Sign in to follow this  
Dreamboat276

"Charging Battery" red light not lighting after second house battery installed

I just had a second house battery installed professionally for my 2006 chaparral signature 276. Now the "charging battery" red light on the battery switch control panel associated with the VSR module doesn't light when either I'm running the engine (I brought it up to 2200 rpm) or running the generator. The batteries are not charging.

Any suggestions before I have to take her in?

And the house batteries were definitely drawn down as I use a cpap and it quit in the middle of the night after playing the stereo for a few hours... 

I would check to see if he removed the ground to the VSR.

Thank you Iggy. Would I find that at the battery selection panel or attached to the battery charger up against the midships bulkhead, accessible through engine compartment?

I talked to the tech who did the installation a few minutes ago, and he has no idea what it could be. He said, "I have no idea. I'll have to see it." I thought that a bit rude. I know he needs to drive business, but they're so busy right now, you'd think he'd have given me at least one suggestion so I didn't have to come in for such a potential easy fix.

You should find the ground wire attached to the Neg side of the battery. But where? Every model boat is different, I would trace the wire from the VSR.

Sorry to be so ignorant here... Thank you for your patience.

Is the VSR a part of the battery switch panel or is it the actually "battery charger" unit on the midships bulkhead wall? If part of the panel, then it's quite tight down under there and a difficult squeeze for my "middle aged frame" if you will.