Sign in to follow this  
DQNinh

Engine won't start

Hi All,

I have a 2016 Chaperral H20 19 sport, with the Volvo 225 SSI.  I turn on the key, got the beep sound, all inboard devices work.  However, when I turn the key to start the engine, the engine won't crank.  No sound at all.  The gear is in neutral.  The fuses are checked and good.  I put my finger on the relay, and could feel that the relay is making a very light sound.

What could be wrong?

Thanks.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, leonid said:

Is emergency cut off switch triggered on remote?

What do you mean?  Can you elaborate?

On 5/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, cyclops2 said:

Did you put a battery charger on the battery for a day ?

My batteries are always on a 12Amp ProMarine on-board charger when the boat is in my gara.  

There s/b a lanyard attached to the throttle/gear selector (remote).  If the switch that lanyard is attached isn't fully in the on position it will result in your symptoms.   Has happened to most boaters at least once.

If the emergency cut off switch is not on the engine will crank but not fire. If the gear shift is not in neutral the engine will not crank. You stated it is in neutral but try wiggling the shifter while turning the key.. could be a dead spot in the shifter. 

Try holding the key in the start position for 5 or 6 seconds even though you are not getting any sounds. Worked for me. I was told this resets the crankshaft senor. I can't verify that but it got me home after going out with another couple.

I had the same issue the first crank of the season.  Didn't make so much as a click.Turns out the the starter solenoid was seized up.  I could bypass it with a screwdriver and the starter would spin, but it wasn't engaging the flywheel.  Apparently this is fairly common as moisture will cause some corrosion on it and freeze it up.  I tapped it a few times with a hammer and all has been good since, but I will probably replace it before the boat goes back into storage in the fall.

A lot of water sloshing around the boat under the engine ?  How deep ?   Measure the water under the engine starter area.   

I never have any water in the bottom of the hull.  But I always put the covers on the boat after riding it.  No rain or hose wash downs allowed.

I DO have water in the hull when I drain the boat for winter storage.  But the boat has the drain plug out & bow up.

I am having a similar issue now.  I have to jiggle the throttle while its in neutral in order to get it to start.  Trying to figure out what is causing this to happen.  I thought it might be a neutral safety switch but the dealer said my 2003 210SS doesn't have one.  I am open to any and all ideas!  I just bought the boat so I am not sure when this started.  The previous owner said he never had this issue!

3 hours ago, DonziDon said:

I am having a similar issue now.  I have to jiggle the throttle while its in neutral in order to get it to start.  Trying to figure out what is causing this to happen.  I thought it might be a neutral safety switch but the dealer said my 2003 210SS doesn't have one.  I am open to any and all ideas!  I just bought the boat so I am not sure when this started.  The previous owner said he never had this issue!

I've never seen an I/O without one. Send us a photo of your shifter assm.  W

Having a hard time posting a picture.  keeps saying the file it to big no matter what I do.  The dealer said I have the Mercury Remote 4000 and the part number is 858690.  They said the only 2 switches were the kill switch and the trim switch.  I was surprised to hear that as I figured everything had a neutral safety switch.  Any help appreciated!!

15 minutes ago, DonziDon said:

Having a hard time posting a picture.  keeps saying the file it to big no matter what I do.  The dealer said I have the Mercury Remote 4000 and the part number is 858690.  They said the only 2 switches were the kill switch and the trim switch.  I was surprised to hear that as I figured everything had a neutral safety switch.  Any help appreciated!!

Your dealer is correct (almost) as there are only 2 external, serviceable switches on the 4,000. The neutral safety switch is integral to the controller and can only be accessed by removing the rear cover from the controller as shown in the attached video. You will see a red and a yellow wire harness that connects to this hidden switch. W

Are we confusing the neutral safety switch in the shift lever with the emergency kill switch that has a lanyard??