Sign in to follow this  
Dreamboat276

Inflatable Tender for getting ashore

I'm planning a two week trip on Lake Powell and need a solution for getting ashore, as dry as possible, with expensive camera gear. I'm reluctant to beach my 2006 Sig 276, and besides, there will be locations (Reflection Canyon, for instance) where there are no beaches nearby. I bought an inflatable kayak from Costco, but is was way too tipsy. I've seen small, "zodiac" style inflatables (West Marine), but they are pricey. I'm a big guy, so launching from swim platform has its challenges anyway, but finding a good solid ship to shore inflatable is a must.

Get the one at Costco for $499 in store, more expensive online.  https://www.costco.com/tobin-sports-inflatable-boat.product.100574274.html   I got mine for $299 end of season store blow out...  just watch out for the aluminum flecks left during manufacturing on your first voyage inflation. 

I have a Signature 276 as well.  I just tow mine off back, with a set of eyes on it, don't ask why...lets just say finders keepers...  You should see me do it solo, especially when going through the Locks into the Puget Sound.  Fun times and Enjoy!

Get the one at Costco for $499 in store, more expensive online.  https://www.costco.com/tobin-sports-inflatable-boat.product.100574274.html   I got mine for $299 end of season store blow out...  just watch out for the aluminum flecks left during manufacturing on your first voyage inflation. 

I have a Signature 276 as well.  I just tow mine off back, with a set of eyes on it, don't ask why...lets just say finders keepers...  You should see me do it solo, especially when going through the Locks into the Puget Sound.  Fun times and Enjoy!

I should also offer up, any advice you might need.  I bet,

I know the answers to questions you don't have yet.  I also have lots of spare 276 parts...especially any electronics you might need.  Can you say, water puppy (Jabsco) I couldn't...craziest pluming issue ever.  Peace. 

Why are you reluctant to beach your cruiser? I'been beaching mine for years at Powell and have seen no negative impact from doing so. I carry a small folding ladder to make getting on and off the bow easier. There are beaches in Reflection if you know where to look. About half way in on the left is a nice beach that gets early afternoon shade and there is one at the end if you take the left finger. 

If your looking at inflatables, you don't want one that is a "roll up" type or a flat bottom. You need one with a keel or it will not track right.

My first one was a Mercury, flat bottom with slats on the floor. I was all over the place and to make it go in a straight line was tough. The wind, the current would push on it make it hard to control.

I bought this and love it! It has a flat deck so when water that gets in and it well, it go to the keel. With the roll up, your feet and bags were in water.   https://www.northatlanticinflatables.com/product-page/8-8-aluminum-rib-w-deck  Now the do make ones with inflatable keels that cost less. 

Two weeks at Lake Powell - how nice! There is so much to explore. I was just there the last weekend in April for the tentative locals opening from COVID related restrictions.

I agree with Phillbo, we typically beach at Lake Powell. Just a matter of finding a sandy spot. You can always bring a mat if you want to keep your keel off the beach. Also have lines off the aft sides to keep the boat from getting turned parallel to the shore.

Small crafts do help if you want to get to the back of most of the side canyons to hike and explore. The water depth gets shallow and you may find wood and debris. Several options posters have shared - any would be good. We typically use paddle boards - with my camera protected in case of an unexpected dunk.

As for keeping expensive camera gear protected I highly recommend Pelican water proof cases. I have used them on river raft/kayak trips and on Powell. Or if you prefer something that isn't hard sided look at Lowepro waterproof bags/duffels. I often put my camera in a small camera backpack and then put that into a dry bag. Comes in handy when swimming through narrows during hikes. 

Have a great time!

On 5/3/2020 at 3:25 PM, Phillbo said:

Why are you reluctant to beach your cruiser? I'been beaching mine for years at Powell and have seen no negative impact from doing so. I carry a small folding ladder to make getting on and off the bow easier. There are beaches in Reflection if you know where to look. About half way in on the left is a nice beach that gets early afternoon shade and there is one at the end if you take the left finger. 

Hello Phillbo, what type of ladder, actually folds or telescopes.  How much room does it take up?   thnx

I tried the telescoping type but they are to flimsy for my liking so I just use a standard 3 step folding ladder. It stores well under the couch in the cockpit along with the grill.