Sign in to follow this  
SST

EZ Pass and towing your boat

I'm not on the thruway very much so I have been paying cash. But with the virus, cash tolls are rapidly disappearing and therefore I've been considering getting EZ Pass. I read that if I'm going to tow the boat then I have to register the trailer. No problem there.....But...…..What will happen if I drive through a toll without the trailer in tow? Will I still get billed for the trailer? Do I remove the reader from the window.....and then what happens? Toll by Mail?

If I register the truck and trailer, can I still register my Focus? The Focus will see more highway activity than the 150 will.

I did read their FAQ sheet but these questions are not answered.

You don't need to register the trailer. When you register they ask how many transponders you need for your vehicles. 1 for each. Nothing for the trailer is required. The scales and sensors know if your towing. It's much easier than it sounds. I think you also get a small discount for using it.

I don't know what your Focus has to do with towing your boat. With EZ Pass, there is no transponder needed when trailing. At lest in Mass. 

I use to tow and yes in Mass your trailer has to be registered. Every state is different on registration and Mass uses EZ Pass too. I had no problems with the truck going though the tolls. Here is the funny part and it only happened twice out of hundreds of times. I got a notice in the mail for non payment with a pic. The pic was the back of my boat with the plate numbers of the trailer. Nothing on the truck!!

I called them and they said that the trailer did not pay. I said, "well the trailer could have not gone though the tolls by itself." Did you look at what though the tolls seconds before the trailer? Too funny! They had to look up my account and charge that toll towards my EZ Pass account and remove the fine. But it took at least 20 minutes on the phone to explain this.   

This is the reason I started this post {Google search response].  Where it says, "Tags should only be used when towing" is why I asked the question above....will I get billed even if I don't tow the boat.  There is no answer on EZ-Pass website.

Can you go through EZ Pass with a trailer in NY?
This form is used to order an E-ZPass Tag(s) for a two or three-axle vehicle that is towing a one, two or three-axle trailer, camper, boat, etc. Tags should only be used when towing. Complete form and mail to E-ZPass New York Customer Service Center, 1150 South Avenue, Staten Island, NY, 10314

All I can say, I have has EZ Pass for 10 years now on my truck and car. As mentioned, that was the only problem I ever had. For 8 years of that ten, I used it every day to go to work. 

I would call them.

I always wondered if EZ Pass was under one roof. Instead, it appears that each state is different. So I guess when driving in NY, I may get billed if I'm not towing whereas another state you won't.

I posted here hoping to avoid "the call."

I also wonder if I'm better off without EZ Pass. Just drive through the tag reader and see how I get billed. The New York State Thruway is converting to an all tag reader service. Gonna be interesting.

I've always just run a regular ez pass on my truck. Towing or not they always know. Never been mis billed.

I know in Texas there are sensors in the road to detect the number of axles.  I have no idea how that works, but it's highway robbery when I tow my triple-axle trailer on the tollways!!

I think what I'll do is just run without the pass and see what happens and how much. Instead of prepaying an ez-pass account with a CC, I just wait to get billed and pay online with the CC. 

This may be a better way because if a dispute happens, I control the CC. Although in NY, they may cancel my vehicle registration and cork screw me into the ground.

It definitely varies from state to state. There is some kind of loose affiliation but that's it. Here in Maryland I didn't have to register my trailer. The EZ Pass sensors can tell when you have a trailer and I think they even know how many axles for billing purposes. You shouldn't have a problem getting charged for your trailer when not towing but I guess there is only one way to find out. 

When driving on the Ohio turnpike last year I  thought that their EZ Pass system was exactly like Maryland's. They have gates but I thought (stupidly) that the gate would stay up for me while I drove through. Well I was wrong. They have older equipment that requires you to stop in order for it to read the transponder. The gate came down right in front of me and I smashed right through it. Talk about embarrassing. :clapsmiley:

2 weeks ago, I took my boat to Grand Island and drove through the sensors. I haven't received a bill yet. Not sure how they do their billing so I may not get the bill until June. I'll post here when they do. 

Well, I finally got the bill.  6 weeks later. With truck and trailer they charged me $1.50.  Vehicle only would have been 1 dollar.  The picture is the front end of the truck. No trailer in site so I guess they must have detected it or maybe they had multiple pictures of front and rear and picked the truck. The trailer license plate is not very visible from a steep angle.

Either way, the price is right.