Everything is either an entry level POS, or a luxurious yacht? What happened to normal boats for normal people? Like a 25'er with a versatile layout, plenty of deck space, and a sleep-able cabin if a cuddy cabin without a million cushions and two wet bars? Do people not use their boats for anything but the sandbar anymore?

Also, why does no manufacturer make a practical cuddy cabin anymore? The cuddies I have seen from Bayliner and Formula, are either too big (Formula) or have no deck space and so many cushions that there is no usable deck space. What gives? It seems the last well-designed and manageable-sized cuddies (24'-27') were built in the mid-2000s and are now at least 15 years old. 

Why is this the case?  I suppose I am stirring the pot a bit, but I am befuddled while searching for boats as there is nothing that piques my interest that is relatively new. What happened to classic lines and designs? It seems they have gone the way of the dodo. Just an observation...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Everything is either an entry level POS, or a luxurious yacht? What happened to normal boats for normal people? Like a 25'er with a versatile layout, plenty of deck space, and a sleep-able cabin if a cuddy cabin without a million cushions and two wet bars? Do people not use their boats for anything but the sandbar anymore?

Also, why does no manufacturer make a practical cuddy cabin anymore? The cuddies I have seen from Bayliner and Formula, are either too big (Formula) or have no deck space and so many cushions that there is no usable deck space. What gives? It seems the last well-designed and manageable-sized cuddies (24'-27') were built in the mid-2000s and are now at least 15 years old. 

Why is this the case?  I suppose I am stirring the pot a bit, but I am befuddled while searching for boats as there is nothing that piques my interest that is relatively new. What happened to classic lines and designs? It seems they have gone the way of the dodo. Just an observation...

I agree. I looked long and hard for a boat that could kinda do it all. Ended up looking for my 265ssi. That said the original owner kept every document and receipt for it including the original window sticker. I was blown away to see without a trailer it was 90k new 14 years ago. That's just insane. 

Just for example, Sea Ray does not offer a cruiser anymore under 30 feet and neither does Chap. In the old days, there were offerings from 23-24' all the way up to about 34'. Now the boats start at around 30' and with a price tag to boot! I wonder how the industry will fare in the upcoming recession...I bet a lot of these manufacturers will have to adjust or go under.

2 hours ago, 2004lebanshee said:

I agree. I looked long and hard for a boat that could kinda do it all. Ended up looking for my 265ssi. That said the original owner kept every document and receipt for it including the original window sticker. I was blown away to see without a trailer it was 90k new 14 years ago. That's just insane. 

Look and see what 90K will not buy you today. Look at what bass boats are going for. The trend now is day boats, and 50K outboards.  Denny.

12 minutes ago, Denny said:

Look and see what 90K will not buy you today. Look at what bass boats are going for. The trend now is day boats, and 50K outboards.  Denny.

I know it's crazy. Do people pay close to sticker with boats?

90k is not what it used to be and quantitative easing (printing money) does not help...but still, why does no one make something like the 265 ssi anymore? Every used one sells quickly...seems a good opportunity for a builder grounded in reality.

55 minutes ago, phills fan said:

For the past year I have been looking at the Cutwater C24. Its a nice kinda do it all boat, just not sure if its the normal mans boat @ 120 grand.

120k for a 24' is pretty steep. I wonder what a 235 SSI went for back in the day? My best guess is around 50k. I know my 1999 2335 SS was about 35-40k new and boy was that a seaworthy and responsive hull!

37 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

90k is not what it used to be and quantitative easing (printing money) does not help...but still, why does no one make something like the 265 ssi anymore? Every used one sells quickly...seems a good opportunity for a builder grounded in reality.

If they make something like that it will be over 100 K. Use boat are going to be a big sealer in the future. 

Just now, drewm3i said:

120k for a 24' is pretty steep. I wonder what a 235 SSI went for back in the day? My best guess is around 50k. I know my 1999 2335 SS was about 35-40k new and boy was that a seaworthy and responsive hull!

In 1985 235XLC (and it is a true 23 ft boat) listed for 27k with an E-Z loader roller trailer, the original owner paid 21k.

I bought it from him 1992 for 13.5k

I have kept a log of everything spent on her, purchase, restoration, maintenance, repairs, additions, fuel, and hours run (over 1700 hrs) since June of 92 through last season, and I still have not spent 90k. And she does have a cuddy. Denny.

0615141803b_(2).jpg

2 hours ago, phills fan said:

For the past year I have been looking at the Cutwater C24. Its a nice kinda do it all boat, just not sure if its the normal mans boat @ 120 grand.

You are not a normal man so you should be fine. Ha...   Does it come with season tickets for the Phillies?

19 hours ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

With chap yes because they do not let the dealers inflate the prices.

I am waiting on a 2020 24 ssi i pay 93 k with o most all the option. 

Correction it is $91,200.00 whit trailer aluminium.  Sorry I  was at work did not remember the right price. 

20 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Its crazy.  Accounting for inflation alone, that $40k boat should be about $60 today.  Now, some improvements in technology may drive costs up a bit more.  And environmental concerns has driven materials costs up.  If that adds another 50% of costs (doubt it, that is a big adjustment, but possible), then you are starting to approach six figures.  So maybe $120k is not realistic, but $90k for same boat could seem reasonable.

On 4/26/2020 at 2:45 AM, drewm3i said:

Any different than a "blue collar" pickup?  Look how the cost of a basic truck has increased over the last 10 years or so

On the bright  side it's great for us used boat owners. The price of used boats that are well kept have held their value. The longer new goes up the better off we are.

On the bright  side it's great for us used boat owners. The price of used boats that are well kept have held their value. The longer new goes up the better off we are.

True...until you want to sell and buy a new used boat I suppose.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 5:51 AM, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

It is supply and demand, no to many sale, for dose boats i will said. 

Look at the center console some of them are millions. 

I just traded in my 2002 Signature 260 for a 2019 297 SSX.  I never thought I would want to get out of the small pocket cruiser but the open bow suits us better now.  Chaparral stopped building and selling the signature series and at the Milwaukee boat show I asked the Chaparral Midwest Sales Executive the same question. He said the same thing "supply and demand".  I could have purchased a Signature 310 in 2016 for 160 large herd of deer.  To buy similar now that same size boat is closer to 300 large herd of deer.

Here's a question because I purchased new this year.  Why is a comparable Sea Ray boat nearly 100 large herd of deer more than a Chaparral boat?  IMHO Chaparral is superior in quality over Sea Ray.

1 hour ago, Senior said:

I just traded in my 2002 Signature 260 for a 2019 297 SSX.  I never thought I would want to get out of the small pocket cruiser but the open bow suits us better now.  Chaparral stopped building and selling the signature series and at the Milwaukee boat show I asked the Chaparral Midwest Sales Executive the same question. He said the same thing "supply and demand".  I could have purchased a Signature 310 in 2016 for 160 large herd of deer.  To buy similar now that same size boat is closer to 300 large herd of deer.

Here's a question because I purchased new this year.  Why is a comparable Sea Ray boat nearly 100 large herd of deer more than a Chaparral boat?  IMHO Chaparral is superior in quality over Sea Ray.

It is sad to see it go, because there is still some people that will still like them.