Sign in to follow this  
SST

Which life vest are you all wearing

I currently have the classic orange vest Type II 4-pack. I don't wear one while operating my boat but they are just inside the cuddy door. I do have a throwable device at my feet.

I've been thinking about getting a new one that is more "fitting" to wear while operating the boat. Looking at West Marine, there are so many selections that its difficult to determine what's best. So, I thought I would ask you guys what you wear/use while underway.

BTW, 99.9% of the time I am either in the east end of Lake Erie or the Niagara River. I just delivered my boat to the original mechanic yesterday who will give my boat a complete going over to verify and/or fix repairs from 3 years ago and when he gives me the expensive green light, I'll be headed further out into the lake including Lake Ontario assuming border restrictions are lifted.

Wife & I have 2 rated for being ejected at 50 mph.    Others get USCG rated for use at full plane  speeds

I chicken out on doing Ontario  in the 186.   :thththsoapbox2-1:

8 hours ago, Iggy said:

If the weather gets a little rough we put these on. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=revere-comfortmax-inflatable-belt-pack-pfd-life-jacket&path=-1|135|2290066|2290071&id=1833089

We keep them on the backs of our seats. I do keep a ditch bag over our heads hanging from the stainless supports that hold the bimini up.

That looks pretty good. I haven't seen that one listed.  I can't tell from the photo but is the storage bag attached to the life jacket or is it separate?  My concern might be if its windy what's the probability of it getting blown away. If its attached to the bag while attached to me, I won't  likely lose it.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, SST said:

I currently have the classic orange vest Type II 4-pack. I don't wear one while operating my boat but they are just inside the cuddy door. I do have a throwable device at my feet.

I've been thinking about getting a new one that is more "fitting" to wear while operating the boat. Looking at West Marine, there are so many selections that its difficult to determine what's best. So, I thought I would ask you guys what you wear/use while underway.

BTW, 99.9% of the time I am either in the east end of Lake Erie or the Niagara River. I just delivered my boat to the original mechanic yesterday who will give my boat a complete going over to verify and/or fix repairs from 3 years ago and when he gives me the expensive green light, I'll be headed further out into the lake including Lake Ontario assuming border restrictions are lifted.

Lock passage on the Okeechobee water way now require boaters to wear life vests. I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012HW5WRE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?pd_rd_i=B012HW5WRE&pd_rd_w=oveaI&pf_rd_p=a64be657-55f3-4b6a-91aa-17a31a8febb4&pd_rd_wg=AdibU&pf_rd_r=Q5977YAEMF5FHRG9RQX0&pd_rd_r=e9af072a-3492-4e9c-b39b-b267e62f8000&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExR1k2QlFaNko5QkxCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc1MjA0MUZTSjFBMTcySzdRNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODg1MDk2MkpER1FRQTg2NUFaNyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

It is comfortable and not too hot.

16 hours ago, SST said:

That looks pretty good. I haven't seen that one listed.  I can't tell from the photo but is the storage bag attached to the life jacket or is it separate?  My concern might be if its windy what's the probability of it getting blown away. If its attached to the bag while attached to me, I won't  likely lose it.

It is all one. You pull the cord and the bottom is attached to the belt. Then you pull it over your head. I also use this type when on my inflatable.

If it really get rough, I use this type. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=onyx-m-24-manual-inflatable-life-jacket-life-jacket-pfd&path=-1|135|2290066|2290071&id=2044782

Both give you the freedom to move. BUT remember one thing, U.S.C.G. will not count it as a PDF unless your wearing it. As mentioned the fanny pack type I keep on the back of your seats. The U.S.C.G. boarded us and did count them because they where right there.  

All my fishing vests are of different ratings. I ALWAYS try to use the big FOAM filled ones if the heat is tolerable.  It ALWAYS WORKS.

But as the heat and or humidity get too much.  I put on the suspenders that I have already tested to work..  All are USCG approved.

Good enough for me.......... I DO tie a line to me & the  Man overboard coiled line & the cleat by the drivers seat. That allows me to climb into the boat at the stern ladder location.