Youngz

Best windshield cleaner?

I thought I’d see what people are using to get all the water spots off the windshield.. I’ve used McGuires glass cleaner and windex but I can get them clean..  

Any Ammonia   types      IF    IF     you never get it on any other surfaces !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Been there. Cost me money for the repairs.

Thanks for the advice..  I might try that.. or just be ok with the spots:) the rest of the boat shines  but those #%^$&%$ spots stick out.

My boat has a piece of Sunbrella that ....JUST COVERS.......the windshield. I put it up for any hot rodding around and when I leave the boat if rain is a possibility. Lot less spots.

I`ve always heard a vinegar solution is good for water spots.

Another option and I might start with this and then move on to ammonia.  My boat should smell interesting:) thanks!

Ceramic coat the windshield and all you will ever need is a tiny damp rag with water to clean it up in seconds. Nothing sticks, no water spots. Lasts all season!

What happens if it spills on other materials ?    any no nos ?

Cyclops, i even put it on the dash and vinyl seats! Works unreal on the non skid floor! 

the ceramic coats look very interesting to put on the gel coat as well.  for your windshield once the water spots are removed - vinegar or ammonia etc.  - buy the product RainEx - put that on your windshield - it will wear off unlike the ceramic but its cheap and water beads and rolls off

i use cquartz uk 3.0. There is better stuff but the manufacturers sell exclusive to their installers to eliminate the average guy applying it incorrectly then blaming their product. The newest trend is a silica coating. But it's not universal, there is a special figerglass product vs automotive paint product for silica coatings but they are superior to even ceramic for duration. Where the ceramic is very universal and can be applied to the pourous gelcoat and your car! I even put it on my glass shower doors...counters...kitchen sink haha! Trust me, you will never wax again. The hydrophobic properties are unreal, and it protects for uv light far superior to any wax. The best feature is nothing sticks to it. You will barely have to dry it off after launching! Rain x or any wax is an absolute waste of time compared to a ceramic coating on the glass. With a ceramic coating there will never be water spots again. Trust me i have tried them all!!! I have done extensive testing with test panels over the past 3 years comparing many many products. The only polymer/wax to even consider is rejex.Don't be afraid of a ceramic coating, it's easier to apply than a wax. And if you want to remove it, the lightest polish will take it right off. Just make sure to prep the surface with alcohol first...treat it like prepping to paint something except no sanding lol!!!

Barkeepers Friend will take all the water spots off. Walmart sells it. Use same yellow pads you clean a glass top stove with. Put it on rub it off with paper towels, then use a good window cleaner to remove the residue. Made my 2014 Sunesta 224 windshield look like new.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:03 PM, Youngz said:

I thought I’d see what people are using to get all the water spots off the windshield.. I’ve used McGuires glass cleaner and windex but I can get them clean..  

Whichever cleaner you chose, add some white distilled vinegar to it and you will have no water spots.  Denny.

25 minutes ago, SeaWench said:

Will the barkeepers friend hurt any of the surrounding fiberglass id it gets on it?

You have to be careful of vinyl enclosures, some cleaners will attack it.  Denny.

6 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I coat my glass with Rain X ....

The only problem that I have experienced with using Rain X is, if you need your wind shield wipers they  will chatter, because they can not make good contact with the windshield.  Denny.

I don't even have a windshield wiper.... They dry up and rot before they ever get used around here.... 

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

I don't even have a windshield wiper.... They dry up and rot before they ever get used around here.... 

:DI figured that, as many times that I have been out there, I have never had to duck out of the rain.  Denny.

Try a good glass cleaner out of sunlight if possible then dry it with plain old newspaper. Seriously . Paper towels and rags tent to leave residue. You'll see what I mean.