yogi799

Winter gas leak?

Pulled the boat out of shed. Smelled gas like crazy. I had full tanks and i see some yellowish stain on the swim platform, one end of it. Under the gas cap there is some hole/circle, which i never know what it was for (with allen key to turn it) and looks like some old washer is sticking out. Is that some sort of a gas vent and it leaked thru there a bit? it is about 3 inches below gas cap on the right side. Should i worry or just replace that weird looking gasket and call it a day?

Well you never fill a tank to the neck because of expansion but in any case it came out the tank vent port and they do not have washers or allen keys.untitledtv.png

I had the exact same thing happen on my 216.  What you are describing with the hex key is the gas tank vent and it was determined I filled it too much and the gas expanded.  Not sure on 2013 but I had the carbon canister in line for the new EPA stuff and I did replace that as it is not suppose to get soaked with fuel.

thanks a lot, some replies were very helpful.

off topic, but since some folks brought it up, no my winter gas DOES NOT have ethanol in it (that was not the point of the thread to begin with...), Shell in Ontario has premium gas which is still ethanol free.

Secondly, filling tanks full is recommended by the manual (again , off topic), to prevent condensation on the tank's walls. So i do and have been for 7 years now.

Thirdly, dn0349, yeah, thanks, that is what i was looking for, so is my gasket messed up? It seems to be sticking out in a weird way, as if it was overtightened, never seen it like that before. Is it time to replace the vent? By the way, here is what mine looks like, except it is too dark now to take a pic of mine with , but identical to this, with the hex head.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uV0AAOSwnDxUiH~D/s-l300.jpg

Yep that is the exact part and exact same thing happened to me.  After storage the was gas smell and yellow stain on the swim platform.  If it is sticking out you probably want to replace it to be safe.  The other purpose it suppose serve is keeping water from entering but letting the gases escape. 

similar:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwood--flush-mount-316-stainless-fuel-vent-straight-vent--P006_187_003_530?pCode=10017846&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>NonB>Product%20Type-_-10017846&product_id=10017846&creative=108421551724&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIua636ujH6QIVTdbACh3nxQ4PEAQYASABEgJWhfD_BwE

About storing a tank full or empty to prevent it sucking in some moisture with every up & down temperature change ?    Well a most northern USA college did a real all winter season test.  With a empty & full tank that was NOT using a sealed filler cap. The empty tank Had almost NO measurable water in the tank. Their conclusion was not enough DRIER winter air actually is pulled in & out of the tank.   THink about it. A winter front causes a SLIGHT pressure change. About a .25 to .50 PSI change  when there are EXTREME SUDDEN  TEMPERATURE  changes. That is not what is happening  in the Aluminum tank plate every time a front passes by. 

What can cause water in your tank next spring ?  Is loads of watered gasoline. A bad design of your filler cap.  A gas cap gasket missing or installed incorrectly.  So any water is guided INTO the non sealed gas tank.  I have never had water in a gas tank.  1 time I forgot to put the cap back on.  ROUGH , hard starting . Poor running untill at least 1/ 3 of WOT setting.  Spark plugs were pure white. After a WOT run of a few minutes

I ONLY use marine HIGH TEST NO Ethanol.  That is all the fuel dock sells.   Beats paying a hamburger flipper running up a obscene parts & labor bill.