I have a 4.3L mercruiser alpha engine and have had a leak on the drive oil. I need to top it up but I'm not sure if it has had a the high performance quicksilver or the premium quicksilver gear oil in it. 

How can you tell the difference?

Thanks, Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I’m not a marine mechanic but my understanding based on what I’ve read online, is that the High Performance is typically used for outdrives (like your Alpha and my Bravo 3s)  while the premium is used in outboards.  Here’s a link to Mercury’s website explaining this:  https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/parts-and-accessories/mercury-marine-products/precision-lubricants/gear-lube/

Premium is a honey color and can be used in drives that do not use a cone clutch, it`s a standard 80-85-90W Hypoid ,antifoaming MIL SPEC 5

the Hi-Performance is a bluish/green and is used with cone clutches

If the leak had been fixed, drain whats in there and refill

2 minutes ago, Bt Doctur said:

Premium is a honey color and can be used in drives that do not use a cone clutch, it`s a standard 80-85-90W Hypoid ,antifoaming MIL SPEC 5

the Hi-Performance is a bluish/green and is used with cone clutches

If the leak had been fixed, drain whats in there and refill

Great thanks, yeah it is a bluish green so it must be the high performance

12 minutes ago, Bt Doctur said:

Telling us what drive would have been helpful, Alpha 1`s and GEN II can use premuim, Bravo`s must use the Hi-Perf

It is an alpha drive but not sure which gen.

1 hour ago, jamiefoz said:

I have a 4.3L mercruiser alpha engine and have had a leak on the drive oil. I need to top it up but I'm not sure if it has had a the high performance quicksilver or the premium quicksilver gear oil in it. 

How can you tell the difference?

Thanks, Jamie

The High Performance Merc lube has a friction modifier that is critical for proper cone clutch engagement on both the Bravo and Volvo type drives. Alphas do not require that additive, and the spec is Premium lube, but I prefer to use the High Perf lube in the Alphas also.  W