Sign in to follow this  
RRTex

Help! Water in Transom?

Adding smart tabs to my 220 SSI and when I drilled the top holes for the strut I hit a void and water is coming out.  I tried to stick something through and it stops nor can I see any hole inside the engine compartment.

1) Does this mean I have a wet transom?  I would assume water is coming in via swim platform tie down hooks on back of boat.

2) If this hole is wet can I get it dried as much as possible and go ahead and install the tabs using 4200 in the holes with the screws?

IMG_0389 (1).jpg

Very common problem. Installed Smart Tabs on a friends Bayliner a few weeks ago and got water out of his transom. 
I think you pretty much have it figured out. Get as much water out as you can and finish the the tab install with 4200. I would also re-seal the swim platform bolts while your at it. 
I’m not sure if our transoms are wood or composite but I do know Chaparral uses all treated wood so it shouldn’t rot. 

anytime you drill a hole in a boat and water comes out , there is a serious issue there. Dosent matter whats its made of, there should not be any  water

9 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

Very common problem. Installed Smart Tabs on a friends Bayliner a few weeks ago and got water out of his transom. 
I think you pretty much have it figured out. Get as much water out as you can and finish the the tab install with 4200. I would also re-seal the swim platform bolts while your at it. 
I’m not sure if our transoms are wood or composite but I do know Chaparral uses all treated wood so it shouldn’t rot. 

If the claim is common, there a factory problem here. Water weighs about 9 Lbs a gallon, that weight adds up real quick

1 hour ago, Bt Doctur said:

If the claim is common, there a factory problem here. Water weighs about 9 Lbs a gallon, that weight adds up real quick

Industry issue across lots of brands. 

I dont think that area is part of the transom, but I bet the swim platform backing plates are totally rotted.

12 hours ago, dan02gt said:

Industry issue across lots of brands. 

Does not make it right, and manufacturers should hear about it more often.

It's an outrages defect and easily avoidable when production methods and work culture are on a par.

15 hours ago, dan02gt said:

If it was me i will want to know were it is coming from and how bad it is. Water is known to travel thru fiberglass and blister.

When you have a small crack on fiberglass you want to seal it as soon as possible.

The biggest problem is that no one knows how to drill a hole in fiberglass transoms. For you I/O owners there is something in your transom to get it to a nominal 2 1/4 inches thick , you do not have a solid glass transom.

Properly made there is no void in the transom or anywhere else.

2 hours ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

If it was me i will want to know were it is coming from and how bad it is. Water is known to travel thru fiberglass and blister.

When you have a small crack on fiberglass you want to seal it as soon as possible.

Ok course. The most likely place is the swim platform bolts. I would remove and reseal them. Past that it’s gets really invasive and expensive. Like removing the top cap expensive. 
The vast majority of boats that are more than a few years old have water in places it shouldn’t be and most owners are none the wiser.  The manufacturers just don’t do a good job sealing every possible place and water will find its way in. 

Can we see pics of the whole area? The area in question does not look like the structural transom used for the transom assembly. The only structural portion is the recessed section of the extended v plane hull.