Dustin Mustangs

Filling fresh water tank

We are FINALLY about to splash our new to us Sunesta and I had trouble filling the fresh water tank today.  Am I just supposed to stick a hose in the water fill cap and let’r rip?  After a minute or so it was over flowing with even a moderate flow of water and the tank only 1/4 full.  I didn’t dig around too much but it appears there is a vent.  Is the vent possibly clogged or do these normally need to be filled with just a trickle?  Is there some other trick I am missing?? Hopefully there is an easier way!

It sounds as if the vent is blocked.  You should be able to stick the hose in and let it rip. 

7 hours ago, mpm330 said:

It sounds as if the vent is blocked.  You should be able to stick the hose in and let it rip. 

Thanks for the reply, I will poke around with it some more and see if I can’t find the problem.  

Well, the vent line had a plug of some pretty nasty stuff in it.  Luckily I had the wherewithal to blow it into the bilge and not into the water system.  Yuk!  

All is good now, thanks for the help!!

:beer-7687-1:

Now that you have cleaned the vent:

You are fillling faster than it vents.

Take an old hose and make an extension you can put about 6" down your waterfill.

Now when you fill it up, don't go full force and you will be fine.

3 hours ago, jeffk said:

Now that you have cleaned the vent:

You are fillling faster than it vents.

Take an old hose and make an extension you can put about 6" down your waterfill.

Now when you fill it up, don't go full force and you will be fine.

Excellent idea and I actually made exactly that earlier today.  Complete with one of those little plastic ball valves so I can regulate the flow right there at the filler.  Works great!  

I had the same problem. To fill you have to stick your water hose down about a foot or so into the fill tube. If you don't, water will flow into the vent line and cause a premature overflow backup.