Sign in to follow this  
mrvideo

Noob Needs help with Serpentine belt replacement 8.1 volvo

I am handy with tools and carpentry, but have very limited experience with motors.

My serpentine belt broke, and the local dealer who winterized and stores my boat is telling me July before they can get out.

I have called several others, with no success, so I am going to replace it myself.  I have the belt and a diagram.

Since I have never replaced one before, any help would be greatly appreciated.  BTW i am located in Ventnor if anyone with experience is interested in changing it for a fee.

I looked at it yesterday afternoon.  The first hurtle is the belt goes around  two water hoses going to the impeller(?) and a round metal bar that appears to be bolted to the block.

I see the impeller (?) has 4 small bolts.  Am i better to remove the water hoses and the metal bar vs taking off the 4 bolts holding on what I  think is the impeller ?

Next questions is which pulley is the tensioner?  Or do I loosen the alternator to slip on the belt ?

If anyone has a link to a video, that might answer most of these questions.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lee B.

856-906-2490 

I just searched YouTube for serpentine belt replacement on Volvo Penta boat engine. It came up with several how to videos.

13 minutes ago, Put-Plug-In said:

I just searched YouTube for serpentine belt replacement on Volvo Penta boat engine. It came up with several how to videos.

Put Plug In.. Wow.. that was so NOT helpful..  but thanks for your amazing effort..  I searched youtube before I posted.  If you watched the few things on youtube,  you would see that they arent 8.1 and dont have the water pump.  Seems you are trying to bolster your wopping 14 posts.. thanks for your insite.. 

Looks like we are getting 1 male  & 1 female to tell us off.  Going to be a different summer.  

Here’s a parts diagram. You should be able to put a breaker bar on the tensioner and rotate it counterclockwise to release tension on the belt and remove it. Let the tensioner return slowly using the breaker bar as the manual advises that letting it snap back could damage it.  As far as getting the belt past the raw water pump, I would pull the 4 bolts if it’s time to replace the impeller.  

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744390-30-7102.aspx

If it is not time to change the impeller, pull the hoses and the metal brace. You can do this even with the boat in the water. you will get some water in the bilge so some people plug the hose or lift it above the water line. I would mark the hoses (upper, lower?) because you can mix them up.

Johnfrmcal and Boatman69, 

Thanks for your advice.  I dont have to change the impeller, so i'll go with removing the hoses and the metal brace. 

Since I dont have any plugs that would fit, will clear plastic wrap and a rubber band work ?

Unfortunately its late to try this today, so looks like a project for next weekend.