Well Crap... Lake Powell is closed

I came up and put my boat in a slip fearing the ramps would close and my buddy was planning to bring his up next week but they are closing the public ramps tomorrow. Looks like the best approach at this time is to haul it out today and put it back in storage.... Sucks because this is the best time to be on the lake due to the lack of crowds. 

Most likely this means my season is shot until September. 

I'll be in the corner sucking my thumb if you need me :)

8 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I came up and put my boat in a slip fearing the ramps would close and my buddy was planning to bring his up next week but they are closing the public ramps tomorrow. Looks like the best approach at this time is to haul it out today and put it back in storage.... Sucks because this is the best time to be on the lake due to the lack of crowds. 

AAAH $hit.......

Stay Safe Phill

I though about leaving the boat in the slip but figured I'd never use it by myself with all the services being limited and it being much cheaper to put it back in storage. It turned out to be a good call when I saw this in one of the press releases :  "Owners of private vessels moored at marinas will be able to access their vessels but due to the suspension of visitor services and public safety resources on Lake Powell, voyaging outside of marinas on private vessels is prohibited."

On 4/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, Phillbo said:

It could be and it probably will be a whole lot worse before it is over.

I just heard that they shut down the Walleye fishing in Maumee Ohio on the Maumee River near Toledo Ohio, because of all the out of state people that come to it.

I can't take a buddy out on the lake fishing, because he is not family, and we would be too close together.

I was still able to golf today, but I am sure that that will soon change too, because people will not abide by the rules that have been set in place to allow us to do it.

Whatever happened to just plane old common sense. Denny.

For the past couple of days I've taken advantage of the nice weather and have done some bike riding. The usual places along the Niagara River. Too many people. Many are walking within the 6 foot rule. Several times I've had to "detour" around these people.  Its safer to ride in the street!

I have also see two cruisers already tied up near the entrance/exit to the Erie Canal at the Niagara River. I also could see the "wet marks" at the ramps nearby from people retrieving there boats and saw a couple cruising in the river. Mine is still in the barn far far away not knowing what's going to happen with either the virus or the weather. 

With the skies so clear now, it'll be interesting to see how April and May's weather patterns will behave. For the past several years its been opposite. It looks like I got 5 days of rain coming......so who knows. God Himself is scratching His head, "Ya got me." :scratchchin:

Maryland has prohibited recreational boating til further notice. Really sucks because normally I'd be ready to launch by now.  I haven't even started my Spring work.

Wet weather helps the virus.

Wife and I have been observing  a truce finally.  No more outbursts of frustration.  I told her to call everyone all the time.  It works for her group.

All the lake are closed here in Illinois. I would normally be getting ours prepped for the season. Won’t even get it out of storage until this changes. With the terrible spring we had last year I was really excited for this year’s boating season. We had a Table Rock trip and a Lake Cumberland trip planned. Frustrating to say the least. I have been riding my bike more so I guess there’s a silver lining. 

Edited by Challenger604
Added more

I typically get out on my Mountain Bike about 3-4 times a week but these days the trails are so crowded it's almost not worth it. Not having insurance at this time drives me to stay on the more tame trails so that's the issue. If I was riding the more difficult trails they would have less traffic. Not worth the risk of a trip to the ER these days. 

On 4/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, cyclops2 said:

Move over. Make room for all of us. Unless you live in a R governor controlled state. There anything still goes.

Well that depends if your R governor is really kind of a Middle of the Road governor....................................... 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 8:41 AM, Challenger604 said:

All the lake are closed here in Illinois. I would normally be getting ours prepped for the season. Won’t even get it out of storage until this changes. With the terrible spring we had last year I was really excited for this year’s boating season. We had a Table Rock trip and a Lake Cumberland trip planned. Frustrating to say the least. I have been riding my bike more so I guess there’s a silver lining. 

I take delivery on the new boat May 3rd. I'm on the Milwaukee river and Lake Michigan but I haven't heard anything about it closing....yet...All of the marinas here in Wisconsin have been deemed essential so everyone is still open at this point.  Now getting my docks installed is going to be a different story because the installers need to be 6' apart and it isn't easy work.  I might have a boat without a dock :( 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, Phillbo said:

hey Phil, long time no talk. rough time for me, past 6 months, personal life- did not visit the forum even once! but was SO hoping to visit Lake Powell again this summer (with a new GF, yippeeeee!).

Why are you saying the Lake is closed??? I've read that one marina is still open for public launches (way to the west/south though), here is what it said: "The public launch ramp at Lees Ferry remains open."  https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

But once you had your boat in a slip, was it prohibited to use the lake?? I did not see anything like that online 2 days ago, except the marinas themselves might be closed or limited as you said. so wth, why could you not still go boating and have a helluva time with noone around?

That is a bit misleading. I have no clue if Lees Ferry ramp is open or not but even if it is you are still not allowed out on the lake. You would not want to launch at Lees Ferry anyway, it's on the extreme north end of the lake and you would spend a lot of time boating down to the mid and southern sections where you want to be. Launch from Stateline like you did last time 

They don't want you on the lake due to the limited amount of services (rangers, emt's etc..) available at this time.