with.  So that's $500 this coming Tuesday to repair that.  oh well I'm not new to boating and it goes with the territory.  unfortunately w are 11-day from moving out of our home and purchasing a new home.  great timing.    Thanks for the replies.  I'll check things again and get the charger checked out as well.  

I would do a load test on the battery just to be sure. I added 2 more, a total of three house batteries to my boat. The batteries now last about 24hrs when we go away. Thats with the fridge on, all LED lighting, and a little more. No music, the head unit and amp pull to much. I also added a 2nd on board charger just for the house so they charge up faster off the generator. 

Good idea and that's a lot of batteries.  I had 55' foot house boat along with a deck boat, that was awesome.  Sold when retired and moved out of state, and just  kept a 21' to cruise around in.  Then we moved to Arizona, not far from Lake Powel (don't know if you heard of it, it's massive) anyhow the sig 290 is ideal for that lake.  You are on your own out there so I need to get this thing right.  I appreciate you suggestions Thanks Iggy!

1 hour ago, gweedo said:

Good idea and that's a lot of batteries.  I had 55' foot house boat along with a deck boat, that was awesome.  Sold when retired and moved out of state, and just  kept a 21' to cruise around in.  Then we moved to Arizona, not far from Lake Powel (don't know if you heard of it, it's massive) anyhow the sig 290 is ideal for that lake.  You are on your own out there so I need to get this thing right.  I appreciate you suggestions Thanks Iggy!

I have heard of it, but never been there. Some day?? I am salt water boater, so yes! We need to get this right. Seatow, where are you??