Buening82

Sunesta 264 w/Venture trailer: Can't get hull to bow roller stop

My wife and I bought our very first boat, a 2008 Sunesta 264 with 320ish hours and is on an aluminum Venture trailer. I cannot seem to get the winch to pull the boats hull to the bow roller. I asked the previous owner and he said he had the same issues, so the boat gets transported without the hull resting on the roller but rather it moves up and down when I hit a bump. This makes me nervous.  It seems as if the winch is either too large or the roller brakes needs moved up (cut/weld). The roller is lower than the strap, so when the bow gets close the strap is pushing up on the roller due to the kink/angle. I've moved the pedestal down so that the strap is more level, but it still doesn't go to the roller and the bow loop is hitting the roller (meaning its too low). 

Thoughts on what is going on here? What can I adjust? Does anyone have this boat and trailer combination that could take some measurements for me??

Also, does the boat only rest on the main bunks or does it also need to rest on the front vee bunk? There is about an inch or so gap currently.. The main bunks are not adjustable on this trailer from what I can tell. They are all resting on the trailer crossbars.

20200503_113258_compress93.jpg

The boat position looks okay to me. I always leave an inch or two between the trailer roller and the bow so the trailer has room to twist and bend without pushing the boat up or trying to rip the bow eye (loop) from the boat.

If you desire to pull the bow right to the roller try to route the belt over the roller not under. If that does what you want consider changing geometry of the post and roller so the belt is not pulling the boat down.

In your configuration the belt under the roller is forcing the boat down. This only increases the friction between hull and bunks while trying to wedge the boat into the trailer. If you route the belt over the roller, the pulling force will move the boat forward and slightly up. The slight lift up instead of push down should be enough to ease the friction and pull the boat tight to the roller - not a good idea IMO.

I just wasn't sure if the bow hull needed support while transporting, as currently its not resting on anything. It sounds like its not critical.

Does your bow bounce up and down while traveling down the road? Should I install a Boatbuckle strap from the hull eye to the trailer eye to keep it from bouncing? 

I see what you are saying on strap over vs under. Everything I've read recommended it be under.

5 hours ago, Buening82 said:

I just wasn't sure if the bow hull needed support while transporting, as currently its not resting on anything. It sounds like its not critical.

> I would give it some room, not too much, since the trailer flexes and the boat is stiff along the keel axis.

Does your bow bounce up and down while traveling down the road? Should I install a Boatbuckle strap from the hull eye to the trailer eye to keep it from bouncing? 

> Yes, it appears that it does but mostly it is the trailer's tongue/thill that is flexing up and down. You can test how much the trailer tongue moves up and down by jacking the tongue up and down while trailer is at rest and chocked, and observing the distance change between the roller and the bow. You will be surprised.

> Yes, I would, I do have a ratchet strap with hooks and clips on both sides that limits the bouncing. Sometime the strap is tense (when trailer is approaching an apex of a hump and truck is already on lower ground), sometime is loose (a truck on higher ground than trailer). Make sure the hooks have clips so the bottom one does not disengage while going over a hump for example.

I see what you are saying on strap over vs under. Everything I've read recommended it be under.

> Under - that is my understanding as well. I was just suggesting to take it over the roller for testing in your current configuration that forces the boat bow down. You would need to fix the post-roller-eye geometry so the strap is more or less leveled under AND slightly away from the roller if you want to haul with the bow tight to the roller.

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

Yep!

Over the roller as Rambo mentioned. When I use to trailer, at times I had the same problem. I would put a strain the strap, drive a mile and the boat would move forward and tighten the strap again.   

But a big deal, but I would also take the slack out of the safety chain.  

Can you move the bow roller back on the trailer a few inches?  If so give that a try. 

I would not move the strap over the roller. If you do that the strap and latch will end of pinched between the bow and roller. 

1 hour ago, dan02gt said:

Can you move the bow roller back on the trailer a few inches?  If so give that a try. 

I would not move the strap over the roller. If you do that the strap and latch will end of pinched between the bow and roller. 

Do you mean loosen the whole assembly and move it down the post. If the winch was lower that might work BUT we are not seeing how the boat is seating in the trailer in relation to the winch and roller. Was that trailer fitted to the boat? Or did that trailer used for another type of boat.  

9 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Do you mean loosen the whole assembly and move it down the post. If the winch was lower that might work BUT we are not seeing how the boat is seating in the trailer in relation to the winch and roller. Was that trailer fitted to the boat? Or did that trailer used for another type of boat.  

No I mean loosen the entire post and slide everything towards the boat a few inches till it makes contact with the bow.  The post position is adjustable on my trailer. 

You’re right about needing to see the rest of the setup.  We need the see if the boat is far enough up on the bunks. 

Could the position be different  /  better ?   I  would simply put that plastic wheel a couple of inches below the metal U bolt of the boat.  Not that critical at all. The winch is just to pull the boat to the roller.  NO special positions of any parts required.  Just snug enough to  prevent SCRUBBING marks from bumps in the road..   Fiddle with it on land & in the water.  You will find a snug combination

Where is the back of the boat in relation to the bunks? Do you have overhang of either? If you have overhang of bunks, showing that the transom is supported, I would slide the wench post rearward to allow rubber guide to touch the stainless bow plate. Then I would move your forward underneath V support to touch the bottom of the hull.