Sign in to follow this  
onesaintsfan

Is something wrong?

Posted (edited)

2005 Mercruiser 5.0 2bl Alpha. 1

if the boat is in forward gear with engine off should the prop be able to turn or should it be locked completely?  It’ won’t turn backward but will turn forward with a ratcheting feel to it.

i screwed up the other day while cleaning and bringing it out of hibernation.  I accidentally put into gear quickly and rev it up.  I heard a terrible grinding noise.   I backed off and shut it down. I was just wanting to rev it in neutral but was in gear.

The boat is on the trailer.   So I started it today and all seemed good.   But it’s been my experience that with the boat in gear and engine off the prop should not turn at all.   Again it will turn forward with a ratchet feel to it but won’t turn backward.  When I put it into reverse with the engine off the prop won’t turn forward but will turn backward with the same ratchet feel. My boating area is 70 miles away so don’t won’t to get there and be broken. Does the lower unit have some sort of “slipper” clutch?  In neutral it turns smoothly with no slack etc

im afraid I’ve stripped something in the lower unit.    With the engine running it shifts into forward and back and the prop turns.    
Thanks in advance , hope I haven’t broken something

Edited by onesaintsfan
Add

Cone clutch     would be my guess  wingnut Or Shepherd  will give you the right answer.

Thanks ,.  Sorry for the knee jerk question without research.   I googled and think I might still be ok.  It looks like it should lock in forward but not reverse.  Getting conflicting results.

In forward gear turns with clicks CW, locked CCW

In reverse turns CCW with clicks but locked CW 

?????????

What you have is know as a ratcheting dog clutch. Not really a clutch at all, but a set of opposing square teeth that get forced together and held in by spring tension. The key to those Alpha's is to shift them quickly, and cleanly. Never try to ease her into gear as it is very hard on the dog teeth. What you describe is completely normal. This assembly is located within the lower drive gear case just ahead of the prop, unlike the Bravo cone clutches which are in the upper gear case. Those are made to slip to improve smoothness. W

41 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Cone clutch     would be my guess  wingnut Or Shepherd  will give you the right answer.

Please Stop

3 hours ago, onesaintsfan said:

Thanks ,.  Sorry for the knee jerk question without research.   I googled and think I might still be ok.  It looks like it should lock in forward but not reverse.  Getting conflicting results.

In forward gear turns with clicks CW, locked CCW

In reverse turns CCW with clicks but locked CW 

?????????

Perfectly normal

click to enlarge

Untitledfg.png

11 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Good luck with that... 

You think?