Saltwater Vs. Freshwater

Hey Mike - where are you and where are the boats?

My main advice is to be cautious and be a smart, informed buyer of salt water boats.  The good, clean ones are going to be much harder to find.  And pictures will not tell you the full story.  If the one you are interested in is not in your area, be sure to have someone that you trust look it over first, before you buy a plane ticket or hire a surveyor & mechanic.  My wounds are still not fully healed from a wasted trip to Miami so do survey and sea trial on one that was supposed to be clean, etc etc  Phrases like "lift kept" won't tell you if the engines were flushed after each use.  Pictures won't tell you if there is any musty odors or cosmetics in the salon (if looking at a cruiser)

Thanks all, Still looking for that freshwater 276 ssx...flew from Pittsburgh to Lake Minnetonka today for the 9.5 out of 10....turns out it was really a 6 out of 10...With the price of a `12 out of 10....At least I made a business trip out of it to Chicago tomorrow...

18 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Millions of boats in Salt Water. It's all about the maintenance that the previous owner performed. Regular flushing. When were or have the risers and manifolds been replaced? 

Plus most saltwater boats have a closed cooling system. This means less rust in the block than a lake boat with an open system. 

Closed coolant systems are cheap enough to make them standard equipment...…………. Pleasure & business boats really do need them Our pleasure boats ARE A TOY to be played with.  They are a expense that should be more reliable. 

2 hours ago, jeffk said:

Really?

Think about it. You have AF in the block 24/7 365 days which means no air. On an open system the top of the block is drained and air can get in. Rust is formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen.  Plus on a open system you have the air that is already mixed into the sea/lake water adding to the oxidation.    

I have freshwater cooling.

I know exactly what it does.

I am saying up to a certain size, most boats have raw water cooling.

Even in a saltwater environment.

Why do you think, on most boating websites there are so many manny and riser  replacement threads.

3 hours ago, jeffk said:

Why do you think, on most boating websites there are so many manny and riser  replacement threads.

Freshwater cooling still uses raw water that runs through the risers, hence why they replace them. It does save the block.

4 hours ago, jeffk said:

Some of the biggest and smallest boats use a closed system.  Size of the engine has nothing to do with it unless your talking about outboards. From a 3L gas engine to the largest diesels can have a closed system.  

https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/engine-cooling-system-tips/  Good reading.

I meant size of the boat.

Nice article, it has nothing to do with amount of boats raw water cooled vs freshwater cooled.

In  my system the block is cooled by raw water.

Raw water cools the antifreeze which in turn cools the manifolds and risers.

My manifolds and risers are cast aluminum......I dont even want to know what they cost to replace.

2 hours ago, jeffk said:

Nice article, it has nothing to do with amount of boats raw water cooled vs freshwater cooled.

My manifolds and risers are cast aluminum......I dont even want to know what they cost to replace.

You right, but I bet there are more closed than open. The bigger the boat the more it is needed.  If the engine does not reach and maintain a proper operating temperature there would be a loss of power and high fuel cost. 

3 hours ago, jeffk said:

If your block is cooled by raw water, that would be a raw water system, no? ie no antifreeze. If not what the heck does your antifreeze cool?

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

You right, but I bet there are more closed than open. The bigger the boat the more it is needed.  If the engine does not reach and maintain a proper operating temperature there would be a loss of power and high fuel cost. 

Thats right, the bigger the boat, the more it is needed....agreed.

There are a lot more small boats than big ones.

3 hours ago, jeffk said:

Thats right, the bigger the boat, the more it is needed....agreed.

There are a lot more small boats than big ones.

It really has nothing to do with size of the engine or boat. It has everything to do with whether or not the boat is in salt or fresh. Generally bigger boats are in the ocean, hence why the numbers are what they are.