Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySeaII

Diesel trucks

Everytime I hitch up my 3/4 ton Duramax, I am reminded of why I spend the extra $$!  The amount of torque and the exhaust brake make the diesel so worth the additional cost.  My boat & trailer is 8300 lbs which is within the limits of a 1/2 ton.  But the diesel pulls it like it's nothing and just tapping the brake pedal allows the engine braking to all but stop the rig.  Put so much less strain on the brakes!  I have a smile on my face every time!  Pulling up the ramp is a breeze.:beer-7687-1:

4 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Everytime I hitch up my 3/4 ton Duramax, I am reminded of why I spend the extra $$!  The amount of torque and the exhaust brake make the diesel so worth the additional cost.  My boat & trailer is 8300 lbs which is within the limits of a 1/2 ton.  But the diesel pulls it like it's nothing and just tapping the brake pedal allows the engine braking to all but stop the rig.  Put so much less strain on the brakes!  I have a smile on my face every time!  Pulling up the ramp is a breeze.:beer-7687-1:

+1

1. We all need to have complete confidence when towing. Worth every penny.  :clapsmiley:

6 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

But the diesel pulls it like it's nothing and just tapping the brake pedal allows the engine braking to all but stop the rig.  Put so much less strain on the brakes! 

Definitely one of my favorite features on mine.  The only small headache is the DEF fluid and having to fill it up every 3 months or so.  Other than that, well worth every penny, and they were a lot of pennies! lol.  Got any pics?

large_rig.jpg.7a1f2c632573a73d5c75aa5bf7ca1659.jpg

2016 Silverado HD.  Stock except 20" MotoMetal wheels on Nitto Ridge Grappler tires plus a few other custom add-ons.

8 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I'm a Chevy Man but I do like the Ram MegaCab.

I looked and looked for the Mega.  Really like the additional room in the cab.  I upgraded from an Avalanche and a Silverado before that.  I like the Chevys...especially the Duramax.  Just couldn't justify the premium price over the Ram.  Good looking truck you have!

the cost of the new trucks is completely outrageous!!!  And my Brother-in-law owns the dealership.  I keep telling him no way in bloody #$^% am I paying that much for a truck!!  I believe the NBS Ram and the Ford all similarly priced as the GM.  $60-70+K for a diesel.  Even with the incentives right now, it's still a $70K truck to start with!!!

1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

the cost of the new trucks is completely outrageous!!!  And my Brother-in-law owns the dealership.  I keep telling him no way in bloody #$^% am I paying that much for a truck!!  I believe the NBS Ram and the Ford all similarly priced as the GM.  $60-70+K for a diesel.  Even with the incentives right now, it's still a $70K truck to start with!!!

Absolutely!  My '16 was purchased new....in late 2016.  So I got what I consider a pretty good deal considering I was after a very specifically optioned vehicle with waning stock due to all the 2017s hitting the lots.

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Absolutely!  My '16 was purchased new....in late 2016.  So I got what I consider a pretty good deal considering I was after a very specifically optioned vehicle with waning stock due to all the 2017s hitting the lots.

ditto.  Got my '16 when the '17 with the new Duramax was coming out so I got a good deal too.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:50 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

large_rig.jpg.7a1f2c632573a73d5c75aa5bf7ca1659.jpg

2016 Silverado HD.  Stock except 20" MotoMetal wheels on Nitto Ridge Grappler tires plus a few other custom add-ons.

Very nice.

I love my Cummins! I've had an 03 an 07 and now a 14. I tow my 2835 and my old lobster boat all over. 

IMG_20190525_122642.jpg

IMG_20190830_144740 (1).jpg

On 5/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Agree!  10k pounds (Loaded boat and trailer).  Truck is 9k pounds.  Love my Cummins!

fVkZ0z8.jpg

Beautiful truck and boat! How are you able to upload such large pictures? I'm only able to go to ~300k. 

19 hours ago, JGuilesBand said:

Beautiful truck and boat! How are you able to upload such large pictures? I'm only able to go to ~300k. 

Thank you!  I don't upload them here.  I upload to www.imgur.com and then "insert" a link in the forum.

Does anyone have experience with the new 3L I6 duramax that Chevy just started using?  We are eyeing up a new Tahoe towards the end of the year and this engine package has me interested but there is not much feedback on them yet.  

On 5/24/2020 at 10:16 PM, Dustin Mustangs said:

Does anyone have experience with the new 3L I6 duramax that Chevy just started using?  We are eyeing up a new Tahoe towards the end of the year and this engine package has me interested but there is not much feedback on them yet.  

Is to new best bet is to wait and see. i love the Cummins.

Agree. My deleted and tuned Duramax doesn't even know my Sunesta is behind it.

I went from a 2016 Expedition ecoboost to a 2018 F250 diesel. Not  going back to gas for towing.