5.3 Volvo Penta 300hp?

It seems like a lot of boats I’m finding in the 23-24ft range have the 300hp VP, 5.3 closed cooling system engine.  Are you giving up too much displacement with that engine?  Dealers seem to like it over the 6.2 merc,  they all say it performs better.  Anyone run that engine?

Seems to be reliable, powerful, light and efficient.  I have a Merc 6.2L 350 hp, but wish I had a Volvo Penta 5.3L 350 or VP 6.2L 380.

My Merc does a great job with my boat, but the VP motors are extremely impressive.  

Merc moves away from using GM blocks and seem to have gone to a low technology, displacement =‘s power configuration and VP is using technology =‘s power. 

24 minutes ago, Steve&Steph said:

Seems to be reliable, powerful, light and efficient.  I have a Merc 6.2L 350 hp, but wish I had a Volvo Penta 5.3L 350 or VP 6.2L 380.

My Merc does a great job with my boat, but the VP motors are extremely impressive.  

Merc moves away from using GM blocks and seem to have gone to a low technology, displacement =‘s power configuration and VP is using technology =‘s power. 

They do look impressed. They have a 6.2 with 430hp.

21 hours ago, dan02gt said:

It's based on the Chevy 5.3L LS that goes in the trucks.  Should be a great motor.  I wish my boat had it.

I thought the truck engines were all LS-X with cast iron blocks and aluminum heads? W

On 6/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, Lrdchaos said:

It seems like a lot of boats I’m finding in the 23-24ft range have the 300hp VP, 5.3 closed cooling system engine.  Are you giving up too much displacement with that engine?  Dealers seem to like it over the 6.2 merc,  they all say it performs better.  Anyone run that engine?

Well Did you get your answer, did you found what you wanted.

Not really,  I was hoping there were a few members with actual experience.  I’m hitting up some fb pages with the same question as well.  I’m looking for actual performance,  I’ve watched all these videos.  But I think we are going to hold off until next fall/winter to buy a boat anyway due  to the rush right now.  Let this sellers market cool off and transition into a buyers market once  everyone realizes that boating is expensive and they have to still make boat/storage payments.

i have decided that whatever engine I go with will most likely be the 350hp version though.  I’m not gonna spend 75+ and be underpowered.

3 minutes ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

Ok I am waiting on my 2020 sis with a VP 5.3 350 . I will post my experience and what I think of it. I am hoping to have it in mid June. 

Thank you!