Newbie! Choosing the marine battery

Hello! I'm a newbie at this forum and in boating (bought my boat 2 days ago).

I've already searched for some info and now want to ask experts which marine battery to choose.

If I'm not mistaken there are at least two types of marine batteries: deep cycle and dual purpose. Which one is better? How to choose between them?

From videos and articles I've picked these units:

- best deep cycle Vmaxtanks VMAXSLR125

- best dual purpose Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M

- best budget Mighty Max Battery

Are they really good? Could someone prove that they are definitely "best ones"?

All suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Have a great day.

~ John

For what its worth.............

I would and have gone with Odyssey. Now Odyssey has made them for others . They did make them under the Diehard brand and still make them under Northstar and for Batteries + they call them X2. 

I have 5 of them, 2 for starting and 3 for the house bank. Some of mine are now hitting 10 years old and still going strong. Some would say that they are pricey, but you get what you pay for and out on the water you want dependability. With a 60 month return policy, that alone says something. The one of the reasons I like them! Over the winter I just disconnect the cables and leave them in the boat with a full charge. Come spring, clean all the connections before reconnecting them. Turn the on board chargers on, and in 20 minutes the charger goes into a maintenance mode.  No removing them from the boat, no charging them over the winter.

I do all my types of batteries  with small transistorized I C regulators I built for only 13 .8 vdc  trickle charge for about  6 wet cell batteries. To prevent Sulphation all winter& summer when they are not in use.

• 2 weeks later...

The ratings are true !!   Untill a company runs of a bunch of rejects.  Then YOU  are a unhappy customer. It is always just outside of the warranty period.   Been there. Dealing with the same auto place for decades does wonders for getting a good replacement. Free of charge.

Most non cabin day boats benefit from the use of a two specific batteries. One dedicated starting battery and one dedicated deep cycle battery. I use Sams club AGM batteries. If you give specifics of your boat, we could probably give better advise.

1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

Most non cabin day boats benefit from the use of a two specific batteries. One dedicated starting battery and one dedicated deep cycle battery. I use Sams club AGM batteries. If you give specifics of your boat, we could probably give better advise.

A good AGM by it chemistry, can be used for starting and deep cycle.  Every boater needs to do the math between, battery amp hours, load and how long they want that load to last. Also with AGMs, not taking that battery below 40% and flooded not below 50%. Another advantage that AGMs have, 10% more power before recharging.   

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 11:13 AM, Iggy said:

A good AGM by it chemistry, can be used for starting and deep cycle.  Every boater needs to do the math between, battery amp hours, load and how long they want that load to last. Also with AGMs, not taking that battery below 40% and flooded not below 50%. Another advantage that AGMs have, 10% more power before recharging.   

Sometimes the only difference between an automotive AGM battery and a boat AGM battery is that one says "marine" on it. I'll get an AGM if the default battery ever dies on me.

23 hours ago, Klub Marcus said:

Sometimes the only difference between an automotive AGM battery and a boat AGM battery is that one says "marine" on it. I'll get an AGM if the default battery ever dies on me.

Yep!

• 5 weeks later...

I bought Mighty Max Battery to power a 36-pound thrust trolling motor mounted on a kayak. I was able to try it out on the water today and I am happy with the results so far. I was only able to run it for a couple of hours but under continuous use, at varying speeds, it still had lots of power left when I was done. The trolling motor has 5 LEDs to indicate battery condition and there was still 4 lit after 2 hrs.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:22 PM, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

John,

What make and model boat are you working with? I ask, because 6 hours ago found legal steroids GNC on alvenda on the Malibu boat owners forum, you posted a youtube link stating you used it to choose the best battery, an Odyssey battery. 

Do I need a deep cycle battery for my boat?
Once a boat's engine has started, it no longer needs the same quick and powerful bursts of energy that come from a starter battery. Instead, the boat needs continuous, reliable power for trolling-- including running electronics like sonar, GPS, and radios. That's where deep cycle marine batteries come in.
On 10/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, ShaBooty said:

I have two (2) Interstate 24M-XHD for my 216 SSI.   They are going on 5 years with no issues with cranking or running stereo with engine off for 2-3 hours.

+1 on Interstate Marine. Had two of the 800CCA 1000 amp starting batteries on my ride which were installed new by my dealer in late 2007. After 10 years, one checked good, the other fair so I replaced them again with a pair of Interstates. Deep cycle batteries will give out a steady rate voltage for a longer period of time, but lack the initial excess voltage required by modern ECM's upon initialization.  Volvo actually had a bulletin warning against using a deep cycle for starting. W

Do not be surprised if the batteries made in 2020 & 2021  Die early deaths.   Along with any replacements.  Covid 19 WILL cause all sorts of Q C problems on every manufactured item. The good people are sick & dying  .   Less sales mean >>>>>>   Lets start cutting corners.>>>>>>.   Happens with every real down turn .  We ARE in a real down turn.