brianbev

aft bilge tube ?

Hey guys,

I've got a 2007 Signature 290 with twin V-6's. I've got a small amount of water in the bilge and started the pump. It ran for some time, and I could see fluid moving up thru the first part of the tube, but never exited the boat. As I followed the tube, I found it moves down along the floor, up the wall and then for some reason, does a series of loops, one of which wraps around one of the air venting tubes. This creates several loops in the tube. Does anyone know why Chaparral would do this ?  Seems like it would be very difficult for the pump to eventually extract water, and a likely place for clogs (which I think I have).  I'm inclined to cut off the excess tubing, and re-apply it without all the loops and extra tubing. 

Thoughts / suggestions ??

If the loops are done just right ?   When the pump stops ?  A LOT of water will drain back thru the pump.

Installer forgot his knife ?

thanks,

That is what's happening now. Pumps runs, does not pump out any water. Then when I turn it off, all the water that was pumped up into the tube runs back down into the bilge thru the pump. I think I'll take the tube off and see if I have a clog ?

I was just wondering if there was a reason there is so much excess tubing ?

11 minutes ago, brianbev said:

thanks,

That is what's happening now. Pumps runs, does not pump out any water. Then when I turn it off, all the water that was pumped up into the tube runs back down into the bilge thru the pump. I think I'll take the tube off and see if I have a clog ?

My first thought would be to eliminate the loops and try it and see what happens.

There may be some resistance there with all the J-Traps.  Denny

28 minutes ago, brianbev said:

thanks,

There is really no reason for the J-Traps, the pump will stop pumping when it runs out of water, no mater how much water is left in the line.  Denny.

16 minutes ago, Denny said:

My first thought would be to eliminate the loops and try it and see what happens.

There may be some resistance there with all the J-Traps.  Denny

The higher the hill climb, the more the resistance.  Denny.

There should be one loop. It't there so you don't suck up water and full you bilge. 

My bilge hose goes from the bilge pump to the thru hull fitting pretty much straight forward. Except there is an intentional high spot that serves to keep sea water from outside the boat getting into the bilge. The high spot in the hose is about 6 inches above the thru hull fitting. In other words, the pump must overcome the high spot in the hose in order to pump bilge water out. Hope this helps you understand the purpose of needing a high spot in the bilge discharge hose.

15 minutes ago, SterndriveEd12 said:

My bilge hose goes from the bilge pump to the thru hull fitting pretty much straight forward. Except there is an intentional high spot that serves to keep sea water from outside the boat getting into the bilge. The high spot in the hose is about 6 inches above the thru hull fitting. In other words, the pump must overcome the high spot in the hose in order to pump bilge water out. Hope this helps you understand the purpose of needing a high spot in the bilge discharge hose.

I understand the high spot, I have one on my vent hose for my gas tank, but none on my bilge hose.  Denny.

I would call it a raised arch. That allows the pump to always start easier.. It also slows down outside waves from pushing water down the tube.  The pump can handle a 6" to 12 " high arch.

You guys ROCK !!

Thanks so much. I think I'll check for a clog, and maybe clean out the bottom of the pump as well.

Happy boating !